R.I.P. George Steinbrenner

eplayerj

EJ, there are some people up here (die hard Yankees fans) that are in shock!!! One guy came into my office almost crying (that's how I found out). RIP George!

Edit: Talk about ROI, purchased for 10 million (so I was told), worth over a billion!!!

The Boss dies at age 80. He was a heel but he put together a championship franchise and now it worth over a billion dollars.

Smartest sports executive ever. Knew that it took money to make more. Built an unbreakable empire off of a modest initial investment and created the model for sports-television relationships that changed the game for cable television forever. Rest in peace Big George.

first their public address announcer, Bob Sheppard, and now George....wow.....since these things happen in 3's, is Jeter next?

Be alot of women offing themselves if Jeter was the third.

Andrews, I was a big time Yankees fan before I moved to Atlanta. I loved baseball. Was lucky to see a Yankees game at Yankees stadium as a kid. Even saw my Idol Reggie Jackson and that crazy swing.

Then we moved to Atlanta, I grew a football body and now I am a Braves fan and til this day I won't wear a Yankees hat. Just can't do it. I respect G.S. and still fuming that they hurt Atlanta's Back to back seasons.

RIP George.

He helped build the Yankees and ruin the game. This story will dominate ESPN before, during, and after the All Star Game.

Know the name "Carl Pohlad?"

Probably not; he owned the Twins for 25 years, brought them two World Series titles, and died 2 years ago at the age of 93. Think he got all-day coverage? No. He got an article and a mention between Boston/NY/Lakers coverage.

Skip Caray called games for the Hawks and Braves for over 25 years. Mike Wilbon stated on PTI a few months ago that he looks forward to hearing Skip call games on TBS this summer. RIP SKIP, who died in August of 2008. I don't think he'll make the same mistake with Bob Shephard.

RIP George.

He helped build the Yankees and ruin the game. This story will dominate ESPN before, during, and after the All Star Game.

Probably not; he owned the Twins for 25 years, brought them two World Series titles, and died 2 years ago at the age of 93. Think he got all-day coverage? No. He got an article and a mention between Boston/NY/Lakers coverage.

Skip Caray called games for the Hawks and Braves for over 25 years. Mike Wilbon stated on PTI a few months ago that he looks forward to hearing Skip call games on TBS this summer. RIP SKIP, who died in August of 2008. I don't think he'll make the same mistake with Bob Shephard.

Yes because this is the first time that ESPN has done this when a famous sports star has died :rolleyes:

Right, every owner that has died got all-day coverage. :rolleyes: back at you.

Walter Payton didn't even get this kind of coverage.

Thats not what i said is it? I said like this is the first time this has happened, as in ESPN has never done this for anyone else EVER. And if you think this is the first time they've done this then you havent watched a lot of tv.

Did you say the same thing when Michael Jackson died?

Wtf??! :angry:

R.I.P. George Steinbrenner.

jeter fan, eh? :P no intent behind it.....just that there's an "old wives tale" that deaths always happen in threes. in this case, first the voice of the yankees in Sheppard, now the owner of the yankees is Steinbrenner, so who's next.....the face of the yankees? like i said, no intent meant behind it.....just saying.

Thats not what i said is it? I said like this is the first time this has happened, as in ESPN has never done this for anyone else EVER. And if you think this is the first time they've done this then you havent watched a lot of tv.

Did you say the same thing when Michael Jackson died?

Oh, I misunderstood what you said then. This isn't the first time they've done this, but this is the most coverage I've seen on an owner. This is more coverage than Steve McNair got, and he was murdered.

I didn't care for Steinbrenner, nor for his tactics. I'm a huge Michael Jackson fan and will always be fond of his music, since I grew up on it. And even with MJ, he got too much coverage.

But with MJ, you change it from CNN and you get less coverage; you can choose a different news network. With Steinbrenner, he is dominating the only sports network available to me: ESPN. I can't change the channel to hear about other sports news.

No offense to George's memory, but I will not be watching too much ESPN for a bit. If that old announcer guy for the Yankees got two days of coverage, George will get at least a week's worth.

yup. and i'm sure that tonight's all star game will be almost unwatchable....

RIP Mr. Steinbrenner. ;)

He bought a couple of world series but at the same time, it proved that you couldn't buy a world series at all the misses he had because of chemistry. Something the Miami Heat may should have studied. Just because you get the most expensive players together, doesn't mean your going to win. Teams win, individuals don't.

But I would have to say. he was a genius on how he handled the marketing of the Yankees. ;)

Edited by nativefalcon

RIP George.

I'd give you a plus hundred if I could. +1. It is a travesty to see how ESPN fawns over certain teams or people and yet so many other sports figures get routinely overlooked.