Votto Refuses to Acknowledge All Star Teammate

Dharma Initiative

Apparently, Cincinnati Reds slugger Joey Votto(notes) never caught the All-Star spirit.

Votto refused to congratulate Chicago Cubs outfielder Marlon Byrd(notes) on his performance — one that helped the National League claim home-field advantage in the World Series — because Votto's temporary teammate comes from a despised division rival.

Byrd made a head's up play in right field that forced Boston's David Ortiz(notes) at second base, and also worked a key walk in a seventh-inning rally that led to the NL's first victory at the All-Star game since 1996.

Such an effort certainly is worth a high five ... a handshake ... a wave ... a wink ... a nod ... a glance ... a happy thought.

Not from Pal Joey.

Via the planetary front-runner, ESPN:

"I don't like the Cubs," Votto said. "And I'm not going to pat anybody with a Cubs uniform on the back. But because he made that really cool play, it turned out to be a really cool experience. I'm really glad we got the win today."

What a leech — and a sorry excuse for an All-Star.

Even if the harmless Cubs weren't 10 1/2 games behind the first-place Reds in the NL Central, you're supposed to check the intraleague rivalries at the door for the All-Star Game. Ask ... oh, anybody who's ever made a team for either side.

Votto obviously is new here.

And, how did he help the NL win? Oh, yeah, he didn't. Votto went 0 for 2.

He should have made the NL roster the first time around but needed to win a final Internet vote to be recognized. The "Vote Votto" process should have made Votto especially happy to be in Anaheim. Yet, he seems to be harboring lingering bitterness about ... something.

Or maybe that's just how he is.

-----------------------------------

Kind of a jackass move, but I would probably like it if he was on my team and did it to a rival

There is a reason why his NL mates or Charlie Manuel chose him as an AllStar, care to question why now...I know nothing about dude but if Pujols can root for Byrd and Wright/Manuel/Howard can root for Mac...

Gimmie a break... That's almost as bad of a take as the author had...

You can't tell me that if you saw Jon Scheyer give the fake high-five to Tyler Zeller you wouldn't laugh your *** off...

These guys aren't in tee ball anymore where they don't keep score and everybody gets a trophy at the end of the season... It's a freaking RIVALRY... You're not supposed to like the other guy...

You can't tell me that if you saw Jon Scheyer give the fake high-five to Tyler Zeller you wouldn't laugh your *** off...

These guys aren't in tee ball anymore where they don't keep score and everybody gets a trophy at the end of the season... It's a freaking RIVALRY... You're not supposed to like the other guy...

While I would laugh cuz that right there is just funny, this is a MLB Allstar game where REAL rivals like Cubs/Cardinals, Red Sox/Yankees push it to the side for one night of league solidarity.

I do appreciate Joey's "passion" for HIS rivalry but shi±±ng on a kid asking for an autograph is overkill IMO!!!

I do appreciate Joey's "passion" for HIS rivalry but shi±±ng on a kid asking for an autograph is overkill IMO!!!

Stupid kid couldn't even pronounce his name right... Plus, being a Cubs fan, he needs to get used to disappointment... :D

This

Wow, I love Votto's attitude here. Seriously. It's nice that at least one major leaguer takes rivalries seriously.

and this

Stupid kid couldn't even pronounce his name right... Plus, being a Cubs fan, he needs to get used to disappointment... :D

and especially this.

F those Cub fans. The windy city blows.