Obama Administration Announces Massive Piracy Crackdown

Hatch

LMAOOOOOOO @:

"This is theft, clear and simple. It's smash and grab, no different than a guy walking down Fifth Avenue and smashing the window at Tiffany's and reaching in and grabbing what's in the window."

That is amazing. My 9 minute and 56 second file of Tool's Pushit is worth just as much as a window full of valuable jewels.

I'ma try to sell all my songs and see if I can retire.

LMAOOOOOOO @:

"This is theft, clear and simple. It's smash and grab, no different than a guy walking down Fifth Avenue and smashing the window at Tiffany's and reaching in and grabbing what's in the window."

That is amazing. My 9 minute and 56 second file of Tool's Pushit is worth just as much as a window full of valuable jewels.

I know, they rather ignore the problem with the cost war, with the oil, health care, yet focus on attacking pirates lol.

It's actually a legitimate problem for the economy. It might be hard to feel sorry for the artist themselves, but the piracy is affecting many more people who are just middle class folks trying to make it like most of us here on this board.

So the guy wins the youth vote by the biggest margin ever and this is how he repays them?

1 term

Well he'll probably retain the vote of all the young people who work either at a music store or video store, if they haven't all shut down by the time his election rolls around.

I give him props for this. The right move isn't always the popular move. I remember when Napster first started, and the argument for it was "this won't hurt music sales, it is just good free marketing".

Well, that turned out to be BS. Music sales are at all time lows and there is far more music being stolen on the internet than their is being purchased on the internet and in stores combined. They really do need to stop it to save the music industry.

Well he'll probably retain the vote of all the young people who work either at a music store or video store, if they haven't all shut down by the time his election rolls around.

I give him props for this. The right move isn't always the popular move. I remember when Napster first started, and the argument for it was "this won't hurt music sales, it is just good free marketing".

Well, that turned out to be BS. Music sales are at all time lows and there is far more music being stolen on the internet than their is being purchased on the internet and in stores combined. They really do need to stop it to save the music industry.

That has a lot to do with the poor quality of the product. You can watch movies free on the web and it hasn't hurt box office sales in the film industry. The business model for Blockbuster and the like was no longer a winner since Netflix and On Demand have more affordable and convinent options. So the video stores aren't coming back no matter what Obama does.

If you put out good music that people are interested in they will still buy it. Sade went gold in a week. Eminem and Drake both just released albums that are selling well. The problem is the music industry will copycat and try to release a million new Sades, Drakes and Eminem's and be suprised when people don't go to the store and support them.

Lack of originality is the music industries biggest problem.

I agree, I stopped pirating in 2007 after seeing how it could effect other ability to maintain an income to someone. I didn't like the idea of taking food off of someone's table. Great post Peyton, this should have came into action in 2002 before it's became something your grandparents can do.

LMAOOOOOOO @:

Count me in, ill throw in movies.

"Or raping the land and selling her natural resources and making huge profits from blood diamonds and slaughtered animal fur"

" oh...wait"

If you put out good music that people are interested in they will still buy it. Sade went gold in a week. Eminem and Drake both just released albums that are selling well. The problem is the music industry will copycat and try to release a million new Sades, Drakes and Eminem's and be suprised when people don't go to the store and support them.

Lack of originality is the music industries biggest problem.

All I know is that last week there were fewer album sales than any week in 40 years. Also, I saw where an estimated 95% of music acquired online is stolen. With approximately 30% of the actual purchased albums being bought online, that means there are 5-6 albums being stolen in this country for every 1 album that is purchased.

That seems wrong to me. Seems like something we should fix, no matter how bad the music is.

put out good music and movies.

music is mostly ***, and the people stealing it usually buy more than the people who do not pirate it.

movies are pure ***. half the movies ive seen this year i was wasting enough time just watching it, if i wasted 10 bucks on top of it, then i would have demanded my money back.

Make a good product and people will buy it even if they can get it for free.

em made good music and is on record to sell 600k records in the first week, even though the album has been out for download. im actually going to cop it myself.

Why pay for music when you can get it for free? We`re not stealing anything, its already out there and all we are doing is pointing and clicking. Its not like its actual work to produce music, why should they benefit from our hard earned cash. They should be thankful we actually want to listen to their music anyway.

see.. love em or hate em but jam bands like the dead or wsp are a great example.

they make a product. give it out for free. take it if you want. and if you love it you can come to the show..

you can download entire shows for free. and the band is cool with it.

they make their money ON THE ROAD.

see.. love em or hate em but jam bands like the dead or wsp are a great example.

they make a product. give it out for free. take it if you want. and if you love it you can come to the show..

you can download entire shows for free. and the band is cool with it.

they make their money ON THE ROAD.

seriously. bands make money doing tours. the internet has helped bands like MGMT and other groups, because it gets their music out faster, and if people really like it, then they will buy it at a later time.

They aren't going to stop it. It's a massive waste of time and money to try. Every time they shut down a big site (Napster, WinMX, BearShare, PirateBay), how many more torrent sites pop up and shoulder the extra load those sites lost? Even if they shut down half of these sites, it would just revert back to the old school days of buying bootleg disc to put on your computer.

They aren't going to stop it. It's a massive waste of time and money to try. Every time they shut down a big site (Napster, WinMX, BearShare, PirateBay), how many more torrent sites pop up and shoulder the extra load those sites lost? Even if they shut down half of these sites, it would just revert back to the old school days of buying bootleg disc to put on your computer.

TPB was down for a short amount of time.

they came right back up. still one of the top torrent sites.