Shaq a Hawk? Good or Bad?

Nono

As much as I've grown to dislike Shaq over the past few years...I'd be for it. While he's nowhere near what he used to be, he is a true center and the Hawks have lacked that for sometime. We could finally push Al to the 4 spot and have some kind of presence in the middle to deal with Dwight Howard and these other teams with solid big men that we struggle against.

As much as I've grown to dislike Shaq over the past few years...I'd be for it. While he's nowhere near what he used to be, he is a true center and the Hawks have lacked that for sometime. We could finally push Al to the 4 spot and have some kind of presence in the middle to deal with Dwight Howard and these other teams with solid big men that we struggle against.

I agree Slamee if Shaq can avg 2 quarters of play and stay healthy---it could just be a PR move to sell tickets

I love it. I know he isn't as dominate as his former self but the man is 7'1" and 325 lbs. Horford is like 6'10" and 245 lbs. Here are 3 games where Shaq took on Dwight Howard...

Nov 11th:

STARTERS MIN FGM-A 3PM-A FTM-A OREB DREB REB AST STL BLK TO PF +/- PTS

Shaquille O'Neal, C 20 4-8 0-0 2-4 0 5 5 1 0 2 2 5 +2 10

Dwight Howard, C 32 3-3 0-0 5-12 2 5 7 0 1 1 2 5 0 11

Notice in this game the minutes played and the very similar stats the two have.

Feb 11th:

Shaquille O'Neal, C 19 5-9 0-0 0-1 3 3 6 0 0 1 2 5 -2 10

Dwight Howard, C 31 6-9 0-0 7-10 2 9 11 1 0 2 3 5 -2 19

Again, note the minutes and comparable stats.

Feb 21st:

Shaquille O'Neal, C 31 9-10 0-0 2-2 3 2 5 1 0 2 2 5 +1 20

Dwight Howard, C 44 7-15 0-0 8-13 3 13 16 2 1 4 0 4 +9 22

This game was a little bit misleading. Obviously scoring points is a big thing for a Center, but so is rebounding and you can clearly see that Dwight Howard was able to muscle is way through and grab a bunch of rebounds.

So, while it may not be a flashy move, some may even see it as a PR move. He may not be the Shaq of LA, and he may be old, but he may be what we need to get that extra big body down low to push us further. We all know how much Al Horford was dominate when he was playing the 5 spot until he went up against Dwight Howard. Now imagine how even more dominant he would become if Shaq came in and we were able to move Horford to the 4 spot.

Edited by USAF HART

Cosign. We need another experienced big body in the middle.

I dont like it!

We all agree that Shaq is (has been for a while) on the decline.

I really do not think that he would make us any better.

He may bring in a few more fans to fill seats but I just dont think that the benefit would be that great. They would have to give him mid level money. Money that could be given to someone else. With Shaq on the floor who all would be affected (time of play).

Would this limit Horfords time in any way, shape or form?

I have also read that we are considering moving J Smith! WTF? If Smith is traded I will never attend a Hawks game again! He is the most electric player we have by far.

I dont like it!

We all agree that Shaq is (has been for a while) on the decline.

I really do not think that he would make us any better.

He may bring in a few more fans to fill seats but I just dont think that the benefit would be that great. They would have to give him mid level money. Money that could be given to someone else. With Shaq on the floor who all would be affected (time of play).

Would this limit Horfords time in any way, shape or form?

I have also read that we are considering moving J Smith! WTF? If Smith is traded I will never attend a Hawks game again! He is the most electric player we have by far.

Let me start off by asking one question. How well do you follow Basketball, more importantly the Hawks? The money that would be given to Shaq would only cover a 2 year contract, i believe $5.3 mil/year. That is fine. Horford would not lose playing time, if anything he would actually get MORE playing time I would think. We would shift him to the 4(PF, his true position) where he would dominate soundly. This would then push Josh Smith to the 3(SF), and put Marvin on the bench.

As for trading Josh Smith, with the signing of Shaq for two years, it would seem to be only a matter of time. There will be folks who will hate the Hawks for doing it, but let's be realistic. When you play the 3 spot, you are expected to be able to make shots. Now I know Marvin is not a prime example of that(which is why everyone wants him gone), but he is a far better shooter than Josh Smith. Josh Smith is known for his electrifying dunks, and his great shot blocking ability. He can't dribble and lets his emotions fly out of control too much. He is still young, and carries a ton of potential. With the right team, we could definitely make out in a trade. No teams come to mind at the moment.

Didn't Pachulia and Shaq have pretty comparable stats last season? One could argue ZaZa is on his way up and Shaq is definitely on his way down - has been for years now...

Zaza may be 7 feet tall, but he plays like he is 6 feet tall. He is a good hustle guy, but he is no banger, is not very skilled offensively, is no shot blocker, and plays next to zero defense. And no, Zaza isn't going to get any better than he is now...but I do agree with you regarding Shaq clearly on the downside for some time now.

Shaq, even at his advanced age, can still play defense, rebound, block a shot or two, and bang inside. Not like he used to, but much better than any alternative we have. He won't start here, but for about 20 minutes a game, he will give us some much-needed beef inside and allow Horford to play more of the 4 throughout the game.

I thought that I heard the Hawks say that they weren't planning on moving Horford to his natural position . I also like to know since there is a shortage of big men to be found , how come the Hawks haven't thought about looking overseas for a big man ? I'm sure that there are plenty of talented big men playing over in Europe . It would be worth a shot if you ask me ,who knows what we might find over there .

I thought that I heard the Hawks say that they weren't planning on moving Horford to his natural position . I also like to know since there is a shortage of big men to be found , how come the Hawks haven't thought about looking overseas for a big man ? I'm sure that there are plenty of talented big men playing over in Europe . It would be worth a shot if you ask me ,who knows what we might find over there .

if my memory serves me correctly, we drafted a 7'2 200+ dude from overseas, but traded his rights to the team that gave us Jordan Crawford. I THINK that is what happened.