Report: Hawks decide to offer max contract to Joe Johnson

Unknøwn

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly hatch you are trying to start rumors. They don't need to get rid of any1 to resign Joe. Not sure where you got that idea from.

But I'd happily drive smith to the airport if we can get s legit C.

There going to need to dump some players just to pay Joe, Smith has been in trade talks for some time now, Marvin has also.

How are the hawks going to afford any players with that kind of money they wasted on Joe? (if he accepts and doesn't get traded). I really doubt we will S&T Joe with that massive contract either because I don't think nobody would take on his big contract.

Edited by Hatchetinator

Umm no they do not. Why would they need to dump people to pay Joe. Only reason you would dump players is to bot pay luxury tax, but we don't pay a luxury tax for Joe signing because of bird rights.

I'd rather get rid of bibby, marvin and smith before Joe.

Umm no they do not. Why would they need to dump people to pay Joe. Only reason you would dump players is to bot pay luxury tax, but we don't pay a luxury tax for Joe signing because of bird rights.

I'd rather get rid of bibby, marvin and smith before Joe.

How could you want Joe who happened to trash the fans and gives up in playoffs?

i just saw that the max lebron can sign for on another team is 5 year 92... which is presumably the max anyone else can sign for other than their original team...

and the 10'ish im sure im omitting some so feel free to add... i actually like Joe about last on the list maybe right above Ray Allen but definitely not for $20 million a year

Dirk

Paul

Amare

Lebron

Wade

Ray

Boozer

Bosh

Joe Johnson

on a side note cant believe Greg Oden will be a free agent after next year... what a waste

It's a d*nm shame what happened to his "career" (if you can call it that). I actually think he would've been one of the top centers in the league, had he not gotten hurt every single year.

The rumors are that JJ is resigning because the Hawks have some kind of major trade in place to make the Hawks a contender. If that is true then I see why JJ is worth the max. If it is not true then why pay a guy 120 million to maintain a mediocre playoff team?

unless its to trade for lebron or howard i wish we didnt resign him.

The rumors are that JJ is resigning because the Hawks have some kind of major trade in place to make the Hawks a contender. If that is true then I see why JJ is worth the max. If it is not true then why pay a guy 120 million to maintain a mediocre playoff team?

Possibly to the Mavs.

In other Hawks news

The Hawks are shopping forward Marvin Williams, according to a report in the San Francisco Chronicle.

Golden State has contacted Atlanta about Williams and the Warriors could call the Rockets if Trevor Ariza and Shane Battier hit the trading block.

Mike Bibby is being shopped around too...

The Atlanta Hawks plan to offer free agent guard Joe Johnson a maximum contract when the team meets with him soon after the signing period begins, according to an Atlanta Journal-Constitution report.

The deal is expected to be in the $119 million range over as many as six years.

The exact amount of the offer won’t be apparent until the NBA determines the maximum amount a player of Johnson’s experience can earn — something the league plans to determine within the next week.

Other teams could only offer Johnson a five-year deal worth around $92 million.

UPDATE

The Atlanta Hawks have offered free agent Joe Johnson a maximum six-year contract worth $119 million, and sources told ESPN The Magazine's Chris Broussard that Johnson is all but sure to accept.

The Hawks and Johnson's representatives met Thursday morning in Los Angeles. Since Johnson cannot sign until July 8, he'll give other teams the courtesy of hearing them out. But unless a team completely blows him away, Johnson will take the Hawks' offer, the sources said.

Johnson's representatives also are scheduled to meet with the New York Knicks and Miami Heat as well.

Armed with third-party intelligence that LeBron James considers Johnson a desirable potential teammate, the Knicks booked a flight to meet Johnson before traveling to Cleveland to meet with James on Thursday.

Johnson led the Hawks in scoring at 21.3 points per game.

Johnson's agent, Arn Tellem, told The Associated Press on Wednesday night that Johnson has not been involved in any meetings with other free agents.

Tellem said he won't discuss hypothetical situations, including a possible max offer from the Hawks.

"We'll see what they're willing to do," Tellem says.

This is about the absolute worst thing the Hawks could have done this offseason. There had better be a sign & trade in the works (not that I'm happy adding an Eddie Curry to the roster).