US library to save recordings from Tupac, Cosby

Statick

US library to save recordings from Tupac, Cosby

Print E-mail By BRETT ZONGKER

The Associated Press

WASHINGTON — Rapper Tupac Shakur's song "Dear Mama," Bill Cosby's second comedy album and rare battle sounds from World War II are among 25 recordings the Library of Congress is preserving for their cultural significance.

Selections for the 2009 National Recording Registry are being announced Wednesday. They must be at least 10 years old and be culturally, historically or aesthetically significant.

The combination of Cosby — an outspoken critic of profanity and violence in hip-hop culture — with work from a rapper who was shot and killed in 1996 is notable, but organizers said Tupac's "Dear Mama" was a heartfelt homage to mothers struggling with addiction and poverty.

It's also a "relatively tame" recording, and the cultural impact of hip-hop is undeniable, program coordinator Steve Leggett said. Tupac is the third rapper inducted, following Grandmaster Flash (The Message) and Public Enemy (Fear of a Black Planet).

In announcing the registry, Librarian of Congress James Billington said the list "showcases the diverse beauty, humanity and artistry found in the American soundscape."

The new additions include performances by Little Richard, Willie Nelson, REM, Patti Smith and the 1923 recording "Canal Street Blues" by King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band for epitomizing the sound of New Orleans.

Organizers chose Cosby's second album, "I Started Out as a Child," over his first simply because they thought it was better overall, Leggett said.

The World War II recording is from the second Battle of Guam in which the U.S. forces retook the island from the Japanese.

Nominations come from a Library of Congress preservation board and online suggestions from the public. The selections for 2009 bring the registry's total to 300.

The 2009 additions to the registry in chronological order are:

— "Fon der Choope" (From the Wedding), Abe Elenkrig's Yidishe Orchestra (1913)

— "Canal Street Blues,"King Oliver's Creole Jazz Band (1923)

— "Tristan und Isolde," Metropolitan Opera, featuring Kirsten Flagstad and Lauritz Melchior, NBC Broadcast of March 9, 1935

— "When You Wish Upon a Star," Cliff Edwards (recorded, 1938; released, 1940)

— "America's Town Meeting of the Air: Should Our Ships Convoy Materials to England?"(May 8, 1941)

— The Library of Congress Marine Corps Combat Field Recording Collection, Second Battle of Guam (July 20 - August 11, 1944)

— "Evangeline Special" and "Love Bridge Waltz," Iry LeJeune (1948)

— "The Little Engine That Could," narrated by Paul Wing (1949)

— Leon Metcalf Collection of recordings of the First People of Western Washington State (1950-1954)

— "Tutti Frutti," Little Richard (1955)

— "Smokestack Lightning," Howlin' Wolf (1956)

— "Gypsy," original cast recording (1959)

— The Complete Village Vanguard Recordings, Bill Evans Trio (June 25, 1961)

— "Daisy Bell (Bicycle Built for Two)," Max Mathews (1961)

— "I Started Out As a Child," Bill Cosby (1964)

— "Azucar Pa Ti," Eddie Palmieri (1965)

— "Today!," Mississippi John Hurt (1966))

— "Silver Apples of the Moon," Morton Subotnick (1967)

— "Soul Folk in Action," The Staple Singers (1968)

— "The Band," The Band (1969)

— "Coal Miner's Daughter," Loretta Lynn (1970)

— "Red Headed Stranger," Willie Nelson (1975)

— "Horses," Patti Smith (1975)

— "Radio Free Europe" R.E.M. (1981))

— "Dear Mama," Tupac Shakur (1995)

So how long does Soulja Boy Tell'em have to wait?

Soulja Boy couldn't write an introspective dirty bathroom lyric if his life depended on it.

I really didn't care that much for Tupac when he was alive, but the guy could write some pretty deep stuff when he wasn't acting like an idiot half the time.

Soulja Boy couldn't write an introspective dirty bathroom lyric if his life depended on it.

I really didn't care that much for Tupac when he was alive, but the guy could write some pretty deep stuff when he wasn't acting like an idiot half the time.

The GoodWill store here just recently had a ton of laser discs donated.Mostly old movies but one was a collection of hundreds of things from the library of congress. Entertainment, speeches, you name it. I am thinking of buying it even tho I know the chances of ever finding a player is remote at best. Ya never know, tho. I did buy the sci fi classic " forbidden Planet" just for giggles.

I looked up the song to see if it should have been added

First verse:

When I was young me and my mama had beef

Seventeen years old kicked out on the streets

Though back at the time, I never thought I'd see her face

Ain't a woman alive that could take my mama's place

Suspended from school; and scared to go home, I was a fool

with the big boys, breakin all the rules

I shed tears with my baby sister

Over the years we was poorer than the other little kids

And even though we had different daddy's, the same drama

When things went wrong we'd blame mama

I reminice on the stress I caused, it was ****

Huggin on my mama from a jail cell

And who'd think in elementary?

Heeey! I see the penitentiary, one day

And runnin from the police, that's right

Mama catch me, put a whoopin to my backside

And even as a crack fiend, mama

You always was a black queen, mama

I finally understand

for a woman it ain't easy tryin to raise a man

You always was committed

A poor single mother on welfare, tell me how ya did it

There's no way I can pay you back

But the plan is to show you that I understand

You are appreciated

I take issue with the bold text, but once again a certain group seems intent on letting their dirtiest laundry dry in public. Only 15 years too, I guess the government isnt even trying to be subtle anymore.

I looked up the song

The fact that you had to look up the song and didn't know the words by heart automatically excludes you from being able to form any sort of reputable opinion on the subject whatsoever...

The fact that you had to look up the song and didn't know the words by heart automatically excludes you from being able to form any sort of reputable opinion on the subject whatsoever...

Yeah...My parents actually did something called parenting, and did not allow me to listen to artists who contributed to the african american genocide.

Edited by Julian St.Clor

Yeah...My parents actually did something called parenting, and did not allow me to listen to artists who contributed to the african american genocide.

No need to make excuses, dude... Just don't talk **** about stuff you know nothing about...

No need to make excuses, dude... Just don't talk **** about stuff you know nothing about...

No excuse at all.

Making Nursery Rhymes about breaking the law, and having a crack fiend for a mother, is good enough to be preserved in American history....Nice <_<

Its ok since its a love song to mother dearest though eh mate? -_-

No excuse at all.

Making Nursery Rhymes about breaking the law, and having a crack fiend for a mother, is good enough to be preserved in American history....Nice <_<

Its ok since its a love song to mother dearest though eh mate? -_-

:lol: can't argue with that. I remember when someone on here was bragging on Tupacs poetry " skills" and posted a poem about Van Gogh called starry night. Which was fine except it was pretty much a direct rip off of the song called, uuuhmmmm... Starry Starry night written by Don McClean way back in 1971.

:lol: can't argue with that. I remember when someone on here was bragging on Tupacs poetry " skills" and posted a poem about Van Gogh called starry night. Which was fine except it was pretty much a direct rip off of the song called, uuuhmmmm... Starry Starry night written by Don McClean way back in 1971.

Tupac said things that made them feel good; they are like women basically. Totally ignoring the east coast/west coast rap feud that led hundreds, if not thousands, of african americans to slaughter.

When generation X goes the way of the dodo bird this tupac worship will stop.

Edited by Julian St.Clor

Tupac said things that made them feel good; they are like women basically. Totally ignoring the east coast/west coast rap feud that led hundreds, if not thousands, of african americans to slaughter.

When generation X goes the way of the dodo bird this tupac worship will stop.

You know what Julian, I agree with you.

And we can all move on to bigger and better things...

soulja-boy-tell-em.jpg

nickelback-nickelback-642024_1024_768-1.jpg

justin.gif

Any kid of mine would have better taste than that, believe that. however I would rather a kid listen to people who don't glorify violence, stupid " beefs" and an idiotic lifestyle.

Tupac was an idiot because he was smarter than all that, but still let himself get caught up in his OWN BS.

There are thousands of great bands who never had to make their music into gang war material and still not sink to the level of those bands in your post.

Bieber.. eh, he's for kids and that is how he should be marketed. The other two just play to the lowest common denominator , and they sell millions, sadly.

But in the end, Tupac is no more genius than Soulja boy or Nickleback. And they are better by not having had people so caught up in their hype they started shooting each others dumb ###es. Thug life? He got it, it got him. No genius in getting killed.

I've never listened to anything, or watched anything, that's made me do anything that I find morally objectionable, or to even put my morals into question for that matter.

Which is also why I despise the "video games/rap music lead to violence" argument. No, stupid, easily impressionable people lead to violence. SMH.