Help need from people who use photoshop

Google is your best friend...

I think the hardest thing most people grasp while learning (or an easy "gotcha" that can cause you to give up) is layers. Learn about them first and foremost and the simple tools (brush, eraser, pen, shapes, and color picker etc.) But once you understand what layers are and can remember to check which layer you're working on, you'll be fine. Remember that adding text with the text tool will create a text layer that will make you think you can't do anything else (until you realize you're on the text layer and you have to click off of it and onto an editable layer before continuing with any other art).

Video tutorials are far easier than anything people are going to be able to provide on a board (unless someone proves me wrong...) so I would just search for "photoshop tutorials" on youtube to get you started. Banner art and message board art is not much different than any other computer art, so you'll be fine, but I bet you can even find tutorials for that stuff, specifically.

Great layers tutorial:

General getting started tutorial:

Banner tutorial:

(Yes it's lame and for myspace, but it's beginner, and it's easy to follow along and he explains most of the steps, which most people fly through...)

Hope those help and get you started. Look around and if you run into a bind specifically on something and need help, PM me or post here and I'll help you out. Just be specific about what your problem is or what you're not understanding. Put the time in and it's a fun and easy program to learn.

Edited by chrispcall

• 1 month later...

Google is your best friend...

I think the hardest thing most people grasp while learning (or an easy "gotcha" that can cause you to give up) is layers. Learn about them first and foremost and the simple tools (brush, eraser, pen, shapes, and color picker etc.) But once you understand what layers are and can remember to check which layer you're working on, you'll be fine. Remember that adding text with the text tool will create a text layer that will make you think you can't do anything else (until you realize you're on the text layer and you have to click off of it and onto an editable layer before continuing with any other art).

Video tutorials are far easier than anything people are going to be able to provide on a board (unless someone proves me wrong...) so I would just search for "photoshop tutorials" on youtube to get you started. Banner art and message board art is not much different than any other computer art, so you'll be fine, but I bet you can even find tutorials for that stuff, specifically.

Great layers tutorial:

General getting started tutorial:

Banner tutorial:

(Yes it's lame and for myspace, but it's beginner, and it's easy to follow along and he explains most of the steps, which most people fly through...)

Hope those help and get you started. Look around and if you run into a bind specifically on something and need help, PM me or post here and I'll help you out. Just be specific about what your problem is or what you're not understanding. Put the time in and it's a fun and easy program to learn.

This is how I learned, but when you are comfortable using layers and know your way around the program a bit, check with your local PPA and take an advanced class. Suzette Allen goes around the country teaching these and it's well worth it. Usually about $500 for a 5 day class (for PPA members).