JaMarcus Russell arrested for drug possession

Link

Free agent JaMarcus Russell was arrested Monday afternoon for possession of a controlled substance, said to be codeine syrup or "Sizzurp."

The arrest took place after an undercover investigation of Russell's home. Booked at 4:22PM Monday, the former No. 1 overall pick was released "minutes later" after posting $2,500 bail. Already drawing scant interest on the free agent market, Russell won't latch on with an NFL team anytime soon after this news. He is scheduled to appear in court next on July 20th. Jul. 5 - 6:01 pm et

Source: Mobile Press-Register

Honestly, is anyone actually surprised this happened?

I'm sorry, if your going to get busted with drugs, get busted with some good drugs. Codeine? Jamarcus is sorry. I pray he has a financial adviser, but I'm betting he didn't. We will see him on Bryant Gumbels show when hes broke and a Bust.

I hate it worse then anything, if you could have half the talent and given a shot of running a football team, at least TRY. Jason Campbell I have always felt sorry for because having a 5 different OCs and a sorry team. it will be a trip to see him on a different team, because he at least TRYS. Jamaracus never did squat. :unsure:

IN ANOTHER THREAD, A POSTER SAID THE POLICE OFFICER TOLD RUSSELL, "THROW ME THE BOTTLE."

AND HE DID, BUT THE BOTTLE WAS ABOUT 10 YARDS OFF THE MARK. I TOLD THE POSTER THAT IT WAS

THE POLICE'S FAULT THAT RUSSELL MISSED BY SO MUCH. THE POLICE NEVER GAVE HIM TIME TO

PLANT HIS FEET PROPERLY. ANY TIME JaMARCUS PLANTS HIS FEET PROPERLY ... HE HITS HIS TARGET. :lol:

I'm sorry, if your going to get busted with drugs, get busted with some good drugs. Codeine? Jamarcus is sorry. I pray he has a financial adviser, but I'm betting he didn't. We will see him on Bryant Gumbels show when hes broke and a Bust.

I hate it worse then anything, if you could have half the talent and given a shot of running a football team, at least TRY. Jason Campbell I have always felt sorry for because having a 5 different OCs and a sorry team. it will be a trip to see him on a different team, because he at least TRYS. Jamaracus never did squat. :unsure:

Agree. Cough Syrup? LMAO! He even sucks at getting arrested. Pitiful.

From an article I found:

>>

Russell was rumored to be addicted to codeine syrup during his time in Oakland with the Raiders. The syrup is said to make a person lethargic and drowsy.

Media persons said he projected an air of apathy. He had no enthusiasm about leading the football team.

The combination of this syrup and soda forms “sizzurp” which is a substance that is popular in the hip-hop community and extolled by rappers such as Lil Wayne for it’s sedative properties. It’s another facet of the hip-hop lifestyle that Russell should have left behind.

<<

Sounds like a popular thug drug.

From an article I found:

>>

Russell was rumored to be addicted to codeine syrup during his time in Oakland with the Raiders. The syrup is said to make a person lethargic and drowsy.

Media persons said he projected an air of apathy. He had no enthusiasm about leading the football team.

The combination of this syrup and soda forms “sizzurp” which is a substance that is popular in the hip-hop community and extolled by rappers such as Lil Wayne for it’s sedative properties. It’s another facet of the hip-hop lifestyle that Russell should have left behind.

<<

Sounds like a popular thug drug.

Something tells me you only use one hand as you type the word and say it very slowly....... "thuuuuuuuuuug"

IN ANOTHER THREAD, A POSTER SAID THE POLICE OFFICER TOLD RUSSELL, "THROW ME THE BOTTLE."

AND HE DID, BUT THE BOTTLE WAS ABOUT 10 YARDS OFF THE MARK. I TOLD THE POSTER THAT IT WAS

THE POLICE'S FAULT THAT RUSSELL MISSED BY SO MUCH. THE POLICE NEVER GAVE HIM TIME TO

PLANT HIS FEET PROPERLY. ANY TIME JaMARCUS PLANTS HIS FEET PROPERLY ... HE HITS HIS TARGET. :lol:

Good one REV!!!! LMAO! +1

I've never heard of this particular "recreational" use of these drugs until this story came out, but judging from some of the side effects listed and bolded below I would venture a guess that Russell has been using this stuff for a while.

Kathryn Yao

AOL News Surge Desk

If JaMarcus Russell wasn't feeling well before, he sure isn't doing any better now.

The former NFL quarterback for the Oakland Raiders (the team cut him in May) was arrested in Mobile, Ala., on Monday in the middle of an undercover investigation. He was charged with possession of codeine syrup after the police conducted a search and found no prescription for the controlled substance. Now, reports suggest his already slim prospects for re-signing to a new team have all but evaporated.

Just what was Russell doing with the cough syrup in the first place? When mixed with other substances, such as alcohol, codeine increases the original effects of alcohol on the body and may become more dangerous. The illicit concoction has gained popularity as a recreational drug in recent years and is often referenced positively in rap music as "Sizzurp."

According to the National Institutes of Health, codeine is potentially habit-forming, and dosages should be accurately measured. Surge Desk briefly explores the nature of this substance and its effects on the body.

1. Name, Uses and Delivery Methods

Robitussin A-C and Tylenol 3 are common brand names for drugs with some form of the ingredient codeine. Codeine is an opium derivative and is used as an analgesic or sedative medically to inhibit cough.

It is also a moderate pain reliever. It can be taken orally or rectally or can be given as a non-intravenous shot.

Codeine may be combined with acetaminophen, aspirin, and cough and cold medications depending on the diagnosis. Because it is often mixed with other medications, there is a possibility for toxicity and overdose.

2. Side Effects

According to the NIH, taking codeine may cause the following symptoms and side effects, some more serious than others:

* Dizziness

* Lightheadedness

* Headache

* Drowsiness

* Mood changes

* Nausea

* Vomiting

* Constipation

* Stomach pain

* Difficulty urinating

* Difficulty breathing or swallowing

* Fast, pounding or irregular heartbeat

* Rash

* Itching

* Hives

* Changes in vision

* Seizures

3. Addiction Potential

An individual can develop a physical and psychological dependence to the substance, Addiction Search says.

4. Overdose Potential

Taking more than the recommended dosage of codeine can cause a life-threatening overdose. With a codeine overdose, the treatment may include breathing support, such as artificial respiration, a laxative, something to reverse the painkiller's effects, and a tube inserted into the stomach to empty it out. Shock, brain damage and death are possible outcomes.