Falcons likely still looking for DEs

hawkeye

skyrock (Burbank,Ca )

I love the everything the Falcons are doing. The new regime makes me all giddy inside but I am a little concern with the DE position. If JA goes down, what's there to keep the train moving?? I like Bierman, Sidberry is up and coming, but do they have enough strong back ups from what you've seen or heard?? Is there some unknown that is waiting in the wings??

Pat Yasinskas (12:52 PM)

Not predicting anything, but keep in mind Falcons made moves late in last two preseasons to get Domonique Foxworth and Tye Hill. Possible we could see something like that with a DE this year.

Mark H (Greensboro, NC)

Who do you think the best positions coach in the NFC south?

Pat Yasinskas (1:56 PM)

Paul Boudreaux with Atlanta's offensive line.

Jim (Athens, Ga)

Hey Pat, I've noticed a lack of questions regarding the Falcons during these chats, so I figured I would step in and try to fix that problem. First off, I like Smith and Dimitroff's idea in all players being versatile and being able to play more than one position, but do you think that could cause problems for rookies like Weatherspoon who is going to have to learn multiple linebacker positions, possibly play special teams, and adjust to the life in the NFL. Secondly who is going to take the special teams returning spot. The incumbent Weems or the 5th round pick Franks? I've heard Franks has potential.

Pat Yasinskas (1:04 PM)

I think they'll settle Weatherspoon into one spot when they get into camp. I think they're pretty high on Franks.

Chris (Richmond, VA)

I've heard many negative things about Roddy White's game such as, too many drops, don't block, not speedy, and so on so forth but yet he get's the job done. At what number would you rank him as a WR in the nfl and what qualities does he have that makes him stand out?

Pat Yasinskas (1:14 PM)

Probably somewhere around No. 10 off the top of my head. Roddy's a pretty gifted guy overall and people tend to draw on the negatives because he makes things look easy.

JT (Stafford, VA)

How badly to the falcons need to upgrade the #2 WR across from Roddy White to be an elite offense? Isn't Vincent Jackson worth a look in an uncapped year?

Pat Yasinskas (1:21 PM)

Think you could see Harry Douglas emerge as starter before too long.

Scott (Cocoa Beach)

Comeback NFCS player for next season is .......

Pat Yasinskas (1:38 PM)

Harry Douglas.

adam (columbia sc)

Top rusher in the South next year is.....

Pat Yasinskas (1:40 PM)

Michael Turner.

Edited by hawkeye

I am not near as worried about our DE's as I was earlier this offseason. With JA98 playing more DT that is going to give KB more snaps which is a huge plus for the DE's. Sidbury looked good last season when he actually got playing time and people are also sleeping on Chauncey Davis. Not worried at all. Then add in the addition of Peters and growth of Walker and Jerry. Na we will be fine.

I can not think of a FA DE that we would sign off the top of my head and can not think of a player that we would target in a trade either.

skyrock (Burbank,Ca )

Pat Yasinskas (12:52 PM)

Not predicting anything, but keep in mind Falcons made moves late in last two preseasons to get Domonique Foxworth and Tye Hill. Possible we could see something like that with a DE this year.

Nowhere does this suggest that it is "likely" Falcons will sign a DE.

This is how annoying rumors get started aroiund here. A misrepresentatio of a speculative statement from a pundit and next thing you know TD has guaranteed a huge signing at DE before preseason!

Why do so many fans have such little faith in Beirmann anyway?

This is how annoying rumors get started aroiund here. A hyperbolic regurgitation of a speculative statement from a pundit and next thing you know TD has guaranteed a huge signing at DE before preseason!

Why do so many fans have such little faith in Beirann anyway?

Those of us that can actually SPELL his name have PLENTY of faith! :P

Those of us that can actually SPELL his name have PLENTY of faith! :P

I'm serious, so many are inconsistent with their views about Beirmann. On one hand they praise him and insist he is going to break out bigtime this year, yet are also always clammoring for us to draft or sign a DE stating it is our single biggest need.

This is how annoying rumors get started aroiund here. A misrepresentatio of a speculative statement from a pundit and next thing you know TD has guaranteed a huge signing at DE before preseason!

I'll give you +1 in support of Beirmann's ability to improve his pass rush and run stop skills this year. I just hope he gets used to his eyes before any scrimmages. Many fans on this TATF board don't give him credit because he's not a household name....yet. Count on the MMAthletics to give him the strength and physicality to go up against those 320# + O linemen and throw them off like a wet coat...

I'll give you +1 in support of Beirmann's ability to improve his pass rush and run stop skills this year. I just hope he gets used to his eyes before any scrimmages. Many fans on this TATF board don't give him credit because he's not a household name....yet. Count on the MMAthletics to give him the strength and physicality to go up against those 320# + O linemen and throw them off like a wet coat...

One thing I noticed about Beirmann is his run defense has steadiliy improved, even as the season progressed last year. He's a baller, there is no doubt in my mind.

With an improved secondary he would have had more sacks last year too. This year he is going to be a complete DE but we rotate all our DL so he will share snaps with JA98 and others still to keep them all fresh.

I'm more. Concerned about RDE right now. Its here you have to get heat or you are toast.

I'm serious, so many are inconsistent with their views about Beirmann. On one hand they praise him and insist he is going to break out bigtime this year, yet are also always clammoring for us to draft or sign a DE stating it is our single biggest need.

I know. I was just bustin' your chops. I think it has more to do w/a lack of faith in JA98, or concern that Abe isn't going to back bounce maybe. Dunno. I do think it's a valid concern. But no one has a crystal ball on this board, and the fact of it is - Smitty and TD are in a much better place to discern what needs to be done that any of us.

I really shouldn't even respond to this but I will. First of all I like Beirmann and I'm ok with our DE's now.

Secondly I am just reporting Falcon news. I'm not trying to say anything from this. Third I actually got the

title from ESPN site. I didn't make it up.

I really shouldn't even respond to this but I will. First of all I like Beirmann and I'm ok with our DE's now.

Secondly I am just reporting Falcon news. I'm not trying to say anything from this. Third I actually got the

title from ESPN site. I didn't make it up.

I wasn't questioning your personal opinion of Beirmann, I was asking that question in general terms as there is an inconsistencyamong the fan base and even pundits. Many fans LOVE. Beirmann and expect him to break out, yet at the same time consider DE our weakest position.

As far as the title, it is misleading and that is how some rumors get started here. Pat Y was simply speculating, surely you can see that can't you? I'm sure we are still scouting many positions but the headline makes it sound like Pat was saying something more than he said.

Nothing personal bro. I got nothing against you at all.