Damon Evans should go

Nono

I for one am sick of these public apologies everytime an important person scews up, and Damon Evans made a big mess. DUI and alleged infidelity and all to common but coming from the athletic director UGA as the head of multimillion business that guides young men and women; he should be let go. No if ands or buts. Sorry dude, you really screwed up and embarrassed our school.

Edited by Nono

Steak Shapiro keeps bringing up the point he had a white woman in his car and "this is the South where that's gonna be a problem for a lot of people".

This is why I don't like when yankees come down South and get radio shows and write for newspapers. Does this clown really think we still live in Mississippi Burning days? Atlanta is one of the most progressive, sophisticated cities in the country. There are tons of interracial couples in Athens. What is this doofus talking about? Maybe he should leave his bubble a little more.

Well if you are ever in that spot.... :rolleyes: I'm just saying. People make mistakes. No need to throw away all the work he did at UGA for 1 incident.

I know--forgiveness---but this will somehow set us back a little. It is a national story---we should show all those considering UGA we have a heart but you have to follow a few set of simple rules or we mean business.

Steak Shapiro keeps bringing up the point he had a white woman in his car and "this is the South where that's gonna be a problem for a lot of people".

This is why I don't like when yankees come down South and get radio shows and write for newspapers. Does this clown really think we still live in Mississippi Burning days? Atlanta is one of the most progressive, sophisticated cities in the country. There are tons of interracial couples in Athens. What is this doofus talking about? Maybe he should leave his bubble a little more.

he is radio shock jerk---make your own opinions, not from some guy named after a meat

I know--forgiveness---but this will somehow set us back a little. It is a national story---we should show all those considering UGA we have a heart but you have to follow a few set of simple rules or we mean business.

It won't. This is a great time for them to use his situation to show what can happen when you drive buzzed. Damon has been in the UGA family since his undergrad days 23 years ago. I really think this is not the time to throw him away.

BTW I like 790, but I hate when Steak goes on these dumb a zz rants. This is probably why I haven't turned it on this morning.

Ok its worse than we all first thought---the girl was his mistress because he had a pair of red panties in his lap when the GSP officer approached the car. He admited to drinking vodka martinis and asked if he would help him to get the girl home. He then told the officer he was the head of UGA athletics department and began to cry when he was arrested at which time she was warned to stay in the vehicle. When she did not comply she too was arrested.

He has to go---what a mess

Edited by Nono

Damon Evans doesn't recruit and he doesn't coach. I couldn't imagine this will set any of the sports teams back or anything like that. On one hand I agree that in certain cases an example has to be set, but on the other, I'm trying to think if anyone in a normal work environment would be fired from their job for getting a DUI. Two people at my job have had DUI's in the last two years, but they didn't get fired or even reprimanded for it. As far as my boss was concerned that was a 'you problem' and as long as they could still get to and from work every day he saw no reason why someone's personal legal troubles should concern him. Now granted, Damon Evans isn't working in a normal work environment, he's in a public position in a state that has a big DUI problem, in a town that has a big DUI problem, and a city where college kids love to drink.

So who knows, but I wouldn't be surprised either way, to see him fired or to see him remain.

It's so bad though when you think about that he's the one that does the Public Service announcement for drunk driving at the UGA games.

Edited by Testasparo

I'm all for removing him. How can you make a video that is played on the video board at every home game that says "you drink, you drive, you lose" and then do exactly what you tell your people not to do? Sorry, but this is a place where the man deserves to be punished in the most severe form. I hate it for the guy because he was doing a bang up job, but you also embarrassed yourself, your school and your family. The last one is the worst, IMO. You're driving around with some chick, who's not your wife, with her panties in your lap and then try to use the school to buy your way out of the accident. The officer is a big UGA fan too (friend worked with him as a trooper for a long time and he's been to his house for games). Hate to say it, but as an AD that was getting a raise within minutes of your stupidity can afford to call a cab, hire a Lincoln to drive him around, or whatever he needed. Stupidity has no place in college athletics. You pull scholarships for public intoxication and DUI's, expect your gravy train to be pulled for the same thing. How can you want to have an AD to stand up and discipline kids and pull scholarships when he himself is guilty of the same offense? I like Damon Evans as an AD, but stupidity trumps what he's done as an AD.

Pres Adams is a pompous arrs if he doesn't cut Damon loose.

Adams has been definite about standards and a new direction for UGA since pushing Dooley out with little room for error. I can't see anyway that he doesn't hold a news confrence and announce that the university is buying out Damon and form a search committee for a new AD. The price of being president is making tough decisions. The symbolic leader of our schools athletic department made a costly mistake that if it was simply a DUI or whoring by itself might be forgivable but combined equal his termination.

I for one am sick of these public apologies everytime an important person scews up, and Damon Evans made a big mess. DUI and alleged infidelity and all to common but coming from the athletic director UGA as the head of multimillion business that guides young men and women; he should be let go. No if ands or buts. Sorry dude, you really screwed up and embarrassed our school.

Does anyone else besides me think it was premeditated that Damon's misstress was wearing red panties?

What happened to integrity of one's self. i would hate to know that i allowed myself to get in a situation that defamed my school and family. why should we let him stay? when do we stand up and make people account for their actions. those fines that come with a DUI are nothing for him to pay, but if the "family" that he played for and the school that he loves so much would show him that it is not OK to put the school in a negative spotlight like he did, why should we look bad for someone who doesn't even care about the safety of others? or his family for that matter. sorry but when you have a position to punish others and make decisions on their futures and their action and you fail at upholding those same standards then you have to be replaced .

Edited by hammerhead