Last chance to submit ideas for this year's NFC south game

Finally

This is based on the assumption I will do it again this year which is likely.

First for anyone who doesn't know what we did last year or needs a refresher scroll down this thread until you reach the rule section.

I still feel because this is a message board we need to have some allowances for people who miss weeks. However, the make-up picks in the north drove me crazy last year and it made it harder to follow the scoring. We will not be doing that again this year and if we don't come up with a good alternative we may not have a contest at all.

I propose that we stick with the 3 week total miss allowance. If you miss more than 3 weeks you are DQed. I, also, propose that instead of make-up picks if you miss a week I will take the average of everyone who played correct picks and subtract 1 and assign you that score. So if most everyone got 3 right you would get credit for 2.

I'd like everyone who is going to play start before the end of week 2 so that may be another rule change.

I am pretty comfortable with most of the other rules. With the north being out of the picture the scoring will be easier because it will always be one point per game.

What say you? If you can think of a better make-up system I will be glad to consider it. If you have trouble with any of the other rules, let me know.

My only issue last year, was getting banded about 4-5 games in or so. I was actually doing fairly well up to that point. I didn't do anything rash either to get the ban. (Trust me, I've seen posters get away w/some total BS on here) Just spoke my mind about something regarding the site to the wrong person, I guess. ( don't really know, since no reason was ever given )

Not sure how one would go about proving who they "were" if this were to happen to a poster. Just got to say, that you did an awesome job w/this last year, and it was a very generous and cool thing for you to do. I very much enjoyed the thread/game up until the bannage, and would have liked to be able to continue. May not be any easy way to accommodate that if a Jesus-mod gets full of himself again and decides some reincarnation is in order. But ya asked for suggestions, ya Sardonic Jerk! :P

Btw, this may not work, seeing as how we have one Monday night game this year. But what was it last year for people who missed - a possible 4 points for picking the North correctly? Might not be that fair - people might intentionally miss, for example, if they were behind - but maybe you do a 3 pointer for the following Monday night game, if someone misses? They'd automatically get penalized a point for missing, so maybe that would encourage folks to get their picks in on time. :unsure: And not sure what we'd do about the Falcons Mon night game, although it is next to last week in reg season.

Hey, I'm not good w/math... just trying to throw stuff out there.

• 1 month later...

My only issue last year, was getting banded about 4-5 games in or so. I was actually doing fairly well up to that point. I didn't do anything rash either to get the ban. (Trust me, I've seen posters get away w/some total BS on here) Just spoke my mind about something regarding the site to the wrong person, I guess. ( don't really know, since no reason was ever given )

Not sure how one would go about proving who they "were" if this were to happen to a poster. Just got to say, that you did an awesome job w/this last year, and it was a very generous and cool thing for you to do. I very much enjoyed the thread/game up until the bannage, and would have liked to be able to continue. May not be any easy way to accommodate that if a Jesus-mod gets full of himself again and decides some reincarnation is in order. But ya asked for suggestions, ya Sardonic Jerk! :P

Btw, this may not work, seeing as how we have one Monday night game this year. But what was it last year for people who missed - a possible 4 points for picking the North correctly? Might not be that fair - people might intentionally miss, for example, if they were behind - but maybe you do a 3 pointer for the following Monday night game, if someone misses? They'd automatically get penalized a point for missing, so maybe that would encourage folks to get their picks in on time. :unsure: And not sure what we'd do about the Falcons Mon night game, although it is next to last week in reg season.

Hey, I'm not good w/math... just trying to throw stuff out there.

I am not planning on doing picking in the north this year at all. It was much too much of a headache for me and it made the scoring too difficult.

The deadlines are usually on Friday around noon but that is not always guaranteed. One of the problems I saw last year was people failing to read the first couple paragraphs of the post and missing out on key information about that week, like when the dealine is.

I can't really help you on the banning because I have no way of verifying that a new poster is the same as the old one. I can revise it to accomodate temporary bans though. Of course, if I get banned, which could happen, the contest is immediately over.

....where does the North come into play on this? Was it just a tie-breaker?

If this is just a NFC South Pick'em, then I'm in.

The north was a system that allowed people to miss a week and do make-up picks in the next week's North games. That system sucked royally. It was a terrible idea. There is no way I would do it again.

The question now is how to allow a person to miss a week and still have a chance to win. I like my average-1 idea because it is easy but I am open to other ideas.

BTW, the base prize this year will be $100 unlike $75 last year and if I get twitchy like I did last year there may be a bonus round week again that could drive it up further. Of course, several people didn't pay attention and didn't answer the bonus round questions. Luckily NMV did and so he got a bigger prize.

I wouldn't offer it if I didn't want to give it away but everyone is responsible to keep up with what is going on in the game.

I propose that we stick with the 3 week total miss allowance. If you miss more than 3 weeks you are DQed. I, also, propose that instead of make-up picks if you miss a week I will take the average of everyone who played correct picks and subtract 1 and assign you that score. So if most everyone got 3 right you would get credit for 2.

The only problem with this is that you never know how many games any particular person is going to pick right from week to week. I remember how close the scores were for the better part of last year with several people at the top(myself included) and it would be pretty harsh if it were to come down to the final week and someone pass you from being given points for wins they were never involved with.

Off the top of my head the only thing I can think of would be to let those with missed weeks all do the makeup weeks at the very end of the season. Maybe even the last week. This would allow you(or us) plenty of time to hammer out the details such as the division order or whatever. This would also refrain from anyone purposely missing a week based on the schedule of the next week knowing they would be making up with a specific division such as the North. I remember last year it seemed picking from the North on the makeup week was a lot easier than picking from our own division. The Vikings were money.

Ex: If someone had missed one week they would pick from the NFC South and the NFC North.

If they had missed two weeks they would pick from the NFC South, NFC North, and AFC North.

etc...

Like I said...this is all off of the top of my head but I don't see why it wouldn't work and it would make the whole makeup time ordeal a LOT easier to manage considering it would all be done in one week and with the 3 week miss limit it wouldn't be a problem.

I just spent 10 minutes typing a reply and almost forgot what the topic was about. Maybe I should lay off that Pineapple Express.

Edited by Sho'Nuff

Off the top of my head the only thing I can think of would be to let those with missed weeks all do the makeup weeks at the very end of the season. Maybe even the last week. This would allow you(or us) plenty of time to hammer out the details such as the division order or whatever. This would also refrain from anyone purposely missing a week based on the schedule of the next week knowing they would be making up with a specific division such as the North. I remember last year it seemed picking from the North on the makeup week was a lot easier than picking from our own division. The Vikings were money.

First, thanks for spending the time to give some good input. The most important thing for me is that the game is fun to play and everyone has a good time. I don't think of it as my game, I think of it as our game.

Second, picking in another division at any time is out. I should have been more clear as to why it was a problem for me to manage. Because a person can miss any 3 weeks of the season, they can miss during one of the south team's bye week or during divisional games. This means there are not 4 possible picks each week. It can be 4, 3, 2, or 1. So in order to allow for make-up picks I had to make every week worth 4 points in the south and last year in the north. It made it hard to understand and hard to manage. I think if we waited until the end of the season it would make it even harder because Tandy may only need to make up for 1 week with 2 games while Jaymadd may have to make up for 1 week with 4 games.

I can come up with 2 possible systems and I am still open to more.

System 1:

The final outcome:

Finally gets 4 right.

Tandy gets 3

Jaymadd gets 3

NMV gets 1 (heh)

The average score is 2.75 rounded to 3.

Dem Bird misses the week and is automatically assigned a score of 2 (average - 1)

System 2:

We hammer out 4 possible questions to ask and prioritize them because there will be weeks when not all 4 will be used. They can be questions like what is the total number of offensive yards for all NFC south teams next week +/- x number of yards. In addition to making picks for the next week, anyone who misses will also have to answer the number of questions for each pick not made.

I like system 2 because it doesn't necessarily penalize the player while system 1 definitely does. However, as the season winds down I will have less and less time. So the only way we can do system 2 is for someone else to manage that aspect of it. Answer the questions people will have, do the research to find the answers, and send me the make-up scores in a PM that I will add to the spreadsheet.

We can actually do any system (other than picking in other divisions) if someone else manages it.

Why not have 3 'freebies'?

Say if Poster A makes all their picks in each week of the season, the 3 lowest totals are removed from their score. If Poster B is unable to make picks in 3 weeks, they still have the necessary 14 weeks to be in the running, but it allows someone who makes picks every week to have 3 'wildcards'. No risk for those who miss picks, but a reward for those who make picks each week.

Why not have 3 'freebies'?

Say if Poster A makes all their picks in each week of the season, the 3 lowest totals are removed from their score. If Poster B is unable to make picks in 3 weeks, they still have the necessary 14 weeks to be in the running, but it allows someone who makes picks every week to have 3 'wildcards'. No risk for those who miss picks, but a reward for those who make picks each week.

I have no problem with that but what if it changes the final outcome? What if poster A was ahead by a very short margin and removing the 3 low weeks knocks him/her out of the lead?

I have no problem with that but what if it changes the final outcome? What if poster A was ahead by a very short margin and removing the 3 low weeks knocks him/her out of the lead?

This is what worries me.

Not crazy about the System 2 thing, cause I'm not that great at Googling and looking up stats. That said, I just want to play either way, so I'll go along w/whatever is decided.

I think he means to predict the stats for the up and coming week.

Tandy is the numbers girl. I figured she would be the one to come up with an easy solution. I only know how to count and spend money.

Edited by Sho'Nuff

This is what worries me.

Agreed. A person that picks every week would be greatly annoyed to give up the lead because others missed weeks. I remember FFS1970 last year making the comment that if you missed a week you should just get a zero. I guess I am complicating it a little but I really think you have to make allowances for people who travel for work or during the holidays. If I recall correctly more people missed over Thanksgiving last year than any other week. There was one week I got so busy at work I forgot to make picks myself, which is sad since I created the thread and closed it around the deadline.

I think he means to predict the stats for the up and coming week.

It concerns me a little that it already requires further explanation.

Tandy is the numbers girl.

Yeah I need to bounce this off of her. Now that I am really thinking about it I am not sure even system 1 is fair.