Will Brent Grimes Seize the Cornerback Spot?

hawkeye

Brent Grimes represents a common story we know very well: a tough but undersized player from a small school works hard, refuses to give up, plays well, and works his way up to be an excellent and consistent starter in the pros. Grimes has the entire story down pat except for the very end. Can the tough as nails, but vertically challenged cornerback permanently take the starting spot opposite Dunta Robinson for the Atlanta Falcons? Grimes has a somewhat mixed bag of success as an NFL player, even though the track record is short after being in the NFL for three years. It’s a well known fact that Grimes is the pound-for-pound most athletic player on the team, at least according to Head Coach Mike Smith. Grimes quickness, speed, jumping ability, and high motor led a team high 6 interceptions and tied for 3rd in the entire NFL for most interceptions and he only started 8 games. In fact, only Charles Woodson and Asante Samuel had more INTs (9) and Grimes even tied the best cornerback in the NFL, Darrelle Revis, in terms of picks.

Although Grimes has one of the highest motors on the team and obviously has a nose for the ball, many fans believe that he simply is too short to compete on the highest level in the age of the extremely tall wide receiver a la Randy Moss, Marques Colston, and Brandon Marshall to name just a few. Grimes critics claim that he’s simply to short to perform on the highest level of the NFL and has performed pretty poorly overall, constantly getting beat on intermediate and deep routes alike. They will quickly point to both 2008 and 2009, where Grimes was unable to hang on to the starter position bestowed upon him. The Falcons CB got the hook in 2008 after the first 6 games in lieu of Domonique Foxworth and the pass defense improved. Foxworth also used the opportunity to parlay his good season into a high contract with the Baltimore Ravens. Grimes had another chance in 2009 where he got the starting nod once again after the bye, and once again was unable to hold the position. These fans may believe that Grimes is a solid corner that can play a part in the rotation, but not necessarily a starting cornerback. #20 did regain the starting CB spot again in the last four games and, along with Christopher Owens, helped the Birds go 3 and 1 in the final four stretch to end the curse of never having back-to-back winning seasons. So let the debate rage…….Can Brent Grimes finally put a lock on a starting cornerback spot?

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-falcons-fans/2010/07/07/will-brent-grimes-seize-the-cornerback-spot/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_falcons_fans

I think Brent Grimes will seize the cornerback spot, but only for a short time. I think he will probably be replaced by Owens or Jackson. I don't this it has so much to due with his height or abilities as it does with the fact that he misses to many tackles. JMHO

a team high 6 interceptions and tied for 3rd in the entire NFL for most interceptions and he only started 8 games.

I think this says it all.^^^

Yes, i think he will start.

But if Williams is healthy, look for Smitty to turn to him in obvious run situations.

Scheme will probably change our "starters" from time to time.

I don't think the INTs will be the deciding factor because Owens had 2 in what 4 games started? And he is a better tackler. I think that is what is going to separate the two. Grimes plays like a lightweight nickel (gets thrown around by true #1 WRs). Owens is more stout and physical to handle the #2 CB job. I think Grimes will be a shutdown capable nickel.

Think about the Giants game when we were on 3rd down in OT and they threw a simple curl towards Grimes. The WR made the catch but gained significant yards because of the trademark Grimes broken tackle. As much as I have grown to like the little guy he just shouldn't be on the outside

Yes Grimes will start.

I don't want to beat the size thing anymore but Robinson is listed at 5-10 and Grimes is listed at 5-10 some say he is 5-8, either way he isn't any shorter than the newly anointed Savior of our secondary, who hasn't picked off a pass since Dec 7, 2008.

Grimes has 7 picks in 14 career starts

Robinson has 13 picks in 79 career starts

Grimes had 60 total tackles in 8 starts last year

Robinson had 65 total tackles in 16 starts last year.

thats not a sure thing at all

theres absolutley no reason why owens or brian wouldn't win that spot

I would actually say the odds are against Grimes against his competition, even tho I think he might have the best shot.

I'd say like Grimes 45, Brian 30, Owens 24, Chevy 1.

Whoever wins, I don't care as long as theyre the best of the 4. I'm not a die hard fan of any one of them, altho I like Owens the best.

Yes Grimes will start.

I don't want to beat the size thing anymore but Robinson is listed at 5-10 and Grimes is listed at 5-10 some say he is 5-8, either way he isn't any shorter than the newly anointed Savior of our secondary, who hasn't picked off a pass since Dec 7, 2008.

Grimes has 7 picks in 14 career starts

Robinson has 13 picks in 79 career starts

Grimes had 60 total tackles in 8 starts last year

Robinson had 65 total tackles in 16 starts last year.

Teams throw at Grimes way more, so of course he tackles a lot more per game.

Grimes is doe starting. He looked great against three rookie quarterbacks to end the season. People remember his few good plays an forget how often he was targeted the past two years. The job is Williams or Owens

Teams throw at Grimes way more, so of course he tackles a lot more per game.

Grimes is doe starting. He looked great against three rookie quarterbacks to end the season. People remember his few good plays an forget how often he was targeted the past two years. The job is Williams or Owens

Grimes has the starting spot unless Owens goes nuts. Quote it.

I think at Williams' age and getting a midseason ACL tear puts him in the back of the pack (even behind Jackson imo). It would take him longer to fully recover. IDK why most people never consider this when putting him in discussion to start.

I think at Williams' age and getting a midseason ACL tear puts him in the back of the pack (even behind Jackson imo). It would take him longer to fully recover. IDK why most people never consider this when putting him in discussion to start.

I'm thinking the same thing. Medicine has made big strides in the last decade, but I just don't see Williams having much of an impact on our team at all this year. I'm considering Williams is 31 and the fact the injury was midseason.

I always wonder why people talk about Grimes size as a factor in considering if he can play or start or what ever. Now before anyone jumps all over this I'm not putting Grimes in the same category as this player but both are small and he had a GREAT career in N.F.L. so why does size matter.

Darrel Green was only listed as 5'8" Grimes is listed as 5"10' and that has been one of the biggest questions this off season around here. Who cares like the first poster said he has one of the highest motors on the team and obviously has a nose for the ball. Can we really say for sure that he lost his starting spot each time or were there other things involved that we don't have knowledge to that contributed to his being replaced.

I really think that he has just as good a chance as anyone one else to win the second spot. Time will tell but you have to admit it will be fun and interesting to watch and see.

First I have no preference Grimes, Owens, Williams, Jackson -- may the best man start

Second I do not believe in doing things by the numbers - but - just for fun here are the numbers.

Grimes 718 snaps thrown at 93 times or once every 7.7 snaps

Jackson 299 snaps thrown at 33 times or once every 9.0 snaps

Williams 317 snaps thrown at 29 times or once every 10.9 snaps

Houston 724 snaps thrown at 63 times or once every 11.5 snaps

Owens 336 snaps thrown at 25 times or once every 13.4 snaps

% completion

Owens 56.0

Grimes 62.4

Houston 66.7

Jackson 72.7

Williams 75.9

By the numbers Owens seems to be the one the opposing team throws at the least

By the numbers Owens seems to be the one who allows the least completions

BUT Grimes played about 2X number of snaps so the question is still how would it turn out if all of them had played nearly equal number of snaps.

ALSO some of these were NB snaps verses outside CB and that would disrupt the data a lot.

NOTE:: I still see people wanting to put Grimes at Nichol back, but I do not think he has ever played there. They always put him in the game at the outside and moved someone else to the NB slot. Maybe he can play it but I do not think he has yet.

Edited by delaigle

First off there is no way Grimes is 5'10. Just going to go ahead and throw that out there. Thats just like teams saying a guy weighs more or less than he really does.

His size is not his biggest issue. Yeah you can easily find an exemption to the rule, but you can do that with everything so that is irrelevant saying " well this guys was 5'8 and he did well ". Its not really about his size it is how he uses his body.

Sometimes he great using his body. I can think of 2 examples off the top of my head.

1) Forcing Meachem the outside and picking the ball off, which was called pass interference, but was a good physical play.

2) Forcing Antonio Bryant outside and off his route on an exact same play as the Meachem play.

But there are also a ton of times where he does not play physical and can get over powered easily. Miles Austin abused him several times as did all the NYG receivers.

Having said all that, I would be fine with having him start. 6 interceptions is great for the amount of time he got. Granted he played some bad QB's late in the season in bad weather conditions, he still put up way better nummbers than anyone else in the secondary. It should come down to Grimes and Owens. Either way i'd be satisifed.

Edited by Clark Kent

All I can say is I can't wait for camp to start. I'm ready to get to the bottom of this argument.

I still say if Williams is healthy he gets the job. I think he will be ready. TD wouldn't have re-signed him for $1.5M if he didn't think he would be ready. DLed and Stats Inc. just posted recent depth charts that show him starting.

If Williams is not healthy I believe Grimes starts at RCB if Dunta stays at LCB. If Williams is not healthy and we move Dunta back to his natural RCB position, I think Owens starts at LCB.

Either way it will be an interesting battle and several people on this board will be flat out wrong no matter what happens.

All I can say is I can't wait for camp to start. I'm ready to get to the bottom of this argument.

I still say if Williams is healthy he gets the job. I think he will be ready. TD wouldn't have re-signed him for $1.5M if he didn't think he would be ready. DLed and Stats Inc. just posted recent depth charts that show him starting.

If Williams is not healthy I believe Grimes starts at RCB if Dunta stays at LCB. If Williams is not healthy and we move Dunta back to his natural RCB position, I think Owens starts at LCB.

Either way it will be an interesting battle and several people on this board will be flat out wrong no matter what happens.

Hey FFS1970 have you heard they are thinking about moving Jamaal to CB. :lol::lol: