NPR Radio

IceStone

What you guys think of NPR Radio?

I think of it the same way I think of the endowment of the arts, and the various ETV's around the nation. I DO NOT actually benefit from it or use it directly, but I believe it likely serves a great service to many people who want to remain informed.

NPR plays great music, classical, jazz , folk and often gives in depth information on the bands, players and recordings. What's not to like? I first heard Old Crow Medicine Show on NPR.

Car talk is hilarious, Garrison Keller is a great storyteller and they have a myriad of other informative shows. Again, what's not to like? If someone doesn't wish to support them, don't. Simple as that.

From their site:

NPR is an independent, self-supporting media organization. It is also a membership organization of separately licensed and operated public radio stations across the United States.

NPR supports its operations through a combination of membership dues and programming fees from over 860 independent radio stations, sponsorship from private foundations and corporations, and revenue from the sales of books, CDs, and merchandise. A very small percentage -- between one percent to two percent of NPR's annual budget -- comes from competitive grants sought by NPR from federally funded organizations, such as the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, National Science Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts.

"

NPR plays great music, classical, jazz , folk and often gives in depth information on the bands, players and recordings. What's not to like? I first heard Old Crow Medicine Show on NPR.

Car talk is hilarious, Garrison Keller is a great storyteller and they have a myriad of other informative shows. Again, what's not to like? If someone doesn't wish to support them, don't. Simple as that.

From their site:

NPR is an independent, self-supporting media organization. It is also a membership organization of separately licensed and operated public radio stations across the United States.

NPR supports its operations through a combination of membership dues and programming fees from over 860 independent radio stations, sponsorship from private foundations and corporations, and revenue from the sales of books, CDs, and merchandise. A very small percentage -- between one percent to two percent of NPR's annual budget -- comes from competitive grants sought by NPR from federally funded organizations, such as the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, National Science Foundation and the National Endowment for the Arts.

"

As a satellite radio listener I can find most of what you are describing somewhere on my prescription list so I should just speak for myself. I love the specials that PBS will run on old music themed TV shows such as Ed Sullivan, The Midnight Special, and Johnny Cash. I also loved the Ken Burns special on the National Parks that came out last year. Austin City Limits is a national treasure. Masterpiece Theater is some good mid-week viewing when all else fails. Yea you have to sit through the fund raising moments, but it is well worth it.

As a satellite radio listener I can find most of what you are describing somewhere on my prescription list so I should just speak for myself. I love the specials that PBS will run on old music themed TV shows such as Ed Sullivan, The Midnight Special, and Johnny Cash. I also loved the Ken Burns special on the National Parks that came out last year. Austin City Limits is a national treasure. Masterpiece Theater is some good mid-week viewing when all else fails. Yea you have to sit through the fund raising moments, but it is well worth it.

I don't pay for tv. I KNOW I aint paying for radio. :P

I don't pay for tv. I KNOW I aint paying for radio. :P

You dont take many cross country trips either I presume. Its required gear for all roadies. I also can listen to any NFL game I wish if I am traveling. Not trying to sell anything here but once you get Sirius, you cant live without it.

You dont take many cross country trips either I presume. Its required gear for all roadies. I also can listen to any NFL game I wish if I am traveling. Not trying to sell anything here but once you get Sirius, you cant live without it.

As long as there is punchbug to pay, I'm never bored on trips man.

I thought I couldn't live without cable TV, but I haven't had cable in close to ten years now. And when I had it then, it was already on in the apartment I moved in to. Stayed on for about 6 months. :P

Not trying to sell anything here but once you get Sirius, you cant live without it.

TRUTH! Sirius is amazing. I originally only got it back in 06 because of Howard but was surprised at how great the service is. The band alert feature is cool as ****, you program your favorite bands/songs into the radio and it alerts you every time a song comes on by that band and you just hit one button and it autotunes to it. The music is uncensored and commercial free, lots of sports channels with onscreen score updates, and a variety of different talk radio. The only time I turn my Sirius off is to listen to MP3s every now and then.

Actually, Sirius carries 2 NPR channels, none of which broadcast "Morning Edition" which is one of the best news programs on radio, but I've only heard it on terrestrial NPR. I used to listen to it much more before Sirius, but now and then I'll turn off Sirius and tune in NPR just to hear Morning Edition. It's the only one of their programs that I care for.

On Saturday nights from 8 to midnight the program id back roads and blue highways, which plays folk and Americana and accoustic music. It is completely awesome and mostly plays stuff you don't hear anywhere else.

listenRadio.jpg

A typical saturday evening at the PP household (minus the women :P )

*fixed.

I thought I couldn't live without cable TV, but I haven't had cable in close to ten years now. And when I had it then, it was already on in the apartment I moved in to. Stayed on for about 6 months. :P

It would be okay to have if you could just pick the channels you want and not pay as much. I think I only use about 3 different stations over the course of a year.

It would be okay to have if you could just pick the channels you want and not pay as much. I think I only use about 3 different stations over the course of a year.

THAT was my main problem with it all.I would watch TCM, ESPN Discovery, History and the food channel unless football was on then I would watch that.

I don't need 5 weather channels and ten ESPN channels. nor do I need 12 spanish channels.

Ironically, I get 30+ channels with an outdoor antenna here. All are crystal clear but the strongest signal of all is a frigging Spanish station. Which is, I confess, full of hot girls.