Shaq could be headed to Atlanta

dyoshot

From AJC

(UPDATE: NBA.com is reporting the Cavaliers’ interest in Marvin Williams, who has been a huge disappointment for the Hawks, is to the point that they’re trying to acquire him from Atlanta in a sign and trade for Shaq. The deal would give the Hawks’ payroll relief.)

Atlanta has budget limitations after agreeing to give guard Joe Johnson a $124 million max contract, with ownership unlikely to approve a deal for O’Neal or any other backup center that goes much above the veteran minimum. The Hawks are also interested in free agent center Brad Miller and Bucks free agent center Kurt Thomas.

Cleveland got a $14.5 million trade exception by agreeing to a sign-and-trade deal for LeBron James to Miami, in addition to two future draft picks from the Heat. The Cavs could use part of the exception to absorb Williams’s $6.7 million salary for next season.

Atlanta also got a trade exception, worth about $2.9 million, when it agreed to a sign-and-trade deal that will send free agent forward Josh Childress to the Phoenix Suns for a future draft pick, and can use that exception to acquire a player making that much money.

The Cavs’ new general manager, Chris Grant, was working as the Hawks’ assistant GM when Atlanta took Williams with the second pick overall in the 2005 Draft, opting to take him over point guards Deron Williams (who went third to Utah) and Chris Paul (fourth to New Orleans).

I for one would LOVE this. I don't even care what the Hawks are getting back, I just would be happy to see Marvin Williams off this team.

Good move for both teams. Marvin might actually get to start at the 3 spot that the Cavs have a huge vacancy at and with Shaq we can move Al to the 4 and have some size against Orlando... Then all we would have to do is trade J Smoove to San Antonio for Parker and we could be a serious contender in the East next year.

Even though I am not a fan of Marvin, if I'm Cleveland I have to make this trade happen. Shaq was not in their plans anyway because Scott wants a more uptempo team, and they need to stop the bleeding now that Ilgauskas and Lebron are now in MIA. This fanbase needs to see their team is doing something.

The TPE is actually around 3.6 mil, so that part of the article is wrong. This trade doesn't make much sense. I know Shaq wants more money than the MLE from us, and the Sign and Trade is the only way to get it, but the Cavs aren't in a real strong bargaining position here. They have no adequate SF, and Marvin can at least be that. Marvin, although vastly bust-worthy, would be better in our new motion offense. If we moved Marvin in this deal, the only 3 pt shooter we would have in our starting rotation is JJ. That's not good.

I want Shaq here badly, but not for Marvin in a sign and trade straight up.

Good move for both teams. Marvin might actually get to start at the 3 spot that the Cavs have a huge vacancy at and with Shaq we can move Al to the 4 and have some size against Orlando... Then all we would have to do is trade J Smoove to San Antonio for Parker and we could be a serious contender in the East next year.

did u seriously just say trade j-smoove for parker and we would be playoff contenders??? :wacko:

Al looks REALLY good when he does that 10 foot jumper, he makes that shot at some rediculously high percentage, & this move would put him in that position about 5x as much. Al in the 4 spot would probably jump up to 20 ppg. And Shaq would add 5-6 more rebounds & another blocked shot. Not to mention in 23 min play time Shaq averaged 12 ppg vs. Marvin's 30 min play time & 10 ppg. So the fact that we lose one of our few 3-pt shooters isn't going to matter. Al gets more points at the 4-spot, Shaq gets more rebonds/blocks/points under the basket & forces other teams to shoot outside lower percentage jumpers (where we actually play our best defense), & after Shaq does his job for 20-25 mins/game, Al shifts back inside & Jamal gets his 30 minutes.

This changes everything for the better IMO. And even though Howard is a freaking stud, I don't care who you are, it's a challenge contending for position in the paint vs. a 7'1" 325lb body. Al is NOT a center, Jason is too light & dumb as a stump, & Randalph isn't athletic enough. And even at 38, Shaq is better than Brad Miller... that is if Shaq can manage to not miss 30 games due to injury. I think he'd like playing in Atlanta too. He'd have the spotlight because there's no prima-donnas here. And this might actually make things easier on JJ too, take a bit of the pressure off him. Lord knows he hates the camera.

Al looks REALLY good when he does that 10 foot jumper, he makes that shot at some rediculously high percentage, & this move would put him in that position about 5x as much. Al in the 4 spot would probably jump up to 20 ppg. And Shaq would add 5-6 more rebounds & another blocked shot. Not to mention in 23 min play time Shaq averaged 12 ppg vs. Marvin's 30 min play time & 10 ppg. So the fact that we lose one of our few 3-pt shooters isn't going to matter. Al gets more points at the 4-spot, Shaq gets more rebonds/blocks/points under the basket & forces other teams to shoot outside lower percentage jumpers (where we actually play our best defense), & after Shaq does his job for 20-25 mins/game, Al shifts back inside & Jamal gets his 30 minutes.

This changes everything for the better IMO. And even though Howard is a freaking stud, I don't care who you are, it's a challenge contending for position in the paint vs. a 7'1" 325lb body. Al is NOT a center, Jason is too light & dumb as a stump, & Randalph isn't athletic enough. And even at 38, Shaq is better than Brad Miller... that is if Shaq can manage to not miss 30 games due to injury. I think he'd like playing in Atlanta too. He'd have the spotlight because there's no prima-donnas here. And this might actually make things easier on JJ too, take a bit of the pressure off him. Lord knows he hates the camera.

+1

Great post. I agree. Also, I really don't want Brad Miller here. I follow the Kings alot and have for a while since I lived there. He's very soft and whiney. Never liked him.

+1

Great post. I agree. Also, I really don't want Brad Miller here. I follow the Kings alot and have for a while since I lived there. He's very soft and whiney. Never liked him.

Brad Miller is awful. There's a reason he's been on like 17 different teams and never stuck with one.

Jesus christ tell me you arent serious?!?! Why in the h3ll would you trade a young very good shot blocker, for a point guard who has about 2 years left before he is done. You have lost your mind if you think Tony Parker is the missing piece to Atlanta contending in the east. Our missing piece is a big body down low to stop Dwight Howard.

Chris Paul I'd do it, but no way for Parker. Dude is getting up there in age. Almost out of his prime. Cp3 is still in his prime. Cp3, Joe, and horford is a team to build around.

Yeah. There are very few aging PG's I would consider trading for. Tony Parker isn't one of them.