More stadium talk

Delosky

I read another article in the ABC yesterday regarding GWCC's feasibility study on renovating the dome or putting a retractable roof on it. Nothing new there... http://www.bizjourna...ml?ana=e_du_pap

But the interesting thing I saw there was the link below from someone to a proposal from a design firm to redevelop the Civic Center site to a new open air stadium. It has some interesting and well thought out project plans for the site and the surrounding area. If the Falcons did decide to build a new stadium, it might actually be a little easier to get to (I can shoot straight up/down Ponce to get there), there is still MARTA close by with the Civic Center station (maybe rename "Birds Nest Station"!), and that area is already seen a boost in redevelopment that would go well with the gameday experience - shopping, restaurants, mixed-use developments...

Here's the link: http://cloudarchitec...esign.com/?p=13

I read another article in the ABC yesterday regarding GWCC's feasibility study on renovating the dome or putting a retractable roof on it. Nothing new there... http://www.bizjourna...ml?ana=e_du_pap

But the interesting thing I saw there was the link below from someone to a proposal from a design firm to redevelop the Civic Center site to a new open air stadium. It has some interesting and well thought out project plans for the site and the surrounding area. If the Falcons did decide to build a new stadium, it might actually be a little easier to get to (I can shoot straight up/down Ponce to get there), there is still MARTA close by with the Civic Center station (maybe rename "Birds Nest Station"!), and that area is already seen a boost in redevelopment that would go well with the gameday experience - shopping, restaurants, mixed-use developments...

Here's the link: http://cloudarchitec...esign.com/?p=13

Free parking for me! I work very close by. There is a homeless shelter near by. Not they are dangerous, but they earn their income for beverage by panhandling. Otherwise, I would be all for it. There is a lot of housing(condos) there and the residents might be opposed to it. If it were me, I would be leading the charge to make it happen!

Free parking for me! I work very close by. There is a homeless shelter near by. Not they are dangerous, but they earn their income for beverage by panhandling. Otherwise, I would be all for it. There is a lot of housing(condos) there and the residents might be opposed to it. If it were me, I would be leading the charge to make it happen!

I don't understand what the big fuss about putting a stadium in these neighborhoods is. It would be for the Falcons and the Falcons only (plus maybe 1 more extra event per year). That's 10 days out of 365 that you would have to deal with the traffic and the people. The amount of money that would bring into the local business would be enough for me to buy in.

Doraville nixed this right out of the gate with the GM plant proposal and I really dont' think they did their research well. It would cap off a nice recovery to an area that needs it desperately.

Nice find!

That's awesome. If they did this, I would do anything I could to move back to Atlanta. I was sold on the Georgia Dome renovation, but this is way better. The design is the best compromise between open-air and retractable roof, fans are protected from the elements and I love the location.

We need to start a push on this to get this on McKay and Blank's radar.

018_final_02-1024x598.jpg

021_final_01-1024x598.jpg

Edited by paulitik

We need to start a push on this to get this on McKay and Blank's radar.

They've requested at the bottom of the site that if anyone knows how to get in touch with Blank/McKay/TD, to contact them directly. They are serious about at least looking at this from a feasibility standpoint.

I like the area and the design, however as I stated in a earlier post, there are 3 large churches very close that would be affected by all the traffic. Because of that, I doubt this will come to fruition.

You'd be surprised what money can get you these days! The Wieuca Road Church in Buckhead didn't want 3630 Peachtree (the new 36 story Post Properties skyscraper) to go up in their backyard until they did this:

"The partners also incorporated enhancements to the adjacent Wieuca Road Baptist Church within the overall project plans, including a $7 million parking deck, a $2 million narthex and a $1 million commitment to a new playground, streetscape plantings and landscaping. "

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

You'd be surprised what money can get you these days! The Wieuca Road Church in Buckhead didn't want 3630 Peachtree (the new 36 story Post Properties skyscraper) to go up in their backyard until they did this:

"The partners also incorporated enhancements to the adjacent Wieuca Road Baptist Church within the overall project plans, including a $7 million parking deck, a $2 million narthex and a $1 million commitment to a new playground, streetscape plantings and landscaping. "

I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'...

The skyscraper will never attract up to 70'000 plus people on a Sunday morning/mid day, hindering their congregation access to worship services.

Thanks for the great discussion regarding our "revision" of the stadium for the Falcons. We're very happy that the Falcons fans have picked this post up.

We wanted to throw a couple of things out there for you all:

There are many issues with the site. Our concept was more about asking the question of "Why does it need to be on the GWCC site?" This, to us, seems to be the fundamental problem for the Falcons' revenue situation (sharing money with the GWCCA). If they can relocate (and stay downtown) where would it go? We chose this site because the it's a natural valley, easy highway access, owned by the city and great view corridors (to downtown, midtown etc.).

We do not want to submit the faithful to major traffic problems, nor limit hospital access. These are both great points, and we'll be more considerate in the future.

And we're dead serious about getting this project in front of some official Falcons people (Mr. McKay, Mr. Blank, etc.). We're like free agent rookies: invite us to camp and let us earn our way on to the team.

---

We are loving the discussion. We're looking forward to watching the Falcons dominate this year (the passing game is going to be bananas with Harry Douglas taking some pressure off of Gonzo in the slot. Matt Ryan should pass for 4000 yards). And, as a new Atlanta architecture and design firm, we're very humbled that you all are talking about our work. Thanks!

Thanks for the great discussion regarding our "revision" of the stadium for the Falcons. We're very happy that the Falcons fans have picked this post up.

There are many issues with the site. Our concept was more about asking the question of "Why does it need to be on the GWCC site?" This, to us, seems to be the fundamental problem for the Falcons' revenue situation (sharing money with the GWCCA). If they can relocate (and stay downtown) where would it go? We chose this site because the it's a natural valley, easy highway access, owned by the city and great view corridors (to downtown, midtown etc.).

We do not want to submit the faithful to major traffic problems, nor limit hospital access. These are both great points, and we'll be more considerate in the future.

And we're dead serious about getting this project in front of some official Falcons people (Mr. McKay, Mr. Blank, etc.). We're like free agent rookies: invite us to camp and let us earn our way on to the team.

---

We are loving the discussion. We're looking forward to watching the Falcons dominate this year (the passing game is going to be bananas with Harry Douglas taking some pressure off of Gonzo in the slot. Matt Ryan should pass for 4000 yards). And, as a new Atlanta architecture and design firm, we're very humbled that you all are talking about our work. Thanks!

Your work looks great. I wish I had the connections, there are a few on the board that might. Hopefully this will catch their eye. It would great to have a company with the team's interest in mind implementing the project. Once again great job, it looks amazing.

I understand the accessibility concerns with regards to the hospital, but if the city blocks the project in the interest of a few local churches, that would be idiotic. The sales tax revenue brought in by a venue this size would be way more significant than the zero that tax exempt churhes could bring. Not only could a venue like this get us a few Superbowls, but possibly the World Cup. If feasible it would be an economic slam dunk, a beautiful addition to the Atl skyline, and more convenient better area for fans compared to the dome.

---

Personally, I love the idea, but I am well aware of issues of the near by churches. The proximity to MARTA and the interstate makes this interesting. Further, I work near by and would have FREE parking on game day! Were it only one smaller church, I am certain a compromise could be reached, however the three churches in question are older, established churches with large congregations.

We can still dream.......

I understand the accessibility concerns with regards to the hospital, but if the city blocks the project in the interest of a few local churches, that would be idiotic. The sales tax revenue brought in by a venue this size would be way more significant than the zero that tax exempt churhes could bring. Not only could a venue like this get us a few Superbowls, but possibly the World Cup. If feasible it would be an economic slam dunk, a beautiful addition to the Atl skyline, and more convenient better area for fans compared to the dome.

Welcome to the south.

Welcome to the south.

Actually it happens all over. I know cities like Chicago have done the same.

My main point is to curse myself for not reading Drathdon's post to the fullest I should have, and didn't realize I posted the same stuff. SHOOT.

Love the look of the new place though.

no way i would love it from my condo i would be able to look into the roof. im right next door to the civic center. and i think many people would enjoy the values of there condo's going up do to the renavation that a plan in the area would provide. the area is up and coming and there is a really good community already being built here with the new condos going up every where. there would have to be a special hospital use lane but other than that i think the community would welcome it.

Did anybody else get all giddy and giggly when they saw the renderings!? :D :unsure:

I did, I was so pumped after seeing that. Those guys were smart to get this out there. Man, I wish it was a reality. It looks really good, better than I imagined. I like it better than Cowboys stadium. Great location too. I'd be visiting a lot more if they built it. I usually go to an away game or 2 each year, I'd be going to a home game or 2 each year as well.