Philadelphia Daily news questioning Roddy's integrity

Robb4242

POSTED: July 1, 2010

Citing new evidence, Virginia Beach police take new look at Vick after shooting

By MARCUS HAYES

Philadelphia Daily News

hayesm@phillynews.com

Andy Reid and the Virginia Beach Police Department have the same problem.

Neither knows what to call Michael Vick.

"Right now, we don't really have a title for him," police spokesman Adam Bernstein told the Daily News yesterday.

That's a clear departure from Friday's declaration.

Then, police said they had "no interest" in Vick after a shooting occurred outside of a bar/restaurant where Vick, a former Pro Bowl quarterback, had been celebrating his 30th birthday.

How much time elapsed between him leaving and the shooting early Friday morning, as well as more witness evidence, has changed that stance.

Bernstein confirmed that on Tuesday police obtained a surveillance video from the club that, according to news reports, shows Vick and his entourage left just minutes before the shooting.

Vick's lawyer, Larry "Woody" Woodward, said Friday that Vick left the club long before the shooting. Party attendee and former Falcons teammate Roddy White insisted the same.

Complicating matters: The shooting victim has been identified by media outlets as Quanis Phillips, a co-defendant in the case that sent Vick to prison for 18 months on gambling and dogfighting convictions.

Several reports indicate that Phillips might have been ejected from the establishment, the Guadalajara , after causing a disturbance at the party, although a spokesman for the Guadalajara disputed those reports.

Now, investigators won't characterize Vick as a suspect, a person of interest or a witness, Bernstein said. They just want more time.

"We didn't know anything" when they were asked Friday morning about their interest in Vick's involvement in the shooting, Bernstein said.

"Since then, we have viewed this video. And more people have come forward, giving information," Bernstein said.

That includes Vick, who, with his lawyer, voluntarily submitted to an interview by police Monday morning - the day before police obtained the tape.

Vick is on probation, and, according to one source, his federal probation officer in Norfolk is investigating the incident as well.

All of which could affect Vick's tenuous reinstatement to the NFL. Commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Vick for the first two games of the 2009 season. He is looking into Vick's involvement in the shooting last week.

Which means the Eagles again might be without their "Wildcat" man. Vick spent much of last season as the team's designated "Wildcat" performer.

In an experiment masterminded by Reid, the Eagles coach and shot-caller, the Eagles signed Vick upon his exit from prison when other clubs deemed him toxic.

In Reid's schemes, Vick would replace Donovan McNabb at quarterback and run a play or two per game, usually an option play, which usually failed.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Roddy gets asked about what happened that night by the NFL and/or Roger Goodell, he had best say screw covering for Vick and come clean about exactly what happened. If he doesn't, and he lies to the NFL, watch out.

Exactly!!! Roddy needs to stay as far away from Vick as possible. He is a magnet for trouble. The spot light is and always will be on Vick and anyone caught in that light with him, stands a chance of getting dragged down.

It doesn't say anything about questioning Roddy's integrity. This is just a rehash after the video surfaced. In fact AP reporters who saw the video couldn't even determine in the grainy video if that was Vick getting into the car.

Wait and see. This is starting to sound like TMZ gossip. According to Schefter yesterday the gunman was going to turn his self in. Supposedly one of the radio stations said Marcus Vick is involved.

Thats the same lawyer that repeatedly said Vick was innocent of all charges(in the dog fighting case), right? If so, hes already caught in a little "white lie" already.

On a side note: I wonder how much the Philly fans will hate Reid, if Kolb gets hurt and Vick is suspended again or kicked out(I know its way too early to speculate on this, but you never know). Who is their 3rd string guy?

It doesn't say anything about questioning Roddy's integrity. This is just a rehash after the video surfaced. In fact AP reporters who saw the video couldn't even determine in the grainy video if that was Vick getting into the car.

Wait and see. This is starting to sound like TMZ gossip. According to Schefter yesterday the gunman was going to turn his self in. Supposedly one of the radio stations said Marcus Vick is involved.

Why am I not surprised? Like I said, Roddy needs to stay away from the Vick's. Its not worth it.

They specifically mentioned that Roddy said Vick was gone well before the shooting, and now video seems to indicate that was a lie. I'd say by bringing Roddy into the article they are questioning how much faith can be put in his alibi.

Why am I not surprised? Like I said, Roddy needs to stay away from the Vick's. Its not worth it.

That's how bad the "news" is right now. That comment was made because Marcus was at the restaurant settling the tab for the party several minutes after the shooting took place. It's just a lot of irresponsible reporting right now.

Thats the same lawyer that repeatedly said Vick was innocent of all charges(in the dog fighting case), right? If so, hes already caught in a little "white lie" already.

On a side note: I wonder how much the Philly fans will hate Reid, if Kolb gets hurt and Vick is suspended again or kicked out(I know its way too early to speculate on this, but you never know). Who is their 3rd string guy?

Reid would need to hire a bodyguard!

This I know......

Roddy ought to have his arrsss chewed about hangin' w/ Michael Vick anyways. Vick did enough damage to the organization already and - while you cannot tell a grown man(Roddy) - who to hang out with - well, if your paying him $60mil/ 6years I think Arthur Blank is allowed to have a discussion w/ Roddy about this and voice his displeasure.

Also, Mike Vick is an IDIOT - yeah, there I said it. I loved Vick as much as anybody when he was here. Mike Vick has to walk the straightest line of any player in the NFL and for him to still have an entourage and have a fellow dog-fighter at his birthday party - what does this tell you about Michael Vick's intelligence? - or LACK thereof. It sounds like Vick is hangin' in the nightlife, clubs, etc.....not smart - entourage? not smart...

I don't think Mike Vick is a monster and I'm not a freaky PETA person - none of that.

I just think Mike Vick lacks intelligence - i really do - i think he's stupid.

Edited by g-dawg

Well said.

This I know......

Roddy ought to have his arrsss chewed about hangin' w/ Michael Vick anyways. Vick did enough damage to the organization already and - while you cannot tell a grown man(Roddy) - who to hang out with - well, if your paying him $60mil/ 6years I think Arthur Blank is allowed to have a discussion w/ Roddy about this and voice his displeasure.

Also, Mike Vick is an IDIOT - yeah, there I said it. I loved Vick as much as anybody when he was here. Mike Vick has to walk the straightest line of any player in the NFL and for him to still have an entourage and have a fellow dog-fighter at his birthday party - what does this tell you about Michael Vick's intelligence? - or LACK thereof. It sounds like Vick is hangin' in the nightlife, clubs, etc.....not smart - entourage? not smart...

I don't think Mike Vick is a monster and I'm not a freaky PETA person - none of that.

i gotta agree with you, he must be downright stupid. And i was a big supporter of him when he came into the league but now im not. He obivously isnt learning anything

This I know......

He totally ignored (once again) everything Dungy and Goodell advised him not to do. That is to not hang out at clubs. Clubs are magnets for getting celebs into trouble. Had Vick had some sense in him, he would have had his party at his house and only invited a small, select group of his closest friends/relatives. He would not have announced it to the public, a month in advance.

i gotta agree with you, he must be downright stupid. And i was a big supporter of him when he came into the league but now im not. He obivously isnt learning anything

Besides the fact that is dumb/stupid and could lead him into more issues legally or w/ NFL(not legally but just image-wise) - dust-ups like this just give the other 30 owners (besides Falcons/Eagles) reasons to never consider Mike Vick to be a member of their respective NFL teams. I hope Vick is enjoying his parties - because its costing him millions and millions of dollars.

Vick may have done nothing wrong and 99.99% sure he did not - but he just needs to avoid situations like this until his NFL career is over.......

I couldn't think of a more deserving fanbase or organization. You trade away a Pro Bowl QB that's never been appreciated after you've finally started to put some weapons around him (outside of the 1 year with T.O.) for Kevin Kolb and a guy who hasn't started in the league in years? Half the fans I know were jumping for joy too...so you know how the old saying goes: Be careful what you ask for...

Besides the fact that is dumb/stupid and could lead him into more issues legally or w/ NFL(not legally but just image-wise) - dust-ups like this just give the other 30 owners (besides Falcons/Eagles) reasons to never consider Mike Vick to be a member of their respective NFL teams. I hope Vick is enjoying his parties - because its costing him millions and millions of dollars.

Vick may have done nothing wrong and 99.99% sure he did not - but he just needs to avoid situations like this until his NFL career is over.......

Exactly!!!

Until there is rock solid evidence against VICK and RODDY, all these threads and most of these post are just an excuse to flame anger at VICK. If you all are still upset about what VICK did three years ago that you cannot enjoy where this team is now and be thankful for it, you all need to get a life.

Most of you are speculating and pointing fingers about something that you've only been reading, written by reporters who are doing the same.

I talked to my stepfather last night who lives just outside Philly to get the local take and ask about Roddy, and he said all reports are inconclusive and that video was not easy to make out exactly what was going on. That right now Vick is not a person of interest, but the Police were going to ask him about the tape but he was not under suspicion of pulling the trigger. He said there was nothing being said about Roddy being of interest either.

With Vick being a felon, if the Police were inclined to believe that he was in possession of a firearm, they would be doing a lot more than just questioning him.

If Roddy was under investigation I'm sure he wouldn't have been down here in Augusta putting on a charity event, or back ATL. He more than likely wouldn't have been allowed to leave VA being a person of interest in an ongoing investigation.

until rock solid evidence presents itself, all this speculation is really dumb

Until there is rock solid evidence against VICK and RODDY, all these threads and most of these post are just an excuse to flame anger at VICK. If you all are still upset about what VICK did three years ago that you cannot enjoy where this team is now and be thankful for it, you all need to get a life.

Most of you are speculating and pointing fingers about something that you've only been reading, written by reporters who are doing the same.

I talked to my stepfather last night who lives just outside Philly to get the local take and ask about Roddy, and he said all reports are inconclusive and that video was not easy to make out exactly what was going on. That right now Vick is not a person of interest, but the Police were going to ask him about the tape but he was not under suspicion of pulling the trigger. He said there was nothing being said about Roddy being of interest either.

With Vick being a felon, if the Police were inclined to believe that he was in possession of a firearm, they would be doing a lot more than just questioning him.

If Roddy was under investigation I'm sure he wouldn't have been down here in Augusta putting on a charity event, or back ATL. He more than likely wouldn't have been allowed to leave VA being a person of interest in an ongoing investigation.

\

No one is saying he is guilty of a crime or violating the terms of his parole or violating the terms that Goodell put forth on him. Just guilty of making another bad choice. Vick needs to stay out of the public light as much as possible. Announcing to the public a month in advance, that he is throwing a party at this club/restaurant is like sending an open invitation to his former bad apples and any other trouble makers.

This I know......

What does it say about your intelligence that your calling him an idiot, yet you have chosen to ignore the fact that this "fellow dogfighter" was not even invited to the party.

What's Arthur Blank going to chew Roddy out for associating Vick? When Arthur was one of the first people to see Vick upon his release from prison.

All reports so far indicate that Vick left to avoid a confrontation. yeh, I guess that makes him really stupid, maybe he should of just stuck around!?

Until rock solid evidence presents itself, all these post crucifying Roddy and Vick are "stupid" and "idiotic"

Well, the police have changed Vick from a person of "no interest" to someone that might be of interest. Apparently there are some holes in his story to give the police pause.

If Vick is lying, AND if Roddy tells the police the same thing Vick did, then Roddy could be in some legal troubles for hindering a police investigation.

Nobody has tried to say or insinuate that Roddy is a person of interest in the shooting, but if he's not careful, he could still be in some trouble over this.

This discussion is about Roddy, why was it moved? Last time I checked Roddy was still a Falcon, unless a mini-mod has fired him from the organization.

because these discussions may start about Roddy but lead to nothing but immature posters crucifying Vick off speculation

Well, the police have changed Vick from a person of "no interest" to someone that might be of interest. Apparently there are some holes in his story to give the police pause.

did you even read your own article????

Now, investigators won't characterize Vick as a suspect, a person of interest or a witness, Bernstein said. They just want more time.

They WON'T even say he is a witness, where did you get that he "might be of interest"

All this article is saying is that the police want more time. it's same thing that Police do in any high profile investigation that is ongoing and receiving pressure from the media.

Edited by JKH5785