University's police strike again..

SacFalcFan

Jordan Love arrested, here is the story:

"Some misinformation is out there about Love.

Yes he was arrested for obstruction but not because he didn't give his name. Actually, after telling the officer his first and last name, he told the officer he wasn't sure as to the exact official spelling of his middle name. Why? Well because his middle name is from his father and he has no relationship with that man. So after telling the officer he wasn't sure he was placed in cuffs.

Love's mother is a FBI agent and she has told Jordan that if he ever finds himself in this situation to give his name and then basically use his right to remain silent. Needless to say she is livid at the police.

Love was outside the East Campus Village with Shawn Williams. A group of people were setting of fireworks and sparklers. Someone called the police at which point the the group broke up. The person who called the police asked where the players were going and informed them that the police were coming. The players stopped and waited at that point instead of leaving."

Article

Love's mother is a FBI agent and she has told Jordan that if he ever finds himself in this situation to give his name and then basically use his right to remain silent. Needless to say she is livid at the police.

The Barney Fife's better duck and cover.

I don't blame him for being reluctant to talk to the cops and tell them his name. He is a UGA football player and that is all that is required for a UGA, Athens or Clarke County popo to arrest them. Especially when the cop cannot even follow proper procedure and charge him with the proper crime.

I agree with Threepac, here, who calls the cops for this? Especially since he was booked in a 11:35 then these fireworks could not getting set off early than 10:30 or 11. Somebody was a real a**hole, they should put their name in the article.

Edited by Nicolae

Update:

UGA football player’s arrest ‘a breakdown in communications,’ police chief says (UPDATED)

10:15 am July 6, 2010, by Tim Tucker

Georgia football player Jordan Love was arrested late Monday night on a misdemeanor charge of obstruction of a law enforcement officer, but UGA Police Chief Jimmy Williamson told the AJC late this morning that the arrest now appears to have stemmed from a “breakdown in communications.”

Williamson said UGA Police responded to a complaint about three individuals shooting off fireworks outside McWhorter Hall and arrested Love at the scene for obstruction because he would not provide his full name to the officer. Williamson said Love would not or could not give his middle name.

However, Williamson told the AJC that, after talking with Love’s family this morning, there are extenuating circumstances that will be presented to a Municipal Court judge, who will decide whether to drop the charges.

“Mr. Love, I think, was honest in his attempt, and the officer felt he was being evasive,” Williamson said. “It was a breakdown of communications.

“The circumstances as being reported now is the individual just doesn’t go by that middle name,” Williamson added. “There are personal reasons why, and I don’t want to divulge the circumstances, but talking to those people -– the point they made seems very reasonable. The officer didn’t know those facts at the time. We will make that known to the court and let the court decide based on what is known now.”

Williamson said alcohol did not appear to be involved in the incident.

He said UGA Police do not have the power to drop the charge but will make the facts known to a Municipal Court judge, probably late today.

“Sometimes verbal communication doesn’t go as well as you’d hope,” Williamson told the AJC. “This young man, from what I gather now, was operating from honest intentions, but it’s easy for an officer to think he’s dealing with [a situation] like other individuals you see in the past.

“When I see all of it, as police chief, I do think we could have done better. I will say as a department that could been handled better and done better. When I look at the … officer’s account, I can say I see that point, but I think that point is what we need to work on in the future.”

Love was booked into the Clarke County Jail at 11:35 p.m. and released on $5,000 bond at 1:03 a.m.

Love is a redshirt freshman. He did not play in a game last season. He is listed as a third-string cornerback on the Bulldogs’ most recent depth chart.

actually this is a big story hopefully on the university's police.. I hope his mom raises heck on this and that group stops with their harrassment of uga players.

Yet when UF campus police bust a player for putting a boot on a patrol car he instantly becomes a thug? Yeah, let's revisit that whole 20-odd arrests topic again where I pointed out stuff like that and got hammered for it.

Aside from that, whether or not he had a relationship with his father--what does that have to do with knowing how to spell your own name???

Yet when UF campus police bust a player for putting a boot on a patrol car he instantly becomes a thug? Yeah, let's revisit that whole 20-odd arrests topic again where I pointed out stuff like that and got hammered for it.

Aside from that, whether or not he had a relationship with his father--what does that have to do with knowing how to spell your own name???

It is odd, but perhaps it is an odd name like Xzavier or something. How long has it been since he had a relationship with his dad? If it is an odd name and he hasn't been using since he was 2 or 3, then I could understand how he wouldn't know for sure.

Still a little odd, but not 'conspiracy against the cops' odd, like this officer seemed to think.

In this situation the chief of police admitted the police officer was not correct in the treatment and will ask for charges to be dropped. Don't try and bring up old excuses for guys breaking the law when we are discussing this situation. Drinking and driving, stealing laptops, shooting off ak47s, using dead girl credit cards, and other illegal activities should be dealt with by the police. This situation has no relation to the others and doesn't help the excuses at all with athletes breaking the law.

Blah blah blah BLAH blah Blah bLAh bLaH.....

Nothing to see here folks just keep moving along.

Wow, so according to the AJC, Love provided his name, but not his MIDDLE name. So the cop arrested him for not giving his middle name. Nope, UGA cops don't have a bias against UGA football players or anything, no sir.

well this is a big fat zit on the face of the police chief and they messed with the wrong player because his mom, an fbi agent, won't accept this and just move on. when the uga players do break the law they deserve the arrests, but in this situation that wasn't the case.

Who tries to put a boot on a patrol car and how does it compare to a kid never using and knowing the spelling of his MIDDLE name...

0.jpg

In this situation the chief of police admitted the police officer was not correct in the treatment and will ask for charges to be dropped. Don't try and bring up old excuses for guys breaking the law when we are discussing this situation. Drinking and driving, stealing laptops, shooting off ak47s, using dead girl credit cards, and other illegal activities should be dealt with by the police. This situation has no relation to the others and doesn't help the excuses at all with athletes breaking the law.

LOL and I never challenged those things you mentioned but you already know that, nor was that the point.

For all of ya, if you can't see how someone else's petty crap picked up by campus police isn't comparable to this then ya need to remove the homer glasses. Neither one of those are "crimes" IMO. Seems campus police everywhere likes to invent stuff at times. It's not just UGA that it happens to is the point I'm making (that and a bit of hypocrisy but that's nothing new or unexpected being there's a rivalry and all).

Still LOL@not being able to spell his own name, that's just dumb...

Is it just me or do some of these guys have different standards for enforcing the rules when it comes to scholly players. UGA or wherever, it's not like this is the first time a big deal was made about an absolutely meaningless event.

I include driving with a suspended license in this bunch. That seems to be the bread winner for grabbing a headline or two.

Is it just me or do some of these guys have different standards for enforcing the rules when it comes to scholly players. UGA or wherever, it's not like this is the first time a big deal was made about an absolutely meaningless event.

I include driving with a suspended license in this bunch. That seems to be the bread winner for grabbing a headline or two.

Yep, campus police are notorious for blowing things out of proportion and it's everywhere. Sucks for the kids but what can ya do?