Chipper's lifetime #s compared to other greats.

Tootie Quivers

Chipper

.306 BA .406 OBP 431 HR's 1477 RBI .942 OPS 147 Stolen Bases

Mike Schmidt

.267 BA .380 OBP 548 HR's 1595 RBI .908 OPS 174 Stolen Bases (About 200 more games then Chipper)

Brooks Robinson

.267 BA .322 OBP 268 HR's 1357 RBI .723 OPS 28 Stolen Bases (About 600 more games then Chipper)

Eddie Matthews

.271 BA .376 OBP 512 HR's 1453 RBI .885 OPS 68 Stolen Bases

Ok, I left off Brett and Boggs. Brett because he was worse in almost every category listed except for stolen bases and RBIs. He play about 500 more games though. Boggs because he has virtually no power and primarily a high average guy only.

My humble opinion is that the greatest hitting 3B of all time comes down to Schmidt and Jones.

Schmidt-

Only hit over .300 once so his liftime average is true. Won MVP 3 times which is 2 more then Chipper. Although the MVP is often given out to the HR leader, and ironically the one time Chipper hit a high number of HR's (45) he won the MVP. Schmidt's gift was clearly power and while he gets alot of credit for that no one ever mentions he led the league in strikeouts 4 times...Chipper hasn't ever struck out more the 100 times, ever.

Chipper-

Chipper and Schmidt share the same # of RBI for the 162 average and Chipper has 6 less HRs. Chipper, while lacking some of Schmidt's pop in the bat has the same ability to drive in runs. Chipper does have 1 MVP and a Batting Title.

For my money, I will take Chippers numbers over any other 3rd basemans. He blended power and average better then anyone at the position.

I think analysts are hanging on the nostalgia of the older players and not recognizing the greatness of Chipper Jones.

Chipper also looks really good compared to the great switch hitter Mickey Mantle was.

Mantle's stats:

.298 BA .421 OBP 536 HR's 1509 RBI .977 OPS 153 Stolen Bases

I mean Mantle is probably the greatest switch hitter and Chipper is not far behind him in stats. I mean he might never catch his HR, but his other stats are close :)

Chipper also looks really good compared to the great switch hitter Mickey Mantle was.

Mantle's stats:

.298 BA .421 OBP 536 HR's 1509 RBI .977 OPS 153 Stolen Bases

I mean Mantle is probably the greatest switch hitter and Chipper is not far behind him in stats. I mean he might never catch his HR, but his other stats are close :)

+1 excellent point. I knew this, but forgot to mention it. Chipper is right there with an all time great. I don't think he gets his due. Maybe it's because he is in Atlanta. Imagine for second that Chipper had these numbers as a Yankee or playing in Boston. We would never hear the end of it.

+1 excellent point. I knew this, but forgot to mention it. Chipper is right there with an all time great. I don't think he gets his due. Maybe it's because he is in Atlanta. Imagine for second that Chipper had these numbers as a Yankee or playing in Boston. We would never hear the end of it.

No doubt about that. He would have been ESPN's golden boy.

Maybe it's because he is in Atlanta. Imagine for second that Chipper had these numbers as a Yankee or playing in Boston. We would never hear the end of it.

Screw them. Us true fans know how good his career has really been. He is right behind Mantle in the talk of greatest switch hitters of all time. And he is also is one of the greatest 3B to play this game.

Anyone who really knows baseball knows all of this. It's going to be a sad day when Chipper hangs it up. It's going to be REALLY weird on opening day after Chipper retires to see another 3B there in his spot.

Screw them. Us true fans know how good his career has really been. He is right behind Mantle in the talk of greatest switch hitters of all time. And he is also is one of the greatest 3B to play this game.

Anyone who really knows baseball knows all of this. It's going to be a sad day when Chipper hangs it up. It's going to be REALLY weird on opening day after Chipper retires to see another 3B there in his spot.

You ain't kidding man. I'm 25 years old, and since the days that I could remember who was on the field, the two mainstays on the team(chipper, and Bobby) have been there. Not seeing Bobby being thrown out of games, and seeing chipper get that clutch hit is going to be very difficult.

You ain't kidding man. I'm 25 years old, and since the days that I could remember who was on the field, the two mainstays on the team(chipper, and Bobby) have been there. Not seeing Bobby being thrown out of games, and seeing chipper get that clutch hit is going to be very difficult.

First video game I ever played was Big Hurt baseball for Sega and Chipper was on the game batting 3rd like he is today. It's always been that way for as long as I can remember.