Know Thy Enemy 2010 - A 49ers viewpoint

pzummo

http://www.ninersnation.com/2010/7/8/1557258/know-thy-enemy-2010-atlanta-falcons

Know Thy Enemy 2010: Atlanta Falcons

022110_0831_tiny by Josh Branco on Jul 8, 2010 11:00 AM PDT in 49ers Opponents Comment 12 comments

Photo

More photos » Bill Kostroun - AP

Browse more photos »

It's been several days since our last installment in the Know Thy Enemy series, but you can expect to see more activity on this front in the coming days. To quickly recap what we've already covered, the San Francisco 49ers should beat the Chiefs and the Buccaneers. Easy.

However, this next match-up will likely be anything but easy. Come Week 4, the 49ers will make the long flight out to Atlanta, Georgia to face-off with a resurgent Falcons squad.

If you need a little refresher on what the Falcons have been up to this off-season, check out my free agency preview and the corresponding update dealing with Atlanta's roster moves.

The last time these two teams met, the Falcons embarrassed the 49ers' defense on their home field. QB Matt Ryan threw for 329 passing yards, while Michael Turner rushed for three scores. The end result was a 45-10 beat down of the 49ers in San Francisco. Perhaps the tables will be turned in 2010, or will Atlanta be able to dominate San Francisco yet again?

More after the jump...

Star-divide

Additions

The Falcons made a big addition to their secondary when they signed free-agent cornerback Dunta Robinson to a 6-year contract worth up to $57 Million. This was a huge need for Atlanta, and Robinson should be a nice upgrade for them.

Other notable additions to the defense include first round pick Sean Witherspoon. Witherspoon is a three down linebacker with great range and play making ability. He is capable of lining up at any of the three linebacker positions, but will most likely get the bulk of his playing time on the weak-side.

Atlanta also upgraded the interior of their offensive line by drafting Mike Johnson and Joe Hawley in the 3rd and 4th round respectively. Both players are expected to eventually challenge for a starting position on the Falcons offensive line.

Subtractions

The team sent CB Chris Houston to the Detroit Lions in exchange for a 6th round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft and a conditional 7th round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. Houston is a very talented player, but his performance on the field has been maddeningly inconsistent. However, his skills may be better suited to Detroit's style of defense.

2010 Questions and Answers

Will the Falcon's running game return to 2008 form?

Atlanta went from the 2nd ranked rushing attack in 2008, to the 15th in 2009. Part of this decline can be chalked up to Michael Turner missing five games due to injury. Another contributing factor was the poor play from the Falcon's guards down the stretch. Harvey Dahl was hampered by injury, while Justin Blalock lacked effectiveness in the running game.

Who will be the number two wide receiver?

Roddy White continues to excel at the number one spot, amassing 1,153 receiving yards in 2009. But the team has yet to acquire a suitable partner for him. While they do have one of the league's top receiving tight ends in Tony Gonzalez, they could stand to upgrade over Michael Jenkins at the wide-out spot. Jenkins is a solid blocker, but he lacks playmaking ability. Atlanta's problem is exacerbated by Harry Douglas' off-season ACL surgery. Douglas is currently third on the depth chart, but he could cut into Jenkins' playing time as the season wears on. Will the Falcons make a move to bring in a Terrell Owens, or will they stand pat with what they have?

Match-Up

As much as I think the 49ers will be better in 2010, this is a game that I would expect them to lose. There are several reasons why, not the least of which is the fact that they were completely outclassed by Atlanta on their home field. Add to this the fact that San Francisco has to travel across the country for this game, and it's easy to see how they could struggle with this match-up.

Last season the Falcons went 6-2 at home, losing to the New Orleans Saints and the Philadelphia Eagles. While the 49ers certainly have the makings of a very good team, I think that most people would agree they are a notch or two below the Eagles and Saints.

By the time Week 4 rolls around injuries and other changes to the respective rosters may turn this scenario completely on it's head, but as of right now Atlanta has to be the favorite in this game.

I remember reading on ESPN the comments from Matt Ryan saying we're closer to a 13 win team to 8. There was one poster that said something like he couldn't wait till San Fran put Matt in his place. I then thought this guy must be a bandwagon fan because Matty and the boys whooped that *** IN their back yard last year.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2010/7/8/1557258/know-thy-enemy-2010-atlanta-falcons

022110_0831_tiny by Josh Branco on Jul 8, 2010 11:00 AM PDT in 49ers Opponents Comment 12 comments

Photo

More photos » Bill Kostroun - AP

Browse more photos »

It's been several days since our last installment in the Know Thy Enemy series, but you can expect to see more activity on this front in the coming days. To quickly recap what we've already covered, the San Francisco 49ers should beat the Chiefs and the Buccaneers. Easy.

However, this next match-up will likely be anything but easy. Come Week 4, the 49ers will make the long flight out to Atlanta, Georgia to face-off with a resurgent Falcons squad.

If you need a little refresher on what the Falcons have been up to this off-season, check out my free agency preview and the corresponding update dealing with Atlanta's roster moves.

The last time these two teams met, the Falcons embarrassed the 49ers' defense on their home field. QB Matt Ryan threw for 329 passing yards, while Michael Turner rushed for three scores. The end result was a 45-10 beat down of the 49ers in San Francisco. Perhaps the tables will be turned in 2010, or will Atlanta be able to dominate San Francisco yet again?

More after the jump...

Star-divide

Additions

The Falcons made a big addition to their secondary when they signed free-agent cornerback Dunta Robinson to a 6-year contract worth up to $57 Million. This was a huge need for Atlanta, and Robinson should be a nice upgrade for them.

Other notable additions to the defense include first round pick Sean Witherspoon. Witherspoon is a three down linebacker with great range and play making ability. He is capable of lining up at any of the three linebacker positions, but will most likely get the bulk of his playing time on the weak-side.

Atlanta also upgraded the interior of their offensive line by drafting Mike Johnson and Joe Hawley in the 3rd and 4th round respectively. Both players are expected to eventually challenge for a starting position on the Falcons offensive line.

Subtractions

The team sent CB Chris Houston to the Detroit Lions in exchange for a 6th round pick in the 2010 NFL Draft and a conditional 7th round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft. Houston is a very talented player, but his performance on the field has been maddeningly inconsistent. However, his skills may be better suited to Detroit's style of defense.

2010 Questions and Answers

Will the Falcon's running game return to 2008 form?

Atlanta went from the 2nd ranked rushing attack in 2008, to the 15th in 2009. Part of this decline can be chalked up to Michael Turner missing five games due to injury. Another contributing factor was the poor play from the Falcon's guards down the stretch. Harvey Dahl was hampered by injury, while Justin Blalock lacked effectiveness in the running game.

Who will be the number two wide receiver?

Roddy White continues to excel at the number one spot, amassing 1,153 receiving yards in 2009. But the team has yet to acquire a suitable partner for him. While they do have one of the league's top receiving tight ends in Tony Gonzalez, they could stand to upgrade over Michael Jenkins at the wide-out spot. Jenkins is a solid blocker, but he lacks playmaking ability. Atlanta's problem is exacerbated by Harry Douglas' off-season ACL surgery. Douglas is currently third on the depth chart, but he could cut into Jenkins' playing time as the season wears on. Will the Falcons make a move to bring in a Terrell Owens, or will they stand pat with what they have?

Match-Up

As much as I think the 49ers will be better in 2010, this is a game that I would expect them to lose. There are several reasons why, not the least of which is the fact that they were completely outclassed by Atlanta on their home field. Add to this the fact that San Francisco has to travel across the country for this game, and it's easy to see how they could struggle with this match-up.

Last season the Falcons went 6-2 at home, losing to the New Orleans Saints and the Philadelphia Eagles. While the 49ers certainly have the makings of a very good team, I think that most people would agree they are a notch or two below the Eagles and Saints.

By the time Week 4 rolls around injuries and other changes to the respective rosters may turn this scenario completely on it's head, but as of right now Atlanta has to be the favorite in this game.

SOUNDS GOOD TO ME

The last time these two teams met, the Falcons embarrassed the 49ers' defense on their home field. QB Matt Ryan threw for 329 passing yards, while Michael Turner rushed for three scores. The end result was a 45-10 beat down.

IF YOU CAN REMEMBER THE BEAT DOWN WE PUT ON THE 49ers LAST YEAR, THEN

YOU ALREADY KNOW THY ENEMY. THY ENEMY IS GOING TO BEAT THOU DOWN ONCE MORE!

Ryan has only lost 1 game at home....

So I'd give the edge to Falcons than Whiners oops 49ers..

Ryan also hit Roddy with what would have been the game winning touchdown in that game. Roddy dropped the ball and the Seahawks won.

Even though it is evident the author is a 49ers fan it is nice to see that he recognizes our improvements.

He fits the Lions style just fine. Nobody on the Lion's defense makes plays.

Ryan also hit Roddy with what would have been the game winning touchdown in that game. Roddy dropped the ball and the Seahawks won.

Even though it is evident the author is a 49ers fan it is nice to see that he recognizes our improvements.

He fits the Lions style just fine. Nobody on the Lion's defense makes plays.

good one falken

sam

WHAT? :blink:

Oh nevermind. I reread it a few times and realized you were talking about the Broncos game...I think

Edited by Falcon-Boi 89

Pretty impressive and detailed write up by an opposing fan. Most don't even know who Dahl or Douglas are.

He also realized injuries and poor line play was the biggest culprit to our ground game. He didn't try to blame the slip in our running game on Turner being out of shape or the play-calling.

I was impressed.

I love when other fans fear us on the schedule. Not used to the feeling, but I could get used to it this year!

Funny how he suggests we pick up Owens... Why does everyone not see how much Jenkins is a factor in our run game and in blocking for other receivers?

Ryan has only lost 1 game at home....

So I'd give the edge to Falcons than Whiners oops 49ers..

If Roddy would have caught that ball in the endzone, he wouldn't have lost that one.

I was at that game, one of the best game experiences I've ever had. I hope we crush them. Looks like they are scared.

Edited by paulitik

This my first time having that dominance feeling too.

I use to love the underdog feeling. It gave us something

To prove and work even harder for.

WELP! It's a new culture round this place and I'm hopping on.

CHANGE IS GOOD!!

Edited by FalconPio

3 things to think about with regard to SF when we played them last year:

Alex Smith had not yet ascended to the starters role - Shaun Hill was still it.

Frank Gore was injured this game and did not play

Michael Crabtree had yet to sign.

...while we killed them, they were not the team we'll face this year.

They’re a very average team to me. They don’t do anything very good, but they also don’t have many weaknesses.

Average Defense, Turner is a good RB, not a Top 5 guy. White is their only real WR threat, and Gonzalez isnt getting younger.

What I find really funny though is John Clayton (who I really like) calling Matt Ryan an elite QB! While our very own Alex Smith puts up better numbers in less starts! Hilarous

:lol::lol::lol:

I will never forget the 49ers from the 80s and 90s, and how they beat us down more often than not. Last year's game was sweet, but I want to embarrass them even more this year, and every time we play them from now on. Even though we are no longer division rivals, there's no team I enjoy the Falcons beating more than the 49ers, other than maybe the Saints and Cowboys.

Edited by gatorsurf

I will never forget the 49ers from the 80s and 90s, and how they beat us down more often than not. Last year's game was sweet, but I want to embarrass them even more this year, and every time we play them from now on. Even though we are no longer division rivals, there's no team I enjoy the Falcons beating more than the 49ers, other than maybe the Saints and Cowboys.

Yeah, i definitely have to agree with you. I have a strong hate for the 49'ers franchise after the beat downs we suffered to the Joe Montana, Jerry Rice , Roger Craig, Ronnie Lott teams. I think the only team that I loathe more are the Cowboys. Last year's win was very sweet. I don't think that we will blow them out this year, but a win is a win to me.

Ha! The OP needs a jacket....it's cold out there. Only reason he/she started this thread is because of the walloping Atlanta put on the Frisconians last season....ruined his day/life.....

"OUR TRUE ENEMIES HAVE YET TO REVEAL THEMSELVES" ........ Godfather III