Spoon to be eased in rookie year

Sean Weatherspoon-LB-Falcons Jul. 1 - 12:51 pm et

The Falcons are expected to "ease in" first-round pick Sean Weatherspoon during his rookie season.

He'll be a fixture on special teams, but a starting defensive job isn't in the cards at the moment. It's possible Weatherspoon's main initial role will be in Atlanta's nickel defense, where he'd presumably replace WLB Mike Peterson.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=5796

I don't get it? Lofton started from day one. If Spoon tears it up in camp I don't see why he should be treated differently than Lofton.

If he earns it he earns it right? I mean that is the Mike Smith way i thought?

:unsure:

Edited by Goal Line D

I don't get it? Lofton started from day one. If Spoon tears it up in camp I don't see why he should be treated differently than Lofton.

unsure.gif

Exactly!!! All 3(Ryan, Baker and PJ) of TD's 1st round picks and Lofton(2nd rounder), have started week-1. William Moore had a good shot of starting, had it not been for injuries. If Spoon earns the right, he will start.

This is just their way of not saying someone is gonna lose their position to Weatherspoon. Let's see what they say after camp and if he is productive on the field. Which I know he will be

Edited by FalconinPA

Maybe he isn't earning it?

That is just speculation. It is too early to know how he will be used this year.

Obviouly nobody has thought that if Spoon isn't starting Day 1 that Nicholas/Peterson look good enough to hold their positions. They too have an offseason to get better. I think Nicholas will be harder to beat since he is younger and was better in passing situations. Plus, naturally Peterson knows what is coming since the drafting of Spoon and he is a professional about it (which is why he took him under his wing). If you have a 1st round pick as depth that means you have some serious talent in front of him (i.e. Saints and Jenkins). That is what separates good teams and elite teams.

Highly unlikely he will start in week 1. I agree 100% if he dominates in TC and pre season then suit him up. And I think that is how our FO would handle it, but I don't think that he will beat out Peterson on Day 1.

Pete knows this defense and despite his age, he can still play. He has that old man strength :).

By mid season though it could be a different story. I think at the very most maybe Spoon and Pete will rotate early on in the year, but i just can't see him beating out Pete from the start.

It still amazes me to see 2 totally different style of players and strength in Lofton and Spoon.

Lofton in his rookie season played MLB and was taking out in our sub packages like the NB.

He is a north and south player and his strength is vs. the run

Spoon coming in his rookie season is set at playing in our sub packages already.

He is a east and west (side line to side line) player and has the fluid movement to cover your interior or underneath passes.

If Spoon can learn our plays and feel comfortable, I could already see him and nicolas interchange on packages.

It still amazes me to see 2 totally different style of players and strength in Lofton and Spoon.

Lofton in his rookie season played MLB and was taking out in our sub packages like the NB.

He is a north and south player and his strength is vs. the run

Spoon coming in his rookie season is set at playing in our sub packages already.

He is a east and west (side line to side line) player and has the fluid movement to cover your interior or underneath passes.

If Spoon can learn our plays and feel comfortable, I could already see him and nicolas interchange on packages.

Yes sir! Post of the day. ;)

we will see what string he is running with in camp. where he starts is likely not an indication of where he will end up, unless he is with the 1st string from day one. we all expect him to only improve. my thinking is that ST's is only in his future if he does not sign before camp starts. if anything, this story could only be out there as incentive or to light a fire under his agent.

Hopefully eased in means something along the lines of "he'll be our starter come week 1."

I don't care for loyalty for Mike Peterson. Coach Smith's moto is let the best man win, if it's Peterson than you won't hear me complaining, but if it's Weatherspoon (which I expect), then screw being loyal. JMHO.

well with the way peterson played in the first 4 games, peterson clearly is the more solid starter on the front end of the season. peterson slowed in the mid season last year and that is where a more athletic LB that is fresh (spoon) will be moved in and defensive schemes can change dramatically at that point mid season.

sounds like a great idea and a solid game plan. spoon will play 3rd downs and in the nickel pckg, but peterson will most likely come out strong early in the year and hopefully make the plays he can early before he slows.

spoon will be stategically placed early and releive peterson after the bye in base package's, i see nicholas being a playmaker too on the feild with spoon. we need the young speed and good instict to make plays. all the other guys metioned above where the best player on the roster at the time. spoon will be very valuable but peterson will play more solid early and beat spoon out early but his years will catch him 4-6 games in as a starter and spoon will be confident ready and hungry to show he is ROTY material.

peterson, 1 ff 4 passes defended 2 sacs, spoon 1 sack 2 pics and several pass' defended. if we manage that out of OLB position it will prove that our LB core is among the best in the league.

Sean Weatherspoon SHOULD start. Mike Peterson looked like he had absolutely nothing left at the end of last year. If he is ready, it is no reason why we should sit him just out of respect for Peterson.

He won't play with the 1st team. Lofton nor Jerry played on the first team in TC or preseason, but they both opened the season in the starting lineup.

I'm just glad to see that they are not trying to take Nicholas spot for no reason...

I think Peterson will start but only as a 2 down LB at the beginning of the year... I think thruout the year Spoon will see more snaps with the base Defense.

The Coaching Staff dont want to piss off a vet but they also want to get the rookie snaps...

Spoon will see that field allot tho... So im not to worried about it.... I do think Spoon can start day 1 tho.

This is just talk and smart talk at that. Some of you read into things too much. The Falcons don't need to state their exact plans. Guys are better off if they have the mindset they have to compete for the job. Competition among teammates is what raises everyone's game. This is a good/smart move by the Falcons.

We still have plenty of time left this offseason for 'Spoon to hopefully "rise up" and take the starting spot.

I'm just really stoked about the fact that we have all these topics and discussions about who should start at what spot on defense (LBs, safeties, cornerbacks)! We really have loaded up on a lot of talent on the defensive side of the ball which increases competition and QUALITY depth (something that's been missing all along). I'm so excited to see these boys at training camp and all during the season!