Haynesworth Makes PERFECT SENSE

kyfalconfan

The media has been bashing Fat Albert for his standoff with the Redskins, but only Marshall Faulk had the insight to go against the grain and recognize Haynesworth for what he truly is (... well that too) -a smart (not really) Businessman who knows he won't last in D.C. anyway. Sadly- Faulk didn't do so until after Haynesworth Tweeted that he would report to Training Camp on time.

Put yourself in Albert's shoes & tell me you would not take the $21 million bonus, then try to force a trade.

His Logic goes like this:

I am a marginal player with a history of weight issues, a poor work ethic and a me first attitude. Jeff Fisher used me in a scheme that surrounded me with very good players and concealed my deficiencies and allowed me to have ONE breakout season that I used (like several other players) to fool Dan Snyder into overpaying for my services.

I was signed to play one position. Now but now Mike Shanahan actually expects me to act like a grown man, be a professional and make the adjustment to a different position. Who the heck is he to insist that I honor my contract and commit to learning the new system?

In a new system with players who may not be as good as good as the guys I played with in Nashville & who are also learning their new responsibilities my flaws will be exposed & laid bare for offensive coordinators around the league to exploit.

Everyone knows (except Dan Snyder) that I am unreliable and childish. After a season or two of pouting, complaining and distracting I will be labeled a free agent bust and released without coming anywhere close to collecting the value of my contract. Afterwhich- no team in the league will consider signing me for what I was scheduled to earn with the Skins.

Better to act like a jerk & force a trade NOW (with $21million of Snyder's cash already in the bank) to a team where I can be an adequate but overpaid player who doesn't have to work hard or commit to learning a new position.

If I was Fat Albert and had his baggage- I might consider pulling exactly the same stunt he tried. Albert knows without a trade- the Redskins would be in position to snatch back millions and cut him anyway should he choose not to report to Camp. Smart Guy to realize this and Twitter his intention to report.

Kudos to Coach Shanahan for calling his bluff & standing firm. Insubordination during the season can be met with suspensions and lost game checks amounting to much more than the $10,000 or so a player loses for holding out in camp. Albert knew he was holding a bad hand & Shanahan has been playing poker for far too long to be fooled.

Edited by kyfalconfan

He had one breakout season?

You weren't paying attention then.

Check his stats since he came into the League. Albert has always been a head case who was difficult to motivate. His best season by far was his last one in Tennessee. I don't usually agree with the talking heads, but everyone from ESPN to NFL Network questioned whether Albert would regress once he got his payday.

SOLO TACKLES- 2002-03= 21, '03-04= 21, '04-'05= 26, '05-'06= 36,

'06-'07= 23, '07-08= 32, '08-'09= 41, '09-10= 29

SACKS- 2002-03= 1 '03-04= 2.5, '04'05=1, '05-'06= 3, '06-'07=2,

'07-08= 6, '08-'09= 8.5, '09-10= 4

These aren't exactly Warren Sapp numbers. His '08 sack total is only one more than the total for his FIRST SIX YEARS in the LEAGUE. I'd say that equals a BREAK OUT YEAR. No one is questioning his potential. He was a high First Round Pick (#12) who has only recently started earning his Rookie Contract. Albert is clearly replacable and the Titans are just fine without him. Albert was handed than contract to MAKE PLAYS- not just free up other defenders. He knows he won't be a playmaker in the 3-4 and whats worse is that he is unwilling to adapt.

Edited by kyfalconfan

The idea of honoring a contract in the NFL is very weak. Teams release players on contract all the time and some players play well above what their contract salary is set at (such as Revis).

Haynesworth does have a poor attitude and I think everyone knew he played one hard year for a big contract that he knew he wouldn't get from the Titans. However, he is far from being the first person to gripe when a defense switches to the 3-4.

My honest opinion is that he just needs to stfu and play. He can play in the 3-4 and still make plays, but he'll have to actually work hard on a consistent basis to maintain the reputation he built with his breakout year. All he's done since his big payday is collect a check and complain.

My honest opinion is that he just needs to stfu and play. He can play in the 3-4 and still make plays, but he'll have to actually work hard on a consistent basis to maintain the reputation he built with his breakout year. All he's done since his big payday is collect a check and complain.

I agree.

The funny thing about it is that most of the guys in his position (talented but w/ bad work ethic,

bad attitude and behavior issues) all do the same dumb thing. They get a huge multi-million dollar contract, bank a large signing bonus, then they complain, sit out, get all the ESPN coverage of the off-season...

and then promptly lose said large contract and get shipped off to some basement team like the Raiders or Lions, never to be heard from again. :lol:

You think they would have learned by now.

100 million dollars is alot of darn money. Shut your mouth, play football for a few years and then retire to

some Grecian isle where the women outnumber the men 100-1. You can be an a-hole all you want after

you've earned that retirement.