Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

hawkeye

’10 National Grades: Wide Receivers

25 posts in this topic

Remember these are pro scouts. I have said also that after Little in the 2nd rd, everybody else might be a reach.

They seem to disagree tho. But I can get with this tho b/c if they are correct then that means we can now go after

a DE in the 2nd b/c I really like OT for the 1st rd.(Safest pick. D. Love to be specific) But a 2nd rd DE I like

would be Cliff Matthews from SC. But for a 3rd round WR I can get with either one of these 2. According to them.

1) Niles Paul/Nebraska: Paul is a solid wide out yet we were surprised he is the highest rated player at this position. His 6011/222lbs frame is impressive yet scouts wonder about his forty time. 2nd/3rd Round

2) Dwayne Harris/East Carolina: Harris is a guy we really like and a pass catcher that stands out on film. He’s more of a possession wide out though not really built like one (5102/200). 3rd/4th Round

3) Greg Little/North Carolina: Little received the same grade as Harris, 5.9. He’s a nice receiver but after recently finishing a boat load of UNC film, we see nothing special in his game. 3rd/4th Round

http://www.draftinsider.net/blog/?p=2419

I don't pretend to be scout but I must ask the question how does a WR who has career total 1900 yds and 29 tds and counting for a BCS school be consider a 5th and 7th?

Austin Pettis

What if Baker has a break through year this year(which is what I am expecting)? We wouldn't need a OT in the first then. We could get a 1st round DE (Romeus/Bailey/Quinn/Bowers) and a second round WR and I think some first round talent WRs will fall to the 2nd just because of how deep the draft will be with WR (potentially).

WR's like:

Austin Pettis from Boise St (potentially lethal red zone threat had 14 TD catches just last season and has never had less than 6) Apparently uses height more effectively than Jenkins. Broke ankle last year though.

Chris Owusu from his highlights looks like he would be a good pick up.

Or take the OT in the 2nd round and go with:

Demarcus Love

Anthony Castonzo (who I think will fall)

Derrick Sherrod

What if Baker has a break through year this year(which is what I am expecting)? We wouldn't need a OT in the first then. We could get a 1st round DE (Romeus/Bailey/Quinn/Bowers) and a second round WR and I think some first round talent WRs will fall to the 2nd just because of how deep the draft will be with WR (potentially).

WR's like:

Austin Pettis from Boise St (potentially lethal red zone threat had 14 TD catches just last season and has never had less than 6) Apparently uses height more effectively than Jenkins. Broke ankle last year though.

Chris Owusu from his highlights looks like he would be a good pick up.

Or take the OT in the 2nd round and go with:

Demarcus Love

Anthony Castonzo (who I think will fall)

Derrick Sherrod

Give me Greg Romeus in the 1st, Austin Pettis in the 2nd & Marcus Gilbert in the 3rd or 4th.

I wouldn't be opposed to Romeus but I think Quinn will be the better player/pro. Romeus reminds me of a better JPP. Quinn has a blazing first step that gave Castonzo problems all game when they played BC

I don't pretend to be scout but I must ask the question how does a WR who has career total 1900 yds and 29 tds and counting for a BCS school be consider a 5th and 7th?

Austin Pettis

Because he plays in a spread type offense and doesn't really have good speed.

Lots of people put up big numbers in college. Doesn't mean it translates to the NFL.

IMO Pettis is just somebody you throw the ball to and he catches it. That's it. He has nothing else to his game.

Because he plays in a spread type offense and doesn't really have good speed.

Lots of people put up big numbers in college. Doesn't mean it translates to the NFL.

He runs a 4.49? And didn't Crabtree play in a spread offense.

I wouldn't be opposed to Romeus but I think Quinn will be the better player/pro. Romeus reminds me of a better JPP. Quinn has a blazing first step that gave Castonzo problems all game when they played BC

I like Quinn too but let's be realistic he will not make it out of the top 10.

What else should a WR have to his game?

Beating the jam at the LOS, running good routes, YAC, blocking.

He runs a 4.49? And didn't Crabtree play in a spread offense.

Crabtree showed alot of other things though. Such as run after catch and the ability to be elusive while still being physical.

Spread offenses are notorious for inflating the stats of mediocre receivers. The special ones are the ones that produce in that scheme yet still fit the mold for a #1 WR.

And 4.5 isn't exactly fast for a WR. Its merely an ok speed. Pretty average. You don't run by CBs with that speed. Which is what I mean when I said he lacks speed.

Crabtree showed alot of other things though. Such as run after catch and the ability to be elusive while still being physical.

Spread offenses are notorious for inflating the stats of mediocre receivers. The special ones are the ones that produce in that scheme yet still fit the mold for a #1 WR.

And 4.5 isn't exactly fast for a WR. Its merely an ok speed. Pretty average. You don't run by CBs with that speed. Which is what I mean when I said he lacks speed.

TDS catches are not inflated receiving yards yes. The best WR in the game don't run a sub 4.43-4.55 (Marshall, Fitzgerald, Boldin, A. Johnson & White) just to name a few. I will take those guys over anybody you could name in the league today!

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2009/11/12/970080/boise-states-pettis-shines-in.html

If you can catch you can catch. I don't care if a spread 'inflates' stats, you have to be able to have the hands to make the catch first and the wherewithall to find the endzone second. He can do both. We picked Meier of Carlton Mitchell and other bigger name WRs because he can catch. That's TD's obvious focus for WR

If you can catch you can catch. I don't care if a spread 'inflates' stats, you have to be able to have the hands to make the catch first and the wherewithall to find the endzone second. He can do both. We picked Meier of Carlton Mitchell and other bigger name WRs because he can catch. That's TD's obvious focus for WR

That doesn't mean much. Meier fit a certain skill set that we are looking for. He probably isn't going to be a threat to take over the #2 spot. He was brought in to be a big target and to make tough catches on 3rd downs.

Even though a guy like Mitchell has much more potential imo, TD wanted the guy with a more polished game who fit what we wanted.

Pettis is a guy who isn't particularly great at anything. That is why I wouldn't take him until the later rounds. He may be a solid option in the NFL, but I don't think he will be a dynamic threat that scares opposing defenses. He just looks like a soft kind of player to me.

That doesn't mean much. Meier fit a certain skill set that we are looking for. He probably isn't going to be a threat to take over the #2 spot. He was brought in to be a big target and to make tough catches on 3rd downs.

Even though a guy like Mitchell has much more potential imo, TD wanted the guy with a more polished game who fit what we wanted.

Pettis is a guy who isn't particularly great at anything. That is why I wouldn't take him until the later rounds. He may be a solid option in the NFL, but I don't think he will be a dynamic threat that scares opposing defenses. He just looks like a soft kind of player to me.

Are you talking about Austin Collie or Austin Pettis, sorry I get confused easily even thou they sound like the same player to me? I think the Colts are a good example of how to pick a very good WR in later rounds who doesn't run a "3.8".

IMO Pettis is just somebody you throw the ball to and he catches it. That's it. He has nothing else to his game.

I thought that is what a WR is supposed to do, that sounds like a #2 WR to me, which is what we need.

I thought that is what a WR is supposed to do, that sounds like a #2 WR to me, which is what we need.

That is what I was thinking. What a problem to have a WR who only catch passes!

Soren likes this

Pettis runs great routes, always gets open and catches everything that comes his way. Plus he has good size at 6-3. He might not run a 4.4 forty, but I'd much rather a receiver who can get open and catch, than someone who has blazing speed but only runs one route (Heyward-Bey anyone?!). Fitzgerald only ran like a 4.6 forty, and he's the best WR in the NFL IMO.

Pettis reminds me of Eric Decker from the 2010 draft.

Are you talking about Austin Collie or Austin Pettis, sorry I get confused easily even thou they sound like the same player to me? I think the Colts are a good example of how to pick a very good WR in later rounds who doesn't run a "3.8".

Pettis. I don't think his game translates well to the NFL. Like I said before, I think he plays soft. It works in the WAC, but it won't work to well in the NFL. Especially considering that he doesn't have great speed either.

We might as well keep Jenkins then. What our Offense needs is a guy who is going to make teams pay when they put all their attention on Roddy & Turner.

The big thing is YAC. Jenkins is probably one of the worst WRs in the league when it comes to that stat. I don't think Meier did too much after the catch when he was at Kansas either.

If we put a guy opposite Roddy who is effective at beating guys one-on-one (getting YAC), our Offense becomes a top 5 group.

Pettis is really good, he just isn't elusive. He runs crisp routes and has some of the best hands and he actually has a good vertical. Can get up and grab a lot of passes.

Posey, Little, Owusu, and Pettis are on my list so far.