Retractable roof for the GA Dome?

dmite

In an effort to keep the Falcons downtown, the state legislature this winter passed an extension of the hotel-motel tax used to pay down debt on the Dome, which was built in 1992.

That tax sunsets in 2020, but the extension will keep collections rolling to 2050 to be used for any expansion of the Dome or a new facility. The extension only applies to facilities that are on the GWCC campus, however.

Sorta reminds me of the GA-400 tolls that were supposed to be gone after the road was paid for.

Wouldn't the renovations be less expensive than building a whole new stadium??

Sometimes renovations can be more expensive that tearing everything down and building from scratch.

I'm not an engineer but I don't think The Dome is structurally designed to support a retractable roof and the equipment needed to make the roof retractable.

They have to keep the Dome safe while still being able to withstand extreme weather. After all the Dome was hit by a Tornado.

Sometimes renovations can be more expensive that tearing everything down and building from scratch.

I'm not an engineer but I don't think The Dome is structurally designed to support a retractable roof and the equipment needed to make the roof retractable.

They have to keep the Dome safe while still being able to withstand extreme weather. After all the Dome was hit by a Tornado.

I understand what you're saying, but with the engineering and technological advances that have come to light since the Dome was originally built, I'm sure they could retrofit it for a retractable roof and do so safely.

An expanded Georgia Dome of the future could have a retractable roof, twice its current number of club seats and 15,000 parking spaces compared to 5,500 now.

It might also bear the name of a corporate sponsor.

Those are among the findings of a study commissioned by the Georgia World Congress Center Authority, which operates the Dome, as it works to come up with viable suggestions to satisfy the facility's main tenant, the Atlanta Falcons.

However, the study by Kansas City-based Populous Architects does not say how much such improvements would cost.

The Authority's board planned to discuss the study at its monthly meeting Tuesday. That discussion could provide the first indication of the GWCC's position since Falcons executives said last month that they prefer a new open-air stadium for their next home field. The Falcons leadership also said they want to stay downtown on the GWCC campus.

In an effort to keep the Falcons downtown, the state legislature this winter passed an extension of the hotel-motel tax used to pay down debt on the Dome, which was built in 1992.

That tax sunsets in 2020, but the extension will keep collections rolling to 2050 to be used for any expansion of the Dome or a new facility. The extension only applies to facilities that are on the GWCC campus, however.

The Populous study said an expanded Dome could seek naming rights as a possible funding mechanism.

"Naming rights and sponsorship packages are integral to the overall financial success of a facility," the study said. "It is recommended to include the design team throughout the process in determining the levels of potential sponsorships and naming rights as well as communicating what commitments have been secured including the implications of such commitment."

Populous envisions expanding the Dome to 2 million square feet, more than 300,000 square feet larger than the current stadium. That would put it in the size ballpark of competing stadiums, but it would be 800,000 square feet smaller than the billion-dollar Dallas Cowboys facility.

The expanded Dome also could potentially include an on-site training facility for the Falcons, which the Dome does not have.

One thing that was not mentioned was how much they were willing to share on concessions. This is the primary reason Blank want his own facility. I doubt the Dome will be upgraded with a retractable and or keep the Falcons as a tenant.

From the north Google the Lindburg MARTA station. Good location and lots of parking! Hit me up when you're coming down and we'll crack a few beers before.

B)

Railgate!

Thats what I do....Bring a couple of beers in a bag and wander the area looking for invites to tailgates.....All I ever hear though is "HEY...PUT SOME PANTS ON LOSER!!"......And that is from my own mother.

Don't be so sure of that, they just made some deep cuts, more are likely coming.

I hear ya but I'll try to assume that on gameday's MARTA will have their act together.

But......this is MARTA and the City of ATL we're talking about so i won't hold my breath.

<_<

Edited by Goal Line D

I am always trying to tell people to ride Marta. It is a whole lot cheaper parking your car at the nearest location and jumping on the train, that lets you off right at the dome.

Plus you cant beat the entertainment of the ride back. All the people who got wasted at the game are a trip