Evans Out As Georgia AD

Testasparo

Report: Evans out as Georgia's AD

ShareThisPrint E-mail By Larry Hartstein

The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Damon Evans is out as athletic director at the University of Georgia, WSB-TV Sports Director Zach Klein is reporting.

Klein, citing a source close to UGA's athletic department, reports that UGA President Michael Adams asked for and received Evans' resignation.

Evans, 40, was arrested on a DUI charge after a traffic stop late Wednesday night in Atlanta. Evans refused a breathalyzer test and spent the night in the city jail.

Courtney Fuhrmann, 28, who was in the car with Evans, was arrested for disorderly conduct. A married father of two, Evans called Fuhrmann "a friend."

When the state trooper who pulled them over asked Evans why he had a pair of red panties between his legs, Evans replied: "She took them off and I held them because I was just trying to get her home," the trooper's report states.

At one point, Evans pleaded with the officer: "I am not trying to bribe you, but I am the athletic director of the University of Georgia," the report states.

In a Thursday news conference, Evans apologized but said he hoped to keep his job.

"I talk about setting the tone and setting an example and I failed at that," he said. "I sincerely apologize for my actions. I hope you find it in your hearts to forgive me. I made a grave, grave mistake. My actions have put a black cloud over our storied program. I have to take a step back and get on track."

Evans was stopped in his BMW minutes before his new, five-year contract was to begin. The deal called for Evans to receive a $110,000 raise to $550,000 annually.

LINK

As I said in the other thread about this it's great this was done so quickly and now they can focus on his replacement. Some of the names that are coming up are interesting, but Adams is going to hire a national search firm so none of the names may even be considered. I just hope whoever they get cares about basketball as much as Damon did.

Greg McGarity, a Georgia graduate and the executive senior associate director under athletic director Jeremy Foley, has been with the Florida Gators since 1992. The university describes his current responsibilities as the following:

Oversees the swimming & diving and women’s tennis programs, event operations, facilities, video services, risk management, information technology and communications, purchasing, auxiliary services, aviation operations and strength and conditioning programs. Assists Athletics Director in supervision of football and men’s basketball programs.

Essentially Foley’s right-hand man, McGarity was up for the UGA job in 2003 and could very well be the university’s top candidate when the position opens up.

Greg McGarity, a Georgia graduate and the executive senior associate director under athletic director Jeremy Foley, has been with the Florida Gators since 1992. The university describes his current responsibilities as the following:

Oversees the swimming & diving and women’s tennis programs, event operations, facilities, video services, risk management, information technology and communications, purchasing, auxiliary services, aviation operations and strength and conditioning programs. Assists Athletics Director in supervision of football and men’s basketball programs.

Essentially Foley’s right-hand man, McGarity was up for the UGA job in 2003 and could very well be the university’s top candidate when the position opens up.

Greg has been the #1 name mentioned on uga boards and that would be a great hire. Let's hope Adams and the boosters agree.

As I said in the other thread about this it's great this was done so quickly and now they can focus on his replacement. Some of the names that are coming up are interesting, but Adams is going to hire a national search firm so none of the names may even be considered. I just hope whoever they get cares about basketball as much as Damon did.

Why is it great that this was done so quickly? I disagree. I would have far more respect for an administration that deliberated and made a wise decision.

A university is supposed to be a place where thinkers think. There was no reason for a rash judgement. Many a poster is quick to point out that UGA shows a public service message from Evans about drinking. The implication is that Evans should be judged by the letter of his words. No clear and calm thinking, just a rash, quick slash of the sword.

Why not allow a committee made up of leading students and professors decide Evans' punishment? Let the kids learn a real lesson. What is justice? What is compassion? What does accountability mean?

Evans could have been placed on probation. He could have been required to complete an alcoholism course. He could have been required to undergo family councelling. The university could have taken measures to truly help one of its own.

Instead, in knee jerk fasion, the university chose to turn its back on an embarassment. Another lost opportunity for UGA to stand up and self assess.

Why is it great that this was done so quickly? I disagree. I would have far more respect for an administration that deliberated and made a wise decision.

A university is supposed to be a place where thinkers think. There was no reason for a rash judgement. Many a poster is quick to point out that UGA shows a public service message from Evans about drinking. The implication is that Evans should be judged by the letter of his words. No clear and calm thinking, just a rash, quick slash of the sword.

Why not allow a committee made up of leading students and professors decide Evans' punishment? Let the kids learn a real lesson. What is justice? What is compassion? What does accountability mean?

Evans could have been placed on probation. He could have been required to complete an alcoholism course. He could have been required to undergo family councelling. The university could have taken measures to truly help one of its own.

Instead, in knee jerk fasion, the university chose to turn its back on an embarassment. Another lost opportunity for UGA to stand up and self assess.

This is what had to happen and it was great it was done so quickly. Damon has disgraced himself and the university with his actions. Adams came back from vacation and they had a number of meetings about this. It's impt to make a decision one way or the other as quickly as possible and after what came out on Friday even the biggest Damon Evans fan knew he was not going to be in Athens.

We will disagree on this. There is a lot of reasons for a fast movement on this and judgment on this. Damon Evans actions forced their hand and it was clear he was not able to lead this program any further. You can not have an AD who is involved in disciplinarian situations and who is defining direction of our athletic programs who did what he did. His judgment is a major concern with what he did. We did see accountability. You have an AD who decided to be a hypocrite and drink and drive and it comes out he was cheating on his wife while trying to bribe a police officer to get out of trouble you don't keep that individual as leader of your athletic department. They moved swiftly and fairly and he will get a buyout. The lost opportunity was on damon evans, not on UGA imo.

This is what had to happen and it was great it was done so quickly. Damon has disgraced himself and the university with his actions. Adams came back from vacation and they had a number of meetings about this. It's impt to make a decision one way or the other as quickly as possible and after what came out on Friday even the biggest Damon Evans fan knew he was not going to be in Athens.

We will disagree on this. There is a lot of reasons for a fast movement on this and judgment on this. Damon Evans actions forced their hand and it was clear he was not able to lead this program any further. You can not have an AD who is involved in disciplinarian situations and who is defining direction of our athletic programs who did what he did. His judgment is a major concern with what he did. We did see accountability. You have an AD who decided to be a hypocrite and drink and drive and it comes out he was cheating on his wife while trying to bribe a police officer to get out of trouble you don't keep that individual as leader of your athletic department. They moved swiftly and fairly and he will get a buyout. The lost opportunity was on damon evans, not on UGA imo.

When they said DUI, I said forgivable, when they said 28 year old female in passenger seat, I said thats not good, but when were talking about Damon Evans trying to use his position as AD of UGA to get out of the trouble he was in it, then it became 100% clear that he had to go. I've never had any real issues with Damon Evans, perhaps even thought he was doing a pretty good job and with this upcoming football season this is not what I'd want for a distraction but its real and we had to act, this was the best decision.

When they said DUI, I said forgivable, when they said 28 year old female in passenger seat, I said thats not good, but when were talking about Damon Evans trying to use his position as AD of UGA to get out of the trouble he was in it, then it became 100% clear that he had to go. I've never had any real issues with Damon Evans, perhaps even thought he was doing a pretty good job and with this upcoming football season this is not what I'd want for a distraction but its real and we had to act, this was the best decision.

yep.. if it was just a dui and he simple made a poor decision and nothing more than that I believe he keeps his job even with the embarrassment, but it was much more than that.. he also lied to georgia coaches on top of it as well. it had to be done and it is very good it was handled as quickly as it was.

yep.. if it was just a dui and he simple made a poor decision and nothing more than that I believe he keeps his job even with the embarrassment, but it was much more than that.. he also lied to georgia coaches on top of it as well. it had to be done and it is very good it was handled as quickly as it was.

100% agree. we did not need any waffling on this--- at all.

At the end of the day Damon and his "friend" sealed his fate. Bragging about feeling good while driving, holding a pair of women's underwear in your lap, an obnoxious drunk passenger, and trying to use status as an out.

UGA will find a fine replacement but I feel for dude but even moreso his wife. The only positive out of this is lesson that no one is immune from a DUI, NO ONE!

At the end of the day Damon and his "friend" sealed his fate. Bragging about feeling good while driving, holding a pair of women's underwear in your lap, an obnoxious drunk passenger, and trying to use status as an out.

UGA will find a fine replacement but I feel for dude but even moreso his wife. The only positive out of this is lesson that no one is immune from a DUI, NO ONE!

I feel for his wife and his two kids, but I don't feel for Damon. He was a fool and arrogant and felt he could do what he wanted and he has realized otherwise. They worked out a buyout which should give him a nice goodbye check.

It was a joke but I couldn't get the youtube video in with the post.

lol, I had a feeling, didn't think it really made sense. Couldn't quite discount it for some reason though, probably just nostalgia, lol.

Edited by Nicolae

You mean so that we can teach the lesson that the University will hem and haw for months, appointing committees to deal with situations for which the outcome was obvious from the beginning? There was deliberation. That's why 3 days passed before the rumors started trickling out. How long does it take to determine that a married AD caught driving around drunk at midnight with a woman other than his wife, with her panties in his lap, who then tries to use his position to get out of the arrest, should be fired? That's not a months long process requiring committee assignment. It's a question of calling Damon in, asking if it's all true, and then working out a reasonable settlement so that everyone, Evans included, can move on.