BREAKING NEWS!

sdogg

Here are more details from 790thezone:

ATLANTA – The Atlanta Braves and Toronto Blue Jays announced today that the two clubs have completed a five-player trade. The Braves have acquired shortstop Alex Gonzalez, left-handed minor-league pitcher Tim Collins and minor-league shortstop Tyler Pastornicky from the Blue Jays in exchange for shortstop Yunel Escobar and left-handed pitcher Jo-Jo Reyes. <BR minmax_bound="true"><BR minmax_bound="true">Gonzalez, 33, is in the midst of one of his finest offensive seasons. He entered the All-Star break with a .259 batting average, 17 home runs, 25 doubles and 50 RBIs. Gonzalez currently ranks tied for fifth in the American League with 43 extra-base hits.<BR minmax_bound="true"><BR minmax_bound="true">"This trade improves our club for the second half of the season," Executive Vice President and General Manager Frank Wren said. "We have been looking at ways to strengthen our club offensively and Alex Gonzalez is a proven veteran player who gives us added power. He is a winner and a solid offensive presence in the lineup as well as a quality defensive shortstop."<BR minmax_bound="true"><BR minmax_bound="true">Gonzalez began his career with Florida in 1998 and was a National League All-Star in 1999. He was part of the Marlins’ World Series Championship team in 2003. In addition to the Blue Jays, he has also played for Boston (2006 and 2009) and Cincinnati (2007-2009). He missed the entire 2008 season due to a compression fracture in his left knee. Gonzalez will wear uniform #2.<BR minmax_bound="true">In 1,314 career games over his 12-year major league career, Gonzalez has collected 1,172 hits with 131 home runs and 571 RBIs. He is signed through the 2010 season, with a Club option for 2011.<BR minmax_bound="true"><BR minmax_bound="true">Collins, 20, has appeared in 35 games for Double-A New Hampshire this season, with a 2.51 ERA, a .174 opponents’ batting average and 73 strikeouts with just 16 walks in 43.0 innings pitched. He was named to a Florida State League Mid-Season All-Star in 2009 and was named by Baseball America as a High Class-A All-Star in 2008.<BR minmax_bound="true"><BR minmax_bound="true">Pastornicky, 20, has batted .258 with six home runs, 35 RBIs at 24 stolen bases in 77 games for Class-A Dunedin this season. He was the Blue Jays’ fifth-round selection in the 2008 Draft.<BR minmax_bound="true">Escobar, 27, batted .238 with no home runs and 19 RBIs in 75 games for the Braves this season. <BR minmax_bound="true"><BR minmax_bound="true">Reyes, 25, appeared in one game for the Braves in 2010 and owns a 5-15 career record with a 6.40 ERA in 41 games (37 starts).

I think we still make another move for an outfielder.

Escobar has TONS of potential, but we need production now and less hardheadedness.

So do I. We have plenty of pitchers we can deal to get another bat. We are going to make a serious run for the WS.

I'm stunned right now. No way did I see this coming. :mellow: I hate to see Escobar go because of his huge potential and the fact that this may just be one of those flukey bad years players have sometimes. Alex Gonzalez is a decent defensive shortstop but no where near Escobar's level. And just wow! I'll have to think about this some more.