U.S. pledges $15 million to preserve remains of concentration camp

nuccah

U.S. pledges $15 million to preserve remains of concentration camp

By the CNN Wire Staff

July 3, 2010 -- Updated 1220 GMT (2020 HKT)

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton pauses to honor murdered military officers Saturday in Krakow, Poland.

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

U.S. will donate $15 million to Auschwitz-Birkenau Foundation

Secretary of State Hillary Clinton makes announcement during visit to Poland

1.1 million people perished at the concentration camp

RELATED TOPICS

Poland

Auschwitz-Birkenau

Hillary Clinton

(CNN) -- The United States will donate $15 million to the Auschwitz-Birkenau Foundation, pending Congressional authorization and appropriations, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton said Saturday.

Speaking at the Schindler Factory Museum in Krakow, Poland, Clinton said the contribution will go to preserve the site of the remains of the concentration camp and "demonstrates America's commitment to Holocaust education, remembrance and research," the State Department said.

Some 1.1 million people perished at the Auschwitz-Berkenau concentration camp.

Because of the camp was initially constructed as a temporary place, the buildings and other artifacts at Auschwitz-Birkenau are deteriorating, the State Department said.

If approved, the funding would be provided over five years starting in 2012.

The United States encouraged other nations to follow suit and contribute to the fund to preserve the site for future generations, the State Department said.

More than 1.3 million people visited the museum and memorial at Auschwitz-Berkenau in 2009.

Link?

I don't know if I'll be able to understand this one, but why is the US pledging money for this? Shouldn't it be Germany/Poland pledging this money?

Why the **** should we donate money for this? How does this have ANYTHING to do with our country, our allies, our diplomatic relations, anything whatsoever except a 'feel good' gesture? In what possible way could the US get a return on this investment?

That ****-hole was a killing ground. Why preserve it? Education? We already have it crammed down our throats, why preserve the grounds themselves? Remembrance? I'm pretty sure there is enough written down and marked down in history to remember. Research? It's been about 70 years! There is nothing left to research, there wasn't much to research in the first place. It was what it was, a killing ground.

Link?

I don't know if I'll be able to understand this one, but why is the US pledging money for this? Shouldn't it be Germany/Poland pledging this money?

Why the **** should we donate money for this? How does this have ANYTHING to do with our country, our allies, our diplomatic relations, anything whatsoever except a 'feel good' gesture? In what possible way could the US get a return on this investment?

That ****-hole was a killing ground. Why preserve it? Education? We already have it crammed down our throats, why preserve the grounds themselves? Remembrance? I'm pretty sure there is enough written down and marked down in history to remember. Research? It's been about 70 years! There is nothing left to research, there wasn't much to research in the first place. It was what it was, a killing ground.

I honestly don't think enough is taught about the holocaust. You mention it being crammed down our thought but when I was in school is was taught but it wasn't harped on. Besides its one thing to red about something, its one thing to hear someone talk about it.......... its a whole other story to actually see something with your own eyes.

It is a reminder of one of the single most horrific events in the history of our kind. And there are still people alive today who went through it or had people close to them go through it like my Grandfather had close relatives who were in concentration camps. He turns 80 in Feb this was an event that happened in his life time and effected his family.

• 3 weeks later...

$15 million in the grand scheme of things isn't that much money. I think these camps are worth preserving, they're important part of modern history. In another 60 years these sites will still be important, let alone several hundred. You could also ask why we preserve things like important U.S. documents, we spend millions each year preserving pieces of paper that are hundreds of years old, we have digital copies and we've had them crammed down our throats growing up.. so why preserve them?

$15 million in the grand scheme of things isn't that much money. I think these camps are worth preserving, they're important part of modern history. In another 60 years these sites will still be important, let alone several hundred. You could also ask why we preserve things like important U.S. documents, we spend millions each year preserving pieces of paper that are hundreds of years old, we have digital copies and we've had them crammed down our throats growing up.. so why preserve them?

If I had an original copy of the Constitution,that ##### would be on Ebay RIGHT now.