Bluegrass & american folk music

Tony Rice is definitely on the right path. Get "Whiskey Before Breakfast" by Norman Blake. Anything by him is good, but that's just ridiculously good.

I like Gillian Welch and Old Crow Medicine Show a lot out of the younger crowd. The Steeldrivers are a bit more edgy but they're good too.

Jerry Garcia and David Grisman, yes Jerry Garcia from the grateful dead, he loved bluegrass so much he let out a couple of albums of it. ;) He was really good at it too. RIP. ;)

http://www.amazon.com/Grisman-Garcia-David/dp/B00000390S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1279153380&sr=8-2

jerry garcia's bluegrass side is my favorite thing he ever really did. I love Garcia and Grisman, and his bludgrass band Old And In The Way

Plenty of good suggestions here. You also can't go wrong with anything from the Carter family.

And John Prine is a national treasure. NPR has a 4 hour radio show on Saturday nights starting at 8 pM called backroads and blue highways. That's where I found out about Old Crow Medicine show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHio-0Z7yKg&feature=related

Jerry Douglas is, by almost any account, one of the best Dobro players to have ever met the instrument. Now a fixture in Alison Krauss' band Union Station, Douglas is also an accomplished solo artist, and has lent his gift to artists like the Country Gentlemen, J.D. Crowe & The New South, Paul Simon, Earl Scruggs, James Taylor, and the list goes on.

jerry garcia's bluegrass side is my favorite thing he ever really did. I love Garcia and Grisman, and his bludgrass band Old And In The Way

Old and In the Way is great, I love their cover of Wild Horses. Grateful Dawg is good, that was just Garcia and Grisman, and if you like Tony Rice you absolutely owe it to yourself to buy The Pizza Tapes. It's Garcia, Grisman and Rice jamming at one of their houses and thank God they were recording it. Some of the best music I've ever heard in my life.

Old and in the Way, which was Jerry Garcia, Grisman, Peter Rowan, Vassar Clements and more. Any of their side projects are pretty good too.

Definitely Doc Watson. Great dude, and you can still catch him live up in Boone, NC.

Edit: And yes, Gillian Welch is top notch. Her albums Time (the Revelator) and Soul Journey are just amazing. She always plays with David Rawlings who is a great guitar player.

Edited by The Monarch

Old and in the Way, which was Jerry Garcia, Grisman, Peter Rowan, Vassar Clements and more. Any of their side projects are pretty good too.

Definitely Doc Watson. Great dude, and you can still catch him live up in Boone, NC.

Edit: And yes, Gillian Welch is top notch. Her albums Time (the Revelator) and Soul Journey are just amazing. She always plays with David Rawlings who is a great guitar player.

I just recently realized it was Gillian and David at the ticket booth in this vid. ^_^

I just recently realized it was Gillian and David at the ticket booth in this vid. ^_^

Probably the best song written in the past 20 years (their part, Dylan wrote his in the 60's) and as close to an instant classic as I've heard in a long time. Every single time I pick up my acoustic, it is the very first song I play and sing.

You can go to shoutcast.com and type in bluegrass and it will take to you a bunch of bluegrass internet radio stations that they have. It's a great way to hear and find stuff you may like that otherwise you may never hear of. It works for almost all genres of music.

Edited by gatorsurf