Da Future Has Been Waived

My link

Flowery Branch, Ga. -- The Atlanta Falcons waived backup quarterback and former UGA star D.J. Shockley, the club announced Friday afternoon.

The move puts the Falcons at the 80-man training camp roster limit, assuming their final two unsigned draft choices - LB Sean Weatherspoon and WR Kerry Meier - agree to terms with the club.

Shockley was originally drafted by the Falcons in the seventh round (223rd pick overall) in 2006 out of the University of Georgia. He was released by the Falcons following 2009 training camp, but was signed to the practice squad on September 6, 2009. Shockley had also been released by Atlanta on October 21, 2009, but was re-signed to the practice squad on December 1, 2009.

In his four seasons with the team, Shockley did not see any action in regular season games. He was designated the team's emergency quarterback for all 16 games in the 2006 and 2008 seasons, plus a playoff game in Arizona at the end of the 2008 season.

Shockley missed the entire 2007 season with a knee injury suffered in a preseason game at Buffalo, and he spent the entire 2009 campaign on the team's practice squad.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still can't believe all the wasted threads a few summers ago proclaiming Shockley as someone who could start ahead of Matt Ryan. Now he is waived without hardly a whimper.

I think most of those were started by GeorgiaFBan. He's gotten waived and resigned so many times it's like rooting for Troy Bergeron. This is the earliest I recall him getting waived though. He didn't even make it into training camp. I'm thinking after 4 years, injury or not, it's just not gonna happen for him. Besides most teams have a starter, veteran backup, and one development player. It was time for a new player to develop.

Best case scenario for him really he would have been PS again as someone with a few years NFL experience he can probably find a 3rd QB job somewhere for more money

OR UFL/CFL all are better options for him at this point

This is true. He's a hard worker and a nice guy with a good head on his shoulders. Teams in our division will try to sign him just because he knows our play book.

I still can't believe all the wasted threads a few summers ago proclaiming Shockley as someone who could start ahead of Matt Ryan. Now he is waived without hardly a whimper.

BELIEVE IT. BACK THEN, MOST OF THE NOW PRO-RYAN'ers WERE ANTI RYAN'Eers.

THERE WERE A GREAT MANY THAT DID NOT WANT US TO DRAFT RYAN. THE THREADS

AND POSTS ARE STILL THERE. B)