Florida football misuses Facebook

unconquered.

GAINESVILLE – A rival school turned Florida football into the Southeastern Conference for improper use of Facebook as part of the Gators' four secondary NCAA violations committed in the last year, Florida revealed in response to an open-records request from the Sentinel.

A Florida assistant posted on the Facebook walls of two recruits on Aug. 5, which an opposing school monitored and turned into the conference. Florida then self-reported an assistant's Facebook wall posting to a recruit on Aug. 7, a separate violation.

The names of the assistant coaches or the whistle-blowing school were not revealed in Florida's records.

For each offense, the coach was reminded of the interpretation and prohibited from written communication in recruiting for a two-week period. Coaches can have electronic conversation with recruits through e-mail – and direct messaging via Facebook qualifies – but posting on a recruit's Facebook wall is not allowed, according to NCAA rules.

The Sentinel requested all major and secondary violations committed by the UF football team from June 1, 2009 to June 15, 2010. A similar request from the 2008-09 period showed Florida committing two secondary violations.

Get the Sunday Sentinel delivered to your home for only $.80 a week!

Florida also self-reported violations for "impermissible protective gear" on Sept. 11, which led to conduct rules education with the coaches and equipment staff, and two assistants calling a recruit twice in the same week on Oct. 29. As punishment for the calls, Florida prohibited its staff from calling the recruit for a two-week period.

Secondary violations are nothing new in the competitive world of SEC recruiting. Former Tennessee coach Lane Kiffin committed numerous secondary violations during his first six months on the job before the 2009 season.

Stupid move on the assistant's part... guessing it won't amount to much though...

Pretty sure it's also supposed to be a violation when a fan posts on a recruit's wall like this as well... no clue how they would enforce that as I'm sure it happens with every school in the country...

I'm also very excited to find out from that article that I can get the Sunday Sentinel delivered to my home for only $.80 a week!

The part below is what I cut n pasted from the article which just blows my mind.

Coaches can have electronic conversation with recruits through e-mail – and direct messaging via Facebook qualifies – but posting on a recruit's Facebook wall is not allowed, according to NCAA rules.

That's just some amazing sh*t to me. So, a coach can email the recruit, and use the IM function of Facebook to communicate, but he cannot post on his "Wall" :wacko: :wacko: ???

Granted, I'm not a Facebook user, but these rules seem to create a distinction without difference. Things like that just create opportunities for coaches to committ violations without necessarily even trying to.

The part below is what I cut n pasted from the article which just blows my mind.

Coaches can have electronic conversation with recruits through e-mail – and direct messaging via Facebook qualifies – but posting on a recruit's Facebook wall is not allowed, according to NCAA rules.

That's just some amazing sh*t to me. So, a coach can email the recruit, and use the IM function of Facebook to communicate, but he cannot post on his "Wall" :wacko: :wacko: ???

Granted, I'm not a Facebook user, but these rules seem to create a distinction without difference. Things like that just create opportunities for coaches to committ violations without necessarily even trying to.

well that is a big difference. emailing a recruit is one thing, posting on a wall for everyone who are his friends including other recruits to see is another.. one on one communication is fine, but when you are posting on a wall that is no longer the case.

well that is a big difference. emailing a recruit is one thing, posting on a wall for everyone who are his friends including other recruits to see is another.. one on one communication is fine, but when you are posting on a wall that is no longer the case.

But what's the difference if other recruits can see it? I understand that there is a distinction between email/IM and posting in a public forum, but I don't know that there is much of a difference; unless someone can tell me why letting other recruits see something like that would be bad. It just seems like an unnecessarily complicated set of rules regarding contact with recruits.

But what's the difference if other recruits can see it? I understand that there is a distinction between email/IM and posting in a public forum, but I don't know that there is much of a difference; unless someone can tell me why letting other recruits see something like that would be bad. It just seems like an unnecessarily complicated set of rules regarding contact with recruits.

coaches are limited in their contact with recruits, by allowing them to publicly post messages to recruits they can get by that with putting up messages that are to a recruit, but designed for others as well. Like I said when you email it's a one to one communication, but that isn't the case when you are posting on a wall. It's easy to see IMO why they wouldn't let that. You should be able to see the difference in the type of communication we are talking about.

most schools do this, just some school cried about it and florida got busted

no most schools don't post on recruit's facebook walls and if they did they would get caught by their rivals and turned in. now if you meant most schools have some sort of secondary violations that is correct.