Alabama - Georgia St. game moved to Thursday

JHav

Alabama received some of the schedule relief it had been seeking for the upcoming season when Georgia State agreed to move the Nov. 20 nonconference game up a few days and play it on Thursday night (Nov. 18) at Bryant-Denny Stadium.

By moving the Georgia State game to Thursday, that means Alabama won't have to face arch-rival Auburn on the heels of a short week of preparation. The Auburn game for the second year in a row will be played on a Friday, Nov. 26.

Alabama has to face six SEC opponents this coming season that are coming off bye weeks. One of those is Auburn, which has to play 11 straight weeks before getting its bye.

With Auburn already having a bye and the extra time to get ready for the Iron Bowl, Alabama coach Nick Saban wanted to try and avoid facing the Tigers when the Crimson Tide would have a short week to prepare.

Georgia State, which will be playing its inaugural season of football, had to agree to move the game. One of the ironies in all this is that Georgia State is coached by former Alabama coach Bill Curry.

Yes, the same Bill Curry who reportedly had a brick thrown through his office window following a homecoming loss to Ole Miss in 1988.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/11636/alabama-moves-game-to-thursday#comments

I can't remember the last time Alabama had a Thursday night game. ESPN2 will probably pick it up because Star Jackson will be starting and Bill Curry is coaching. What a story ex-bama QB and coach coming into Bryant-Denny :lol:

Pretty pumped up for it even though it is just GSU. Can't wait to go to a Thursday night game in Bryant-Denny, better be no class on Friday :P

Edited by JHav

this is some relief for them for the auburn game. will alabama score a 100?

Sac please get out of here with that garbage! Seriously we held them down till the final minute last year and will have better depth on defense this year. So this year we will actually be able to subsitute on defense. Last year we couldn't because we didn't have anyone to sub into the game.

And I was sick of hearing about Bama cry over their schedule. You don't hear Auburn crying about having to play 11 straight games without a bye for the 2nd year in a row.

Sac please get out of here with that garbage! Seriously we held them down till the final minute last year and will have better depth on defense this year. So this year we will actually be able to subsitute on defense. Last year we couldn't because we didn't have anyone to sub into the game.

And I was sick of hearing about Bama cry over their schedule. You don't hear Auburn crying about having to play 11 straight games without a bye for the 2nd year in a row.

huh? i am not even talking about auburn.. i was saying this scheduling change helps with playing auburn the following week.. but they are playing georgia state.. do they get 100?

Might have to catch a few G-State games this year.

yeah i will go and support them some this year. i have a number of friends who have kids who go there so we will go and support the new program. they have some funny new shirts that have georgia state undefeated on it.. lol

yeah i will go and support them some this year. i have a number of friends who have kids who go there so we will go and support the new program. they have some funny new shirts that have georgia state undefeated on it.. lol

People laugh when I tell the that G State will be relevant in football in about 8-10 years. Look at what USF has been able to do. Metro Atlanta and Georgia for that matter have tons of D1 recruits year after year. I can see G State pulling a few high 3 star local players here and there. I'm telling you, look for G State to make some noise in the future.

People laugh when I tell the that G State will be relevant in football in about 8-10 years. Look at what USF has been able to do. Metro Atlanta and Georgia for that matter have tons of D1 recruits year after year. I can see G State pulling a few high 3 star local players here and there. I'm telling you, look for G State to make some noise in the future.

You could be right but I don't think it will happen with Bill Curry as coach.

You could be right but I don't think it will happen with Bill Curry as coach.

curry won't bring them back and make them world beaters, but he will do a very good job of building that program imo. they will be hurting a few instate teams in terms of getting those high 2 schools/3 stars that would have went elsewhere. there is no lack of talent in the atlanta area.

10 years from now I'm not going to be surprised to see G-State in D-1. It's not out of the question, we've all seen USF and Boise State do it and have some nice success. With their recruiting base and willingness to accept any and all transfers, as well as playing in the Georgia Dome which will definitely attract some kids, they could see some quick success.