Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hawkeye

’10 National Grades: Offensive Tackles

6 posts in this topic

They have my favorite 2 right at the top. I don't care what they project on this one, I'm sticking with D. Love 1st

rd.

1) Anthony Castonzo/Boston College: Castonzo leads the position with a grade of 6.5. We would not rank him this high but we are of the opinion Costonzo is a good player now and offers a tremendous amount of upside potential. Late 1st/2nd Round

2) DeMarcus Love/Arkansas: Love is a terrific athlete but barely better than average as a tackle. His grade of 6.3 puts him above a number of talented players we rank higher than Love. 2nd/3rd Round

3) Derek Sherrod/Mississippi State: Sherrod is a well built left tackle who blocks with solid fundamentals. He’s not the greatest athlete and his strength at the point is below average. 2nd/3rd Round

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=2452

I personally would love to get Gabe Carimi. There seems to various different opinions on who is the top tackle, and if somehow Gabe Carimi slipped to us, I'd take him in a heartbeat.

Marcus Gilbert versatile, played in a pro-style offense, national championship team, smart and great character kid. Not to mention great value can be had for 3rd or 4th round.

Demarcus Love, Arkansas, 6-5, 315, 5.18 (No. 4-rated senior offensive tackle by NFLDraftScout.com): Love teams with fellow senior right tackle Ray Dominguez to form a solid bookend duo to protect top junior pocket passer Ryan Mallett. Love's extremely long arms and natural athleticism pop off on film, and his experience playing the left and right sides of the formation as Arkansas' strong-side tackle last season gives him coveted versatility. He must improve his raw pass protection technique as a senior -- or hope NFL offensive line coaches push for him early, thinking they can mold him into an elite blocker -- to earn a first-round draft slot.

Derrek Sherrod, Mississippi State, 6-5, 305, 5.22 (No. 6): Tall, svelte and athletic, Sherrod fits the prototype of an NFL left tackle. He's the best pass protector of this group and compares favorably to the rest as a positional run blocker (though maybe not among the strongest). The Bulldogs haven't had a first-round pick since cornerback Walt Harris (No. 13, Chicago) and wide receiver Eric Moulds (No. 24, Buffalo) were selected early in the 1996 draft, but another strong season from the second-team All-SEC tackle could push Sherrod into the event's first evening.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/story/13623117/sec-senior-ol-promising-prospects-from-the-top-conference?tag=coverlist_footer;coverlist_photo_content