Dbacks fire AJ Hinch and Josh Byrnes

Unknøwn

The Arizona Diamondbacks have fired general manager Josh Byrnes and manager A.J. Hinch, according to a front-office executive and two Diamondbacks players close to Byrnes. The Diamondbacks are expected to make an official announcement late Thursday night.

The individuals spoke only on the condition of anonymity because they were not given permission to talk.

The Diamondbacks, 31-48 this season and in a downward spiral the last two years, have the third-worst record in baseball.

Diamondbacks owner Ken Kendrick and team President Derrick Hall have made no secret their dissatisfaction with their baseball operations department. Yet, it had been unclear whether the Diamondbacks would be willing to eat their large contracts. Byrnes has a contract through 2015 and Hinch, who was hired on May 7, 2009, without any managerial experience, has a contract through 2012.

interesting... they hired Gibson, who was DOB's darkhorse as Braves manager next year

Well he was already on the staff and I think it's a smart move. I think Gibson is just the sort of guy that will light a fire under that team. I wouldn't be shocked one bit to see them get back in the WC hunt. They certainly have the talent to do so.

Well he was already on the staff and I think it's a smart move. I think Gibson is just the sort of guy that will light a fire under that team. I wouldn't be shocked one bit to see them get back in the WC hunt. They certainly have the talent to do so.

i dont think theyll get the chance... i think theyll trade Adam... possibly Haren and whoever else is short on their contract... hopefully he gets a good core to build around i dont dislike Arizona