Training camp battles

Izo#2883

More and more TC battles are taking shape from depth to starting positions, so I was wondering if we could make a list of what matchups we're looking forward to, so that when TC start, we (AFMB users) can get the most coverage on those exact battles?

It was just an idea, since Im beginning to bite my nails here in anticpation of whats to come during TC and I dont want to miss anything :wub:

**** Atlantic ocean seperating me from the TC :(

Coleman - Moore

Grimes - Owens - Franks - Williams

Spoon - Peterson - Nicholas

Sidbury - JA98 - Beerman!

Adkins - Weston - Woods (6th LB position)

Weems - Franks (Return duties)

Hauschka - Bryant (Kicking)

Douglas - Meier (#3 WR)

Finneran - Wolfe - Harvey (#4+ WR)

Peele - Zinger - Palmer - Peek (backup TE)

DEFENSE

Assuming they start the 2010 season with the same team make up as they started with in 08 and 09 then:

DE there are 8 on the roster,

Abraham, Bierman, Sidbury, Anderson, Davis, Klecko, Stephens, Henley

I think they will keep the same 5 as the 09 season, I just do not see Klecko, Stephens, or Henley breaking into the lineup. Stephens or Henley will go to the PS

Klecko may be trying for the backup FB slot also.

DT there are 6 on the roster,

Babs, Jerry, T Johnson, T Lewis, Walker, Peters,

they normally keep just 4.

So there is Babs, then with Jerry coming back and with the addition of Peters as the 2nd draft choice that gets the first 3.

So there is 1 open slot that the other 3 are competing for. So 2 of these 3 are gone Johnson, Lewis, Walker . Walker may can go to the PS, I’m not sure about Johnson and Lewis’s eligibility.

LB there are 9 on the roster, they normally keep 6. It is pretty clear that Nicholas, Lofton, Peterson, and Weatherspoon have 4 slots locked up

That leaves pick 2 backups from 5 players.

So the battle is Wire, Adkins, James, Woods, W. Johnson for the 2 backup LBs

Right now I think Wire and Adkins wins. James(I think), Woods, Johnson all are eligible for the PS.

CB There are 7 on the roster, Robinson, Williams, Owens, Grimes, C Jackson, Franks, and D Walker.

they will keep 5 (or6) If they only keep 5 then one slot is open for competition possibley between Franks and C Jackson. D Walker will be cut or put on the PS. I think they will keep all 6.

S There are 8 on the roster, they will keep 5 (or 4) Coleman, DeCoud, and Moore are locks on 3. If they keep just 4 then only 1 slot is open to competition. Between Schillinger and Giordano. Derricks and Bush will be cu7t or put on the PS. I think they only keep 4.

Edited by delaigle

OFFENSE

LT Baker, Svitek Locks

RT Clabo, Reynolds Locks

LG Blalock, Backup competition between M. Johnson, Ojinnaka

RG Dahl and normaly 1 backup covers both Guard slots

C McClure Backup competition between Hawley and Romberg

Do not want to make light of 3 very good 09 PS players that will be in there swinging for interior backup slots in Schlueter, Bruggeman, and Valdez. Staff really likes Valdez.

QB Ryan, Redman, JP Wilson Locks

RB Turner, Norwood, Snelling Locks but Nance and A. Smith will be fighting for a #4 slot or a place on the PS

FB Mughelli with Klecko trying for a backup position here.

TE Gonzales, Peele Locks with Zinger, Peele, Palmer fighting for #3.

WR WOW battles for #2, #4, #5

White (#1), Jenkins, Douglas are locks, but who will be #2 and who will be #3

#4 & #5 Finneran, Weems, Meier are the big 3 here but thereis a host of others

Harvey and Wolke have gotten a lot of notice at OTAs, then there is Bergeron and Strickland returning from 09 plus Buckley.

I hesitate to guess who winds up #4 and #5 but I fairly sure that Meier will be one of them.

Adkins - Weston - Woods (6th LB position)

Weems - Franks (Return duties)

Hauschka - Bryant (Kicking)

Douglas - Meier (#3 WR)

Finneran - Wolfe - Harvey (#4+ WR)

Peele - Zinger - Palmer - Peek (backup TE)

You mean Jenkins vs Douglas for the #2..cuz Douglas has the #3 wr locked up aint no battle for that position

You mean Jenkins vs Douglas for the #2..cuz Douglas has the #3 wr locked up aint no battle for that position

No, not really.

I dont think Douglas fits the mold of a #2 (Harvey fits that mold imho), and I think Meier would be better suited at the slot. I think Meier is gonna give Douglas a run for his money, since Douglas probably isnt back to his old form just yet.

na. douglas has number 3 locked. slot WR like wes welker is the prototype and douglas fits that mold. smaller, strong has deceiving speed can cut under nickel backs and has the speed to quickly cut fo adjustments.

finneran ran as a 3rd WR and was just no fast enough for quick 6 yard throws. big tall guys seem as if slot would be nice but nickel backs are strong quick guys that need to be challenged to cover long stretch's. a qick slot receiver is key to this offense.

No, not really.

I dont think Douglas fits the mold of a #2 (Harvey fits that mold imho), and I think Meier would be better suited at the slot. I think Meier is gonna give Douglas a run for his money, since Douglas probably isnt back to his old form just yet.

Wes Welker is the perfect slot receiver, and he plays as the #2 for the Pats. Just because you're a slot WR and at #2, doesn't mean you have to stick out. You can have the WR slide down inside on any play.

na. douglas has number 3 locked. slot WR like wes welker is the prototype and douglas fits that mold. smaller, strong has deceiving speed can cut under nickel backs and has the speed to quickly cut fo adjustments.

finneran ran as a 3rd WR and was just no fast enough for quick 6 yard throws. big tall guys seem as if slot would be nice but nickel backs are strong quick guys that need to be challenged to cover long stretch's. a qick slot receiver is key to this offense.

Wes Welker is the perfect slot receiver, and he plays as the #2 for the Pats. Just because you're a slot WR and at #2, doesn't mean you have to stick out. You can have the WR slide down inside on any play.

I agree with you that we need a relatively quick slot WR, who can make good cuts. But given the way we utilize Michael Jenkins, by taking advantage of his superb blocking on running plays, I would classify that as equally important to having a good slot WR.

So if I were to choose between a 6-0, 182 lbs HD or a 6-4, 205 lbs MJ and ask them on a consistent basis (as a #2 WR) to take on blockers (not even factoring in eventual setbacks from HD's ACL tear), Im gonna go with the big guy.

So if Meier can run "crisp" routes and use his sure hands to catch the ball in traffic, I really dont see why Meier shouldnt be able to at least give HD a push for the slot spot.. or Harvey pushin MJ for the #2 since he had good run blocking coming out of college. Thats why Im looking forward to TC, to see what they all got ^^.

But I respect your oppinon.

Do not want to make light of 3 very good 09 PS players that will be in there swinging for interior backup slots in Schlueter, Bruggeman, and Valdez. Staff really likes Valdez.

I want to hear more about these guys, I hear Schlueter and Valdez are way under rated. And it looks like we could make some cap room by replacing some older backups.

I want to hear more about these guys, I hear Schlueter and Valdez are way under rated. And it looks like we could make some cap room by replacing some older backups.

The only two "older" interior O-line backups are Romberg and Ojinnaka.

And it's most likely that both of them will be replaced with M. Johnson and Hawley this year.

There is no cap in 2010. So keep all 3 on the PS another year. Let them develop.

Maybe that with these 3 plus Hawley and Johnson replacements for Dahl and Clabo are already on the roster. That is if the Falcons lose Dahl and Clabo to free agency next year.

The Tackle backups are Reynolds and Svitek and neither of them are old and I do not think either are big cap hits. I'm not sure if any of these 3 plays tackle anyway.

Edited by delaigle

• 4 weeks later...

Bump for TC update. What would the current depth chart look like?

My take:

Offense

(Position - 1st string - 2nd string - 3rd string)

Quarterback --> Matt Ryan, Chris Redman, JPW.

Left Tackle --> Sam Baker, Will Svitek, (?).

Fullback --> Ovie Mughelli

Right Wide Receiver --> Roddy White, Harry Douglas, (?)

Left Wide Receiver --> Michael Jenkins, Kerry Meier

Tight End --> Tony Gonzales, Keith Zinger, (Michael Palmer/Colin Peek)

Right Guard --> Harvey Dahl, Quin Ojinnaka.

Center --> Todd McClure, (Blake Sleuter/Joe Hawley).

Left Guard --> Justin Blalock, (?).

Running Back --> Michael Turner, Jason Snelling, Jerious Norwood.

Right Tackle --> Tyson Clabo/Mike Johnson

With the additions of Joe Hawley and Mike Johnson I dont see Brett Romberg making the 53.

Bump for TC update. What would the current depth chart look like?

I got:

QB- Ryan, Redman, Wilson

RB- Turner, Snelling, Norwood

FB- Mughelli

WR- White, Jenks, Douglas, Finneran, Meier, Weems

TE- Gonzalez, Peele, some 3rd guy(Not sure about this spot)

OG- Dahl, Blaylock, Johnson, Hawley( What delaigle said)

OT- Baker, Clabo, Svitek, Reynolds

C - McClure, Someone(not sure about this spot)

DT- Babs, Jerry, Peters, Lewis(maybe)

DE- Abe, Bierman, Sidbury, Anderson

MLB- Lofton, Woods

OLB- Peterson, Nicholas, Weatherspoon, Wire

CB - Robinson, Grimes, Owens, Williams, Jackson, Franks

S - Decoud, Coleman, Moore, some 4th guy(unless we go with another defensive lineman

Williams can play S and CB)

P - Koenen

LS - Zelenka

K - Bryant, or Hauschka (This decision keeps Smitty and TD up at nights probably)