WHat you didnt know about nintendo

I used to love playing videogames when I was much younger. I had a cheapo NIntendo system and all those simple little games.

Theres no way I could get into games today. Too complex with too many levels and storylines. I don't have the time to get into all that.I think the last system I ever owned was an Atari 2600. :P You ungrateful ####ers don't know how many times I saved you from Space Invaders tho. :angry:

LOL! I remember that cereal as a kid. It sucked majorly. I guess because it was made by some opportunistic fly-by-night "cereal" company called Ralston that really attempted to cash in on the video game craze way back when with a Donkey Kong cereal and a Donkey Kong Junior cereal. I'll bet little kids were bouncing off the walls because of all the sugar they pumped into that stuff.

However this cereal was surprisingly good. It was actually made by General Mills.2646971223_47c7936f2d.jpg

Don't know how Nintendo has flourished given some of the products they sell:

-remember Virtual Boy?

-the original Game Boy....one of the greatest jokes ever conceived on consumers(tiny screen...no color)

-a software line that rarely evolves beyond 20 year old icons Mario/Donkey Kong and Zelda/Link

-Wii...motion detection control is great, but the games are last generation and lame (cooking games)

LOL! I remember that cereal as a kid. It sucked majorly. I guess because it was made by some opportunistic fly-by-night "cereal" company called Ralston that really attempted to cash in on the video game craze way back when with a Donkey Kong cereal and a Donkey Kong Junior cereal. I'll bet little kids were bouncing off the walls because of all the sugar they pumped into that stuff.

However this cereal was surprisingly good. It was actually made by General Mills.2646971223_47c7936f2d.jpg

Believe it or not, Ralston wasn't exactly a fly by night company. Check this:

Ralston Purina COMPANY

Acquired Continental Baking Company in 1984, though that is now owned by Interstate Bakeries. Spun off Purina Mills, Inc. in 1986 (which is now owned by Land O'Lakes). Acquired Eveready in 1986, which it spun off as Energizer Holdings in 2000. Ralston Purina itself was acquired by Nestlé in 2001.

Now the company is just known as "Purina".

Believe it or not, Ralston wasn't exactly a fly by night company. Check this:

Ralston Purina COMPANY

Acquired Continental Baking Company in 1984, though that is now owned by Interstate Bakeries. Spun off Purina Mills, Inc. in 1986 (which is now owned by Land O'Lakes). Acquired Eveready in 1986, which it spun off as Energizer Holdings in 2000. Ralston Purina itself was acquired by Nestlé in 2001.

Now the company is just known as "Purina".

That explains why those cereals tasted like dog food.

Super Mario Bros. was a great series. I spent a good portion of my childhood trying to save Peach from the sinister Bowser. Just like poutlipper said though, Super Mario 64 was the last Mario game I got into. When I was a kid the Nintendo systems ruled (Sega Genesis was also huge). I realize they still sell more consoles than PS3 and Xbox 360 today, but I wish they wouldn't put all their focus on little kids. They could still make games that cater to kids, but also release the same types of games that Sony and Microsoft release. Being that I'm a very nostalgic person I'll always prefer my childhood items (NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64) to those of today. Plus, as the article above stated, the games were much harder, so you would play them for a longer period of time.

Edited by LSFalcon

Don't know how Nintendo has flourished given some of the products they sell:

-remember Virtual Boy?

-the original Game Boy....one of the greatest jokes ever conceived on consumers(tiny screen...no color)

-a software line that rarely evolves beyond 20 year old icons Mario/Donkey Kong and Zelda/Link

-Wii...motion detection control is great, but the games are last generation and lame (cooking games)

Apparently you missed this point.

The Game Boy? Looking back, yeah, it's a joke. At the time? It was beyond epic. It was revolutionary for video games. I remember being 10 years old playing the **** out out of BattleToads Christmas morning.

The Software line? I think the above shows just how well their 20 year old icons are doing.

The Wii isn't meant to be a next gen console. It's graphics are supposed to be as they are. It's made for casual gamers, and the sales show it's taken a huge share of the market.

Apparently you missed this point.

The Game Boy? Looking back, yeah, it's a joke. At the time? It was beyond epic. It was revolutionary for video games. I remember being 10 years old playing the **** out out of BattleToads Christmas morning.

The Software line? I think the above shows just how well their 20 year old icons are doing.

The Wii isn't meant to be a next gen console. It's graphics are supposed to be as they are. It's made for casual gamers, and the sales show it's taken a huge share of the market.

The Game Boy was never epic. The Atari Lynx and Sega Game Gear were vastly superior in every way, but the public saw "Nintendo" and jumped at it.

As for the software, Nintendo isn't selling steak, they are selling the sizzle which is why you see so many Wii games in the bargain bin a month after they are released.

Super Mario Bros. was a great series. I spent a good portion of my childhood trying to save Peach from the sinister Bowser. Just like poutlipper said though, Super Mario 64 was the last Mario game I got into. When I was a kid the Nintendo systems ruled (Sega Genesis was also huge). I realize they still sell more consoles than PS3 and Xbox 360 today, but I wish they wouldn't put all their focus on little kids. They could still make games that cater to kids, but also release the same types of games that Sony and Microsoft release. Being that I'm a very nostalgic person I'll always prefer my childhood items (NES, SNES, Sega Genesis, Nintendo 64) to those of today. Plus, as the article above stated, the games were much harder, so you would play them for a longer period of time.

I agree, I solved all the games up to WII, and got the Wii system got thru half of Mario Galaxy and got Super mario brothers the new one which is like a rehash of the old ones but with new boards and graphics, just can't get into it like I used to when I was a teenager. I think ADD sets into people once they pass the age of 35 they can stare at the WII box all day long and say, do I want to play it, nahh I do it tommorrow. :P

Funny thing is when your nephew or niece comes up with Super Mario bros the original on a gameboy, the handheld, I can't get thru this board. I was like let me try, I solved the whole game on that one man. It was hilarious, my nephew and niece couldn't believe I knew how to play video games. We'll when you play it straight for 3-4 years you kind of get good at it. :P

Edited by nativefalcon

I agree, I solved all the games up to WII, and got the Wii system got thru half of Mario Galaxy and got Super mario brothers the new one which is like a rehash of the old ones but with new boards and graphics, just can't get into it like I used to when I was a teenager. I think ADD sets into people once they pass the age of 35 they can stare at the WII box all day long and say, do I want to play it, nahh I do it tommorrow. :P

Funny thing is when your nephew or niece comes up with Super Mario bros the original on a gameboy, the handheld, I can't get thru this board. I was like let me try, I solved the whole game on that one man. It was hilarious, my nephew and niece couldn't believe I knew how to play video games. We'll when you play it straight for 3-4 years you kind of get good at it. :P

I got good at them the hard way.. at a video ardade. :P When you're spending your own quarters, you want that #### to last.

The Game Boy was never epic. The Atari Lynx and Sega Game Gear were vastly superior in every way, but the public saw "Nintendo" and jumped at it.

As for the software, Nintendo isn't selling steak, they are selling the sizzle which is why you see so many Wii games in the bargain bin a month after they are released.

I've never even heard of the Atari Lynx, as far as the Game Gear, yeah it was nice, color screen, no question. The Game Boy was the answer to hand held gaming though.

The Lynx was a great system for its time, but didn't have the buzz the Lame Boy had.

those other systems had great graphics and all, but game gear ate too many batteries and was too bulky, the lynx sucked at marketing and didnt have the 3rd party support that game boy had. basically what kept Game boy afloat was Pokemon and other Nintendo properties. Gameboy never had the best hardware (maybe until now with the 3Ds)so ultimately what made Gameboy successful was its numerous great games.

those other systems had great graphics and all, but game gear ate too many batteries and was too bulky, the lynx sucked at marketing and didnt have the 3rd party support that game boy had. basically what kept Game boy afloat was Pokemon and other Nintendo properties. Gameboy never had the best hardware (maybe until now with the 3Ds)so ultimately what made Gameboy successful was its numerous great games.

Yessir. The GameBoy got me through many a mid(night) shift during my navy days. It was easy to conceal and I could carry around 10-12 games on my person. Playing video games would make a 4 hour watch go by really fast. B)

Game Boy was easy on batteries because of the small, not back lit screen. The games were never great, but you had lots of choices at least.

The question is: would so many people have bought this if it didn't have the name Nintendo on it?