Memorable moments of 2009 season

The 2009 season was something of a disappointment since the Falcons were expected by many to make a strong run for the playoffs and the NFC South championship. However, there were many positives in this team that bodes well for the future. For me, three games especially made the 2009 season memorable:

1. November 29, 2009 (Week 12) – Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Georgia Dome, Atlanta, GA

What I will always remember about that game was the final play. The Falcons were quarterbacked by Chris Redmond after both Ryan and Turner were injured. The Falcons were facing fourth and goal with 26 seconds remaining and no timeouts left, as Redman connected with Roddy White for a 5-yard touchdown pass, gaining the 20-17 win. What sticks with me was the almost absolute and surreal silence during that last play; it seemed everyone in the Georgia Dome were holding their breaths as the play unfolded. I believe most of those in the stands that day will remember that occasion.

2. December 20, 2009 (Week 15) – New York Jets at Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, NJ

This game may be regarded in the future as a pivotal moment in Falcons history. Having lost the previous two games (against the Eagles and Saints) the Falcons entered the game as six-points underdogs against the touted Jets. However, a great defensive effort by the Falcons kept them in the game to allow a late fourth-quarter TD to seal the 10-7 win. Although the playoffs were just a faint possibility at this point (and the Cowboys' win over the Saints that day knocked the Falcons completely out of the playoff picture) this Falcons team showed themselves to be a team that would not quit.

3. January 3, 2010 (Week 17) – Tampa Bay Buccaneers at Raymond James Stadium, Tampa, FL

This was the game that finally broke the Falcons' non-consecutive-winning-seasons curse. I personally attended this game in Tampa. Kick-off temperature was 38˚ F. – the coldest game temperature in Raymond James Stadium history, so the game was historic for both sides. Falcons had relatively little difficulty handling the Bucs in the 20-10 win.

Perhaps others have their own fond memories of the 2009 season.