Dontavius Jackson Transfers

BMF

UGA sports blog

Jackson will transfer from UGA after DUI arrest

8:25 pm July 14, 2010, by Tim Tucker

Georgia backup tailback Dontavius Jackson, arrested on DUI and other charges last weekend, has decided to transfer to another school, UGA said tonight.

The announcement came three days after Jackson, a redshirt sophomore, was suspended for at least the first six games of the 2010 season by Georgia coach Mark Richt.

Jackson will leave UGA after summer semester. He played in four games last season, rushing for 38 yards on four carries.

He was arrested by UGA Police early Saturday and charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, underage possession of alcohol, leaving the scene of an accident, following too closely, violation of the move-over law and violation of learner’s permit.

Jackson is the fourth player to leave the Georgia football program after arrests this year. Richt dismissed defensive end Montez Robinson, quarterback Zach Mettenberger and backup punter Trent Dittmer from the squad.

Other UGA news on a busy Wednesday:

Dogs break football tradition, drop two-a-days

Facebook page likes Stinchcomb for athletics director

Logan Gray: full-time wide receiver AND backup quarterback?

1 game and he will be fine.

Yep, a one game suspension for underage drinking is probably about right. They just need to lower the drinking age to 18 again like it was when I was in Athens. We are criminalizing a whole generation of kids over this issue....many of whom will have a difficult time getting jobs in the future for something just about everyone does at that age. Ok...all you Baptists flame me.

Yep, a one game suspension for underage drinking is probably about right. They just need to lower the drinking age to 18 again like it was when I was in Athens. We are criminalizing a whole generation of kids over this issue....many of whom will have a difficult time getting jobs in the future for something just about everyone does at that age. Ok...all you Baptists flame me.

the drinking age limit is pathetic.. you can die for your country, but can't have a beer in your hand.. whoever felt the need to make it 21 years old should have been locked away. should be like in canada where the drinking age is 18 in alberta. however 1 game at most is fine, but at other institutions it's not an automatic one game, but at uga it is a suspension.

the drinking age limit is pathetic.. you can die for your country, but can't have a beer in your hand.. whoever felt the need to make it 21 years old should have been locked away. should be like in canada where the drinking age is 18 in alberta. however 1 game at most is fine, but at other institutions it's not an automatic one game, but at uga it is a suspension.

I think it should be like in Germany, 16, 14 if you are with your parents. The problem in this country is the taboo we have on drinking, makes it even more of a thrill to drink underage. If we didn't make it such a big deal, everyone would be dying to get blitzed the first chance they have and then sneak around and drive because they shouldn't be drinking and don't want to be caught.

It is 7 years old in Haiti...why even bother to set that?

Edited by Nicolae

I think it should be like in Germany, 16, 14 if you are with your parents. The problem in this country is the taboo we have on drinking, makes it even more of a thrill to drink underage. If we didn't make it such a big deal, everyone would be dying to get blitzed the first chance they have and then sneak around and drive because they shouldn't be drinking and don't want to be caught.

Fellow UGA fans with same political views that I have. This is too good. ;)

I'm from India where the legal drinking age is 25. However, I have been drinking since 14 and buying alcohol from the store directly. No one checks and no one cares. After a certain point, you should be allowed to live your life. As Sac said, you can die for the country, vote in someone who can tranform (good or bad) the entire country, but not drink.

Edited by Dawgy

i think 18 is a fine age personally.. that is the point that society believes someone is no longer a child, but is at least considered an adult in everything from legal documents to going to fight for one's country. anyways not trying to make this into a non sports thread, but i believe it's just ridiculous. Even though i believe that it's against the law the way it is now so the guys need to if they do drink be smart about it.

Please understand that the island is a third world nation and does not have the same moral or religious beliefs that America or many other nations carry.

Please understand that the island is a third world nation and does not have the same moral or religious beliefs that America or many other nations carry.

I wasn't suggesting we should, that was just an offhand comment about it, asking a rhetorical question. Why set an age at all if you are going to set it at 7? Does it make much difference at that point if the kid is 7, or just 6?

I like the way Germany does it, but with the way American society is, Sac is probably right and below 18 likely won't work. Anyway, I'm not trying to turn this thread either. Next post will be on topic. :D

It was POTUS Ronald Reagan. And it was a foolish thing to do.