Time for a new laptop

My current laptop is over 6 years old, and I am thinking about getting a new one.

I haven't done much PC gaming in the last few years because my current one can't handle much.

I have always been intrigued by Alienware computers, and am thinking about getting an Alienware laptop...

What are your experiences with them, if any?

I have never owned an Alienware computer, but I consider them WAY over priced. You can easily build your own PC for half the price they charge. Now this is for desktops, but I would highly consider looking around before buying an Alienware laptop.

Cost isn't really a concern, but I am certainly not going to pay $5K for one.

I can build a pretty high end Alienware laptop for about $3K. I realize that's a lot of money for a laptop, but I don't own a desktop and I rely on my current laptop pretty heavily. My current laptop is a Dell Inspiron 8600 that I bought over 6 years ago, and I paid over $2K for it and it has been having issues for a few months now.

I have heard good things about them over the years, and I was hoping for some first hand experiences.

I have one of the new Alienware high end laptops. This is my second Alienware that I have owned and I'd have to say the company has GREATLY improved since Dell bought the company. Other than it being a bit heavy, I am very happy with the laptop and it can handle just about any game I throw at it.

I have one of the new Alienware high end laptops. This is my second Alienware that I have owned and I'd have to say the company has GREATLY improved since Dell bought the company. Other than it being a bit heavy, I am very happy with the laptop and it can handle just about any game I throw at it.

How hot does it get? A friend of mine said that they new someone that got burned pretty badly by one...

How hot does it get? A friend of mine said that they new someone that got burned pretty badly by one...

Honestly, the laptop stays really cool. This is the first laptop I have EVER been able to put on my lap and it not burn me. The bottom has really good fans and ventilation. Heat was the major issue I had with my first Alienware laptop but its definitely not the case with this one.

Overall Alienware got cheaper when dell bought them, they last a long time too I payed 1500 For my Desktop and i've had it for about 4 years and it runs everything with High end gfx just fine. Im not sure about the Laptops but the Desktops give off a lot of heat.

I think thier Cheapest one with no upgrades is 800 atm, however if you want a real good gaming laptop check out Asus, they're on course with Alienware and a bit cheaper.

Alienware is way overpriced man considering laptops are coming out better everyday that can be upgraded to what ever ram you like. Just buy one with a good graphics card and you are set.

True... Alienwares can be overpriced. The only reason I have one is becuase I got one for free :D

I would warn against ASUS. I am using one now that has basically become a brick. I bought this laptop about 14 months ago, and I got one with a 1GB Nvidia video card, 4 GB ram, 500GB hard drive, yadda yadda... It had Vista on it when I bought it, but windows 7 was a couple months away.

I upgraded it to Windows 7 but ASUS screwed be on their end. They have yet to update the BIOS for the motherboard in this laptop and as such I have little control over any of the power management, sound controls, and the internal fan seems to do nothing now. It gets completely hot, and even with all the display settings settings turned down I can't make it through an hour and a half class without the thing dying. I have called them and they told me that I was screwed.

Thanks ASUS.

**** if it's free sign me up.

but id never pay for one with my money.

Yah, I got mine for free using the Dell accident protection on my XPS 1710 laptop that broke. They told me I would get another laptop of equal value and two weeks later I received a Alienware laptop valued at $2100 :) I was surprised to say the least

Edit: Did some research and there are some people that are having problems w alianware also. I say buy a good HP/Sony laptop and get warranty w it.

If I can give one piece of advice to anyone... Don't buy a VIAO. I am a HUGE Sony fan boy of sorts but I will never buy another of there laptops they are overpriced junk. Plenty of other options out there.

Edit: Did some research and there are some people that are having problems w alianware also. I say buy a good HP/Sony laptop and get warranty w it.

To be honest most of the people who have problems are more or Less re res who go to all the dangerous sites witghout anti virus, and turn they're firewall off instead of filtering traffic and they end up with 8 or 9 trojans.

i had an hp laptop dv2000 and the video card wouldn't initialize after two years. b/c it is integrated into the motherboard, i had to scrap it after a hail mary attempt on a "reflow" failed. i now bought an imac and am extremely pleased with it. i would recommend an apple laptop or imac over anything else based on my experience but i don't know much about gaming machines.

just my .02...

i had an hp laptop dv2000 and the video card wouldn't initialize after two years. b/c it is integrated into the motherboard, i had to scrap it after a hail mary attempt on a "reflow" failed. i now bought an imac and am extremely pleased with it. i would recommend an apple laptop or imac over anything else based on my experience but i don't know much about gaming machines.

just my .02...

Yea.... Apple really isnt the best at gaming. The game selection is extremely low.