INFO NEEDED FOR FL. TRIP (OIL)

I booked a vacation in Mexico Beach FL before the oil spill (6 months ago).

I rented a house on the beach of this small town / beach community with intentions of doing NOTHING but resting and chilling on the beach while the kids play.

The owner required that we payed 1/2 of the money up front (which we did 6 months ago) and the balance upon arrival.

I thought about canceling the trip but the owner will not refund 700.00 that I have already paid.

Anyone live or know anyone around that area that can tell me if there is oil on the beaches?

I hope this helps. It's from Monday, June 28.

Below is the recent update on the oil spill and tropical depression Alex. Mexico Beach remains oil free, clean and open for business. Looks as if we are going to escape TD Alex as well!!!

On June 27 NOAA places the oil plume 57 miles from Mexico Beach and 244 miles from St. Petersburg.

Winds and currents will prevent a further eastward movement of the oil plume along the northwestern Florida coastline.

Areas already impacted, west of the Choctawhatchee Bay, will continue to receive impacts as the oil plume moves slightly northwest and closer to the shoreline.

No significant amounts of oil are within or moving towards the loop current ring and there is no clear path for oil to enter the Florida Straits within the next 5 days.

Tropical Storm Alex began to move across the Yucatan Peninsula last night and is expected to reach the Gulf of Mexico by this afternoon.

The majority of the computer models, along with the National Hurricane Center, are forecasting Alex to move towards the west-northwest and impact the coastline near the Texas-Mexico border later this week.

The system is also forecasted to slightly increase in intensity as it moves across the warm water of the Gulf of Mexico before making landfall.

All Florida Beaches Remain OPEN! Pensacola Beach is open but has been closed to swimming and wading until further notice.

Well since the owner is not concerned about your concerns on the matter I say go -- then a few months later one or two of your family members come down with some unexplained/undetectable illness (Claim you have headaches/feel nauseated/and fatigue) - claim you were expoed to a toxic beach site after the owner claimed it was safe and sue him for millions -- that way you'll get your 1400 back and then some.

I booked a vacation in Mexico Beach FL before the oil spill (6 months ago).

I rented a house on the beach of this small town / beach community with intentions of doing NOTHING but resting and chilling on the beach while the kids play.

The owner required that we payed 1/2 of the money up front (which we did 6 months ago) and the balance upon arrival.

I thought about canceling the trip but the owner will not refund 700.00 that I have already paid.

Anyone live or know anyone around that area that can tell me if there is oil on the beaches?

It looks like you may as well take the trip since you cannot get a refund, and it appears that you will remain oil free. If this stuff gets worse, I wonder if many of the people who own those investment properties will start to feel a real pinch in the pocketbook?

I rarely do beach vacataions cause I think they suck, with or without tarballs washing onshore, but know plenty that live for it including some people that are going to the Gulf this weekend. They booked their stay before the accident and then they checked into refunds after they saw that oil was spreading. They were told that they could get a refund if the beach closed. A few weeks later oil washed on shore and they wanted to cancel for their refund and were told that the beach was open and the surf was closed and the only way they could get refunded was if the beach closed.

I rarely do beach vacataions cause I think they suck, with or without tarballs washing onshore, but know plenty that live for it including some people that are going to the Gulf this weekend. They booked their stay before the accident and then they checked into refunds after they saw that oil was spreading. They were told that they could get a refund if the beach closed. A few weeks later oil washed on shore and they wanted to cancel for their refund and were told that the beach was open and the surf was closed and the only way they could get refunded was if the beach closed.

This is EXACTLY what I was told.

The ONLY way that I could get a refund is if the BEACH was closed.

The water could be full of oil but if the beach is not closed....no refund! :angry:

:lol: Unbelievable. :(

Edited by Lee Harvey Oswald