2010 SEC Predictions Thread

jdu00743

What's up guys? Haven't posted in forever, hope everyone is doing well. It is prediction time. Bring it. I am prefacing mine by saying I have not been following the CFB world nearly as compulsively, but I'll give it a shot.

SEC East:

1. Florida (10-2)

2. South Carolina (9-3)

3. Georgia (8-4)

4. Tennessee (5-7)

5. Kentucky (5-7)

6. Vanderbilt (4-8)

SEC West:

1. Alabama (11-1)

2. Arkansas (9-3)

3. LSU (9-3)

4. Auburn (7-5)

5. Mississippi State (7-5)

6. Ole Miss (5-7)

SEC Champions: Alabama 28-20 over Florida

SEC Player of the Year: Ryan Mallett, QB- Arkansas

SEC Coach of the Year: Nick Saban, Alabama

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Sac, doing great. Wife and I celebrated our 1 year anniversary a few weeks ago, and I am headed to a certain orange colored university this fall for grad school. How are things with you?

Doing good.. congrats.. man i can't believe it's been a year already for you guys.. yeah the wife and I celebrated year #10.. Seems like yesterday I got married. :D You coming down for the ut game this year? That's a game i am thinking of getting tickets to.

Doing good.. congrats.. man i can't believe it's been a year already for you guys.. yeah the wife and I celebrated year #10.. Seems like yesterday I got married. :D You coming down for the ut game this year? That's a game i am thinking of getting tickets to.

Wow, that is great news. Congratulations to you, the next big one is 25, I guess!

I would think we'll be there. Not looking forward to my expected result, though.

EAST

1. Florida (9-3)

2. South Carolina (9-3)

3. Georgia (8-4)

4. Tennessee (7-5)

5. Kentucky (5-7)

6. Vanderbilt (3-9)

WEST

1. Auburn (10-2)

2. Alabama (9-3)

3. Arkansas (9-3)

4. LSU (8-4)

5. Miss St. (6-6)

6. Ole Miss (4-8)

SECCG - Florida 30, Auburn 16

Call me a fool and homer but Auburn was this close to having 10 wins last year in the regular season. Had the Kentucky, Georgia and Bama games won and then blew them all in the final minutes. We have nearly every starter back this year. We have more depth defensively, especially at linebacker. We have a new QB in Cam Newton but he got a little garbage time with the Gators a few years ago and he should be fine. We should be better offensively since we don't have to switch QBs to run or pass since Newton can do it both. Plus schedule is everything in the SEC and last year we had a killer schedule with road games as Tennessee, Arkansas, LSU and Georgia. This year are SEC road games are Miss St, Kentucky, Ole Miss and Bama. Definately easier. I just don't see where people can say Auburn won't be any better this year than last year.

East:

1.Georgia 11-1

2.Florida 9-3

3.South Carolina 8-4

4.Tennessee 6-6

5.Kentucky 5-7

6.Vanderbilt 4-8

West:

1.Alabama 10-2

2.Arkansas 9-3

3.Auburn 9-3

4.LSU 8-4

5.Mississippi State 6-6

6.Ole Miss 5-7

I know, a little homerism, but this Georgia team (I feel) really does have the talent and experience to have an 11-1 season, I don't know if I honestly felt that way before last season. We all had high hopes for Joe Cox and we had a lot of questions that needed to be answered, and we still do, but here's my reasoning: Georgia has the most experienced offensive line in college football, if we can really take advantage of that and go back to the old school Georgia football days of running the ball and playing defense, then this team is built for success. Washaun Ealy and Caleb Kind will be an awesome tandem to watch, we are in pretty good shape at wide reciever, look for a solid running game along with A.J. Green, Orson Charles, Tavares King, Rantavious Wooten, Marlon Brown and co. to help take the pressure of of Aaron Murray. Hopefully our season won't have to depend on Aaron, I have high hopes for him, and I think he'll be great, but knowing this will be his first season playing in the best conference in the country we know that we can not live and die on him this year. Defense is another question, we have plenty of play makers on defense, but we need to see how well they can adapt to the 3-4. I am EXTREMELY confident that Todd Grantham will have our defense back to the way it should be after the Martinez disaster, but it's still a wait and see type of situation. There are still a lot of "What ifs" going into this season, and do I think that an 11-1 record is really possible? -Yes, but unlikely, but that mostly comes from excitment, we're all excited, college football is almost back and we all wish for nothing but great success for our respective teams.

Outside of Georgia football, I'll make a few other predictions.. I think that john Brantley will have a VERY good year for Florida, and I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes only second behind Ryan Mallett in SEC offensive player of the year, ****, he may win, I just know that my expectations are unfortunately high for him. I do believe that Mallet will be the offensive player of the year in the SEC, hopefully Georgia also has a couple players in that mix. I think this will be a very rough year for Tennessee, they may pick up a couple quality wins just on talent, but their lack of O-line depth will hurt them badly, especially with an inexperienced QB coming in.. I'm looking forward to seeing Baccari Rambo light up Da'Rick Rogers in this years UGA/Tennessee game. Alabama will once again win the west, but I look for there to be a lot of competition in the west this year. I think that Bama, Arkansas, LSU, and Auburn each have a legitimate shot at winning the West this year, but it would still be hard for me to pick anyone but Bama to win it. I also wouldn't be surprised if Mississippi State plays a roll in deciding who wins the west, I expect atleast a couple upsets out of them, I think Dan Mullen has them going in the right direction.. But in the end, it's a Georgia/Alabama SECCG, and I believe in my heart of hearts that Georgia will win on a last-secong Blaire Walsh field goal. But like I said, only time will tell, I'm just an excited fan at the moment.

All SEC first Team Offense:

QB-Ryan Mallet-Arkansas

RB-Mark Ingram-Alabama

RB-Washaun Ealy-Georgia

WR-AJ Green-Georgia

WR-Julio Jones-Alabama

WR-Randall Cobb-Kentucky

TE-DJ Williams-Arkansas

C-Mike Pouncy-Florida

OG-Barrett Jones-Alabama

OG-Carl Johnson-Florida

OT-Clint Boling-Georgia

OT-Lee Ziemba-Auburn

All SEC first team defense

DE-Cliff Matthews-South Carolina

DT-Jerrell Powe-Ole Miss

DT-Drake Nevis-LSU

DE-Marcell Dareus-Alabama

LB-Justin Houston-Georgia

LB-Kelvin Sheppard-LSU

LB-Donta Hightower-Alabama

LB-Craig Stevens-Auburn

CB-Janoris Jenkins-Florida

CB-Brandon Boykin-Georgia

S-Will Hill-Florida

S-Janzen Jackson-Tennessee

Special Teams

K-Blair Walsh-Georgia

P-Drew Butler-Georgia

PR-Chris Rainey-Florida

KR-Branden Smith-Georgia

That was fun, I enjoyed compiling that.. man.. college football is almost here! :D

Edited by Lennon

East:

1.Georgia 11-1

2.Florida 9-3

3.South Carolina 8-4

4.Tennessee 6-6

5.Kentucky 5-7

6.Vanderbilt 4-8

West:

1.Alabama 10-2

2.Arkansas 9-3

3.Auburn 9-3

4.LSU 8-4

5.Mississippi State 6-6

6.Ole Miss 5-7

I know, a little homerism, but this Georgia team (I feel) really does have the talent and experience to have an 11-1 season, I don't know if I honestly felt that way before last season. We all had high hopes for Joe Cox and we had a lot of questions that needed to be answered, and we still do, but here's my reasoning: Georgia has the most experienced offensive line in college football, if we can really take advantage of that and go back to the old school Georgia football days of running the ball and playing defense, then this team is built for success. Washaun Ealy and Caleb Kind will be an awesome tandem to watch, we are in pretty good shape at wide reciever, look for a solid running game along with A.J. Green, Orson Charles, Tavares King, Rantavious Wooten, Marlon Brown and co. to help take the pressure of of Aaron Murray. Hopefully our season won't have to depend on Aaron, I have high hopes for him, and I think he'll be great, but knowing this will be his first season playing in the best conference in the country we know that we can not live and die on him this year. Defense is another question, we have plenty of play makers on defense, but we need to see how well they can adapt to the 3-4. I am EXTREMELY confident that Todd Grantham will have our defense back to the way it should be after the Martinez disaster, but it's still a wait and see type of situation. There are still a lot of "What ifs" going into this season, and do I think that an 11-1 record is really possible? -Yes, but unlikely, but that mostly comes from excitment, we're all excited, college football is almost back and we all wish for nothing but great success for our respective teams.

Outside of Georgia football, I'll make a few other predictions.. I think that john Brantley will have a VERY good year for Florida, and I wouldn't be surprised if he finishes only second behind Ryan Mallett in SEC offensive player of the year, ****, he may win, I just know that my expectations are unfortunately high for him. I do believe that Mallet will be the offensive player of the year in the SEC, hopefully Georgia also has a couple players in that mix. I think this will be a very rough year for Tennessee, they may pick up a couple quality wins just on talent, but their lack of O-line depth will hurt them badly, especially with an inexperienced QB coming in.. I'm looking forward to seeing Baccari Rambo light up Da'Rick Rogers in this years UGA/Tennessee game. Alabama will once again win the west, but I look for there to be a lot of competition in the west this year. I think that Bama, Arkansas, LSU, and Auburn each have a legitimate shot at winning the West this year, but it would still be hard for me to pick anyone but Bama to win it. I also wouldn't be surprised if Mississippi State plays a roll in deciding who wins the west, I expect atleast a couple upsets out of them, I think Dan Mullen has them going in the right direction.. But in the end, it's a Georgia/Alabama SECCG, and I believe in my heart of hearts that Georgia will win on a last-secong Blaire Walsh field goal. But like I said, only time will tell, I'm just an excited fan at the moment.

All SEC first Team Offense:

QB-Ryan Mallet-Arkansas

RB-Mark Ingram-Alabama

RB-Washaun Ealy-Georgia

WR-AJ Green-Georgia

WR-Julio Jones-Alabama

WR-Randall Cobb-Kentucky

TE-DJ Williams-Arkansas

C-Mike Pouncy-Florida

OG-Barrett Jones-Alabama

OG-Carl Johnson-Florida

OT-Clint Boling-Georgia

OT-Lee Ziemba-Auburn

All SEC first team defense

DE-Cliff Matthews-South Carolina

DT-Jerrell Powe-Ole Miss

DT-Drake Nevis-LSU

DE-Marcell Dareus-Alabama

LB-Justin Houston-Georgia

LB-Kelvin Sheppard-LSU

LB-Dont’a Hightower-Alabama

LB-Craig Stevens-Auburn

CB-Janoris Jenkins-Florida

CB-Brandon Boykin-Georgia

S-Will Hill-Florida

S-Janzen Jackson-Tennessee

Special Teams

K-Blair Walsh-Georgia

P-Drew Butler-Georgia

PR-Chris Rainey-Florida

KR-Branden Smith-Georgia

That was fun, I enjoyed compiling that.. man.. college football is almost here! :D

Georgia has the most experienced offensive line in college football? Who do they have on the OL? Just asking because I seriously don't know. I do know that Auburn has a pretty experienced offensive line too. We have 4 Seniors and 1 Junior on our line and 3 of those Seniors have been playing since they were true Freshman.

Georgia has the most experienced offensive line in college football? Who do they have on the OL? Just asking because I seriously don't know. I do know that Auburn has a pretty experienced offensive line too. We have 4 Seniors and 1 Junior on our line and 3 of those Seniors have been playing since they were true Freshman.

As far as collective starts made by returning players, yes, Georgia is first in the conference and country.. Auburn ranks second in the conference, this is from Phil Steele

1. Georgia (155)

2. Auburn (111)

3. Florida (87)

4. Miss. State (85)

5. Arkansas (77)

6. South Carolina (72)

7. LSU (52)

8. Alabama (46)

9. Kentucky (31)

10. Ole Miss (22)

11. Vanderbilt (20)

12. Tennessee (13)

As far as collective starts made by returning players, yes, Georgia is first in the conference and country.. Auburn ranks second in the conference, this is from Phil Steele

1. Georgia (155)

2. Auburn (111)

3. Florida (87)

4. Miss. State (85)

5. Arkansas (77)

6. South Carolina (72)

7. LSU (52)

8. Alabama (46)

9. Kentucky (31)

10. Ole Miss (22)

11. Vanderbilt (20)

12. Tennessee (13)

Ok. Cool. Thanks for the info.

Here are my predictions. No matter the result, let's make a pact not to delete this thread during the season if a certain team or teams struggle and do not live up to expectations. That was unfortunate this past season that we could not go back and review the predictions.

SEC East:

1. South Carolina (10-2; Losses to Aub and KY)

2. Florida (9-3; Losses to Ala, SC, and FSU)

3. Georgia (9-3; Losses to SC, Fla, and GT)

4. Kentucky (7-5; Losses to Fla, Ole Miss, MSU, UGA, and Tenn)

5. Tennessee (6-6; Losses to Ore, Fla, LSU, UGA, Ala, and SC)

6. Vanderbilt (2-10; Losses to NW, LSU, Ole Miss, UConn, UGA, SC, Ark, Fla, KY, and Tenn)

SEC West:

1. Alabama (10-2; Losses to Ark and SC)

2. LSU (8-4; Losses to NC, MSU, Fla, and Ala)

3. Arkansas (9-3; Losses to Ole Miss, SC, and LSU)

4. Auburn (7-5; Losses to KY, Ark, LSU, UGA, and Ala)

5. Mississippi State (7-5; Losses to UGA, Hou, Fla, Ala, and Ark)

6. Ole Miss (6-6; Losses to Fresno, Ala, AU, Tenn, LSU, and MSU)

SEC Champions: Alabama over South Carolina (31-20)

SEC Offensive Player of the Year: AJ Green (Georgia)

SEC Defensive Player of the Year: Dont'a Hightower (Alabama)

SEC Freshman of the Year: Marcus Lattimore (South Carolina)

SEC Coach of the Year: Steve Spurrier (South Carolina)

Wow, that is great news. Congratulations to you, the next big one is 25, I guess!

I would think we'll be there. Not looking forward to my expected result, though.

thanks man.. it should be an interesting game since we are coming back once again from a road trip to a place a like colorado.

1. Georgia (155)

2. Auburn (111)

3. Florida (87)

4. Miss. State (85)

5. Arkansas (77)

6. South Carolina (72)

7. LSU (52)

8. Alabama (46)

9. Kentucky (31)

10. Ole Miss (22)

11. Vanderbilt (20)

12. Tennessee (13)

Yep we don't need to worry about a youthful offensive line this year.. :D

The Eastern division will pretty much be determined by what Georgia and Florida do. South Carolina always has a lot of talent but just cant seem to get it all together. Tennessee and Kentucky will be rebuilding but may pull an upset or two. Vandy is Vandy but they will be competitive.

The West is basically a crap shoot. Bama is the favorite for obvious reasons. LSU, Auburn, and Arkansas could easily sneak up and win the West if Bama stumbles. Ole Miss and Miss State should both get bowl eligible and could could easily pull an upset or two as well.

that's just my 2 cents.....

I won't get into overall record either, but here's my prediction for the final standings...

SEC East

1. Georgia

2. South Carolina

3. Florida

4. Kentucky

5. Tennessee

6. Vanderbilt

SEC West

1. Alabama

2. Auburn

3. Arkansas

4. LSU

5. Ole Miss

6. Miss State

SEC Championship: Bama over Georgia

Here are my predictions. No matter the result, let's make a pact not to delete this thread during the season if a certain team or teams struggle and do not live up to expectations. That was unfortunate this past season that we could not go back and review the predictions.

Who deleted the thread last year?

East:

1.Georgia 10-2

2.Florida 9-3

3.South Carolina 8-4

4.Kentucky 6-6

5.Tennessee 5-7

6.Vanderbilt 4-8

West:

1.LSU 10-2

2.Arkansas 9-3

3.Alabama 9-3

4.Auburn 8-4

5.Mississippi State 6-6

6.Ole Miss 5-7

UGA over LSU

Some opinions on this year:

SEC East:

I think kentucky ends their streak of losses to Tennessee this year. If they don't do it this year they never well. UGA's early games with arkansas/south carolina will give you a glimpse about the ultimate outcome of their season. If UGA wins them both they could end up with just 1 loss or better on the year, lose them both and UGA is in for a 3 to 4 loss season. Those two games are pivotal. I do feel great about the season with arguably the best oline in the country, top 2 wr position in the country, top 5 rb position, an improved defense, top 5 special teams in the country, and a qb who i think won't make the same mistakes as last year's qb especially since he won't be in the same situations either. Also UGA;s schedule is easier than the year before. South Carolina was a team i was leaning toward giving some respect this coming year, but their lack of showing up for uconn just shows how far away they are of being a real contender. Shaw replaces Garcia by game 6.

SEC West:

Houston Nutt will start getting some heat. LSU will rebound, but will that keep Les Miles in Baton Rouge if Rich Rod loses his job? Will the preseason hype for Arkansas have the same outcome as the hype for Ole Miss last year? The SEC West is IMO one of the toughest divisions to predict this coming year. You have 4 teams minimum that could win it.

EAST

Florida (10-2)

South Carolina (9-3)

Georgia (8-4)

Tennessee (6-6)

Kentucky(5-7)

Vanderbilt (Who cares)

WEST

Alabama (11-1)

Auburn (10-2)

LSU (8-4)

Arkansas (8-4)

Miss. State (7-5)

Ole Miss (6-6)

SEC Offensive Player Of The Year: Mark Ingram

SEC Defensive Player Of The Year: Janoris Jenkins

Surprise team: Mississippi State, I'm predicting a few upsets from them.

The West is a MUCH stronger division than the East from top to bottom. I think all six teams are bowl eligible at the end of the year. Les Miles and Houston Nutt will be on serious hot seats this year, and I don't believe that Miles is coaching at LSU next year unless he pulls off a 10 win season. He definitely has the talent at his disposal, but I'm beginning to doubt his abilities as a game manager and just coach period.

In the East I think Florida returns so many guys with so much playing time that will end up being the difference at the end of the year. A lot of people think that Florida's success will be based on the play of Brantley, but in my opinion their success will lay with the defense. It's not like 2007 where a bunch of true freshmen and sophomores are taking the place of basically an entire dominating defensive unit. The guys stepping in place of Spikes and Haden and Wright and Dunlap all have significant playing time and are all juniors and seniors. HUGE question at defensive coordinator, but I have faith that the same aggressiveness and mentality is going to be there.