Switzerland rejects US extradition of Roman Polanski

IceStone

I never knew this about Roman Polanski until it became news. Don't think I will watch any more of his movies.

Link

Authorities in Switzerland have decided not to extradite film director Roman Polanski to the US to face sentencing for a case dating back to 1977.

Polanski, aged 76, has been under house arrest in his Swiss chalet since December 2009 pending the decision.

The filmmaker is wanted in California over a conviction for unlawful sex with a 13-year-old girl.

The US was "deeply disappointed" with the decision, a senior justice department official said.

Los Angeles District Attorney Steve Cooley's office, which had sought to have Polanski returned to Los Angeles, was also expected to issue a formal statement shortly.

After the Swiss ruling, Polanski paid "massive thanks" to his supporters.

"I simply want, from the bottom of my heart, to thank all those who supported me and tell them today of my great satisfaction," the Polish-born French filmmaker said in a statement released to the AFP news agency by his lawyer Herve Temime.

Polanski also reportedly left his luxurious Alpine chalet in the resort of Gstaad for an unknown destination.

'National interests'

Earlier on Monday, Swiss Justice Minister Eveline Widmer-Schlumpf said "the measures taken to restrict the freedom of Mr Polanski have already been lifted, the electronic tag has been removed".

Continue reading the main story

The great Franco-Polish director will from now on be able to rejoin his friends and family and work fully on his artistic projects

Bernard Kouchner French Foreign Minister

The justice ministry said that the US authorities had failed to provide confidential testimony about Polanski's original sentencing procedure.

"The reason for the decision lies in the fact that it was not possible to exclude with the necessary certainty a fault in the US extraditionary request."

Polanski was originally charged with six offences including rape and sodomy over the 1977 case.

In 1978, he pleaded guilty to unlawful sex following a plea bargain. He served 42 days in a US prison.

He has always maintained he was promised a short sentence, but he fled the US after hearing rumours that the judge was about to re-sentence him for a much longer term. He has never returned to the US.

On Monday, the Swiss said that the US authorities simply had not clarified the issue of length of sentence and therefore had not made a convincing case for extradition.

The justice ministry added that that national interests were taken into consideration in the decision.

A Swiss official said the US cannot appeal the decision.

'Overjoyed'

Polanski was taken into custody in Switzerland in September last year as he travelled from France to collect a lifetime achievement award at the Zurich Film Festival.

Polanski, whose films include Rosemary's Baby and The Pianist, was moved from prison and placed under house arrest at Gstaad in early December.

Polanski's wife, French actress Emmanuelle Seigner, said she was overjoyed at the decision.

She said: "It is with great pleasure that I have just learned of my husband's release. For me and for my children it is the end of a nightmare that has lasted more than nine months.

"I am really looking forward to being able to make plans and to once again have a normal family life, especially with my children, who did not deserve this suffering," she added in a statement.

Polanski's release was also welcomed by French politicians and artists.

"The great Franco-Polish director will from now on be able to rejoin his friends and family and work fully on his artistic projects," French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner said.

The Polish foreign ministry also welcomed the Swiss decision.

Dude just never seemed appropriately sad about all that to me. When asked how long Abigal Folger and her bF had been staying there, he said " too long, apparently."

Yea dude, your wife and unborn baby were slaughtered and she died begging for her baby's life. crack a joke or two.

That on top of (bordering) child molestation i think i'm gonna not like this guy.

Dude just never seemed appropriately sad about all that to me. When asked how long Abigal Folger and her bF had been staying there, he said " too long, apparently."

Yea dude, your wife and unborn baby were slaughtered and she died begging for her baby's life. crack a joke or two.

50369690.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=E41C9FE5C4AA0A14014F1A47E0B7137B6328981B8120EBEA1D055C8275CD1412B01E70F2B3269972

This pic does make me feel bad for him. This was a day after the murders. Notice the blood on the patio and "PIG" written on the door in his wife's blood. It's obvious that he was devastated, but the fact remains that he raped a child and escaped justice.

*An interesting note: Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails was the last person to live in that house before it was torn down (Despite the prime location, no one wanted anything to do with that property). Reznor built a recording studio in the den where the murders were committed and that's where he recorded "The downward spiral" and Marilyn Manson recorded his debut album there as well. He also kept the infamous front door from the house and installed it in his recording studio in New Orleans.

50369690.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=E41C9FE5C4AA0A14014F1A47E0B7137B6328981B8120EBEA1D055C8275CD1412B01E70F2B3269972

This pic does make me feel bad for him. This was a day after the murders. Notice the blood on the patio and "PIG" written on the door in his wife's blood. It's obvious that he was devastated, but the fact remains that he raped a child and escaped justice.

*An interesting note: Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails was the last person to live in that house before it was torn down (Despite the prime location, no one wanted anything to do with that property). Reznor built a recording studio in the den where the murders were committed and that's where he recorded "The downward spiral" and Marilyn Manson recorded his debut album there as well. He also kept the infamous front door from the house and installed it in his recording studio in New Orleans.

Go find " six degrees of Helter Skelter" The cover may look like a cheap cheese movie, but it is actually very informative . Dude visits all the sites, a lot of the surrounding area and tells a lot of stories like that.

As far as Roman goes, some of his movies are among my faves. "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Pianist" in particular.

And now I read the victim who is of course now an adult woman wants everyone just to let it go.Pleased he is a free man...

According to people close to him and Sharon's sister, he was devastated. I don't quite buy into that "he didn't care" assumption.

Go find " six degrees of Helter Skelter" The cover may look like a cheap cheese movie, but it is actually very informative . Dude visits all the sites, a lot of the surrounding area and tells a lot of stories like that.

As far as Roman goes, some of his movies are among my faves. "Rosemary's Baby" and "The Pianist" in particular.

And now I read the victim who is of course now an adult woman wants everyone just to let it go.Pleased he is a free man...

Rosemary's Baby is one of my alltime favorite movies, and IMO, the ultimate "anti-horror" movie. I thought it was brilliant that Anton Lavey portrayed the devil in the rape scene.

To the main topic at hand, there are more important things to do than chase someone for statutory rape.

I don't condone having sex with minors but it's pathetic for people to act like Polanski should be lynched. The obsession over it is insane. It's not like he is a threat to society and needs to be jailed.

If it were rape, yes. In this case, move the **** on.

To the main topic at hand, there are more important things to do than chase someone for statutory rape.

I don't condone having sex with minors but it's pathetic for people to act like Polanski should be lynched. The obsession over it is insane. It's not like he is a threat to society and needs to be jailed.

I could be mistaken, but if I recall he gave this girl qualudes (sp?) and sodomized her anally when she passed out. That's always why there was so much outrage over him getting away with it, I don't just think it was just a consensual act with an underage girl.

I could be mistaken, but if I recall he gave this girl qualudes (sp?) and sodomized her anally when she passed out. That's always why there was so much outrage over him getting away with it, I don't just think it was just a consensual act with an underage girl.

I'm not positive of all of the facts so I can't really comment on the depth of the case but if enough was questionable to lessen the charge to statutory rape, I still think chasing him is a waste of time. The time our law enforcement spends trying to locate and get him sent back could be spent on more important things going on right now.

EDIT: So it appears the charges were lessened because the Prosecutor wanted to protect the identity of the victim? I don't see that as a justification of giving an actual rapist a weaker charge.

Edited by Mojo Risin

Six degrees of Helter Skelter was more of a memorabilia hunt than an actual documentary. The history channel's special on Manson was more dependent on facts than the "six degrees of how to collect Manson memorabilia."

Ahh, Mojo and his endless quest to always be the contrarian.

If you didn't like the movie, which I suspect you have not seen by your remarks, cool. But it has a ton of info about Manson and the family. I mean yea, the guy picked up a hubcap at the Spahn ranch site and showed a few things fans had sent him outside of Manson stuff. But he also gave quite the tour of where stuff happened and a ton of information on a lot of Peripheral people and events that all tied together.

I'm glad the history channel had something about actual history though. I did learn that much from your post.

having sex with a girl under the age of consent, and a drugged one at that, IS rape. adding statutory before it may change it from a legal angle but it doesn't change it from what it really is..rape.

However, if the girl who was raped now says she does not wish for prosecution, I say that should be the end of the case. It's obvious she would never cooperate in court and he probably has too many sympathizers to waste the time and money and effort on.

I mean, no one wants to prosecute Melanie Griffith who Tatum Oneal said gave her drugs and had sex with her when she was underage.

Ahh, Mojo and his endless quest to always be the contrarian.

If you didn't like the movie, which I suspect you have not seen by your remarks, cool. But it has a ton of info about Manson and the family. I mean yea, the guy picked up a hubcap at the Spahn ranch site and showed a few things fans had sent him outside of Manson stuff. But he also gave quite the tour of where stuff happened and a ton of information on a lot of Peripheral people and events that all tied together.

I'm glad the history channel had something about actual history though. I did learn that much from your post.

No, I watched it. I wouldn't comment on it had I not viewed it. All he did was show spots of happenings and ex-residences. There were brief tid-bits of info. It was weak and watered down. The guy started find-a-death.com and spent most of this movie searching for memorabilia. The fact that he spent so much time investigating who lived close to the Whiskey a go-go showed the credibility of the project.

having sex with a girl under the age of consent, and a drugged one at that, IS rape. adding statutory before it may change it from a legal angle but it doesn't change it from what it really is..rape.

However, if the girl who was raped now says she does not wish for prosecution, I say that should be the end of the case. It's obvious she would never cooperate in court and he probably has too many sympathizers to waste the time and money and effort on.

I mean, no one wants to prosecute Melanie Griffith who Tatum Oneal said gave her drugs and had sex with her when she was underage.

It's quite fashionable to get on this "lynch Roman Polanski" trip and I for one am surprised that you tag along to it. -_-

It's quite fashionable to get on this "lynch Roman Polanski" trip and I for one am surprised that you tag along to it. -_-

When disliking people who rape drugged children goes out of fashion, stop the world and let me off, man.

And actually I said in that post if the victim doesn't want to prosecute, that should be that.

But why should there be a time limit on hating a disgusting act?