My Early Mock

hakim24

1. WR DeAndre Brown 6’6 231 Southern Miss Although all the hype goes to Green, Jones, Floyd, & Baldwin, DeAndre Brown probably has more potential than all of them. The two stats that really caught my attention was 21 TDs in only two seasons (missing two full games) and a career 16.7 YPC average which shows he is more than capable of making the big play.

2. CB Rashad Carmichael 5’11 190 Virginia Tech- If the Chris Houston-DeAngelo Hall tandem had worked out, our secondary had the potential to be great. I think we try again this year with Robinson by adding a top CB in the top two rounds. Carmichael collected 6 picks last year.

3. OT Orlando Franklin 6’7 318 Miami- Franklin is a versatile player who looks like he could play either LT, RT or G at the next level. We need some insurance if we lose Clabo next year.

4. Graig Cooper 6’0 205 Miami- Cooper is really in that Chris Johnson type mold imo. He isn’t the biggest guy, but he has a very good all-around game (blocking/receiving/KR&PR) and blazing speed. The only reason why he won’t be a top pick is because he partially tore his ACL in their bowl game last year and probably won’t be 100% this year.

5. PR/KR Phillip Livas 5’8 175 Louisiana Tech - The one thing that we are missing on our team is that deadly returner. Livas is one of the most electric players in college football.

1. WR DeAndre Brown 6’6 231 Southern Miss Although all the hype goes to Green, Jones, Floyd, & Baldwin, DeAndre Brown probably has more potential than all of them. The two stats that really caught my attention was 21 TDs in only two seasons (missing two full games) and a career 16.7 YPC average which shows he is more than capable of making the big play.

I like DeAndre Brown... I think he is an early 2nd round pick right now but since i think we will pick at the end of each round... This is not a reach.... Also.. If Bey Bey went in the 1st round... DeAndre Brown can definitely be a late 1st rounder last year.

2. CB Rashad Carmichael 5’11 190 Virginia Tech- If the Chris Houston-DeAngelo Hall tandem had worked out, our secondary had the potential to be great. I think we try again this year with Robinson by adding a top CB in the top two rounds. Carmichael collected 6 picks last year.

Love this dude swag, toughness, and ball skills ...Rashad Carmichael can became a good starting CB.

3. OT Orlando Franklin 6’7 318 Miami- Franklin is a versatile player who looks like he could play either LT, RT or G at the next level. We need some insurance if we lose Clabo next year.

Big fan of Orlando Franklin.. Dude moves the pile in the run game and has good feet in pass protection

4. Graig Cooper 6’0 205 Miami- Cooper is really in that Chris Johnson type mold imo. He isn’t the biggest guy, but he has a very good all-around game (blocking/receiving/KR&PR) and blazing speed. The only reason why he won’t be a top pick is because he partially tore his ACL in their bowl game last year and probably won’t be 100% this year.

I think this is a value pick... Healthy.. This guy is eletric....

5. PR/KR Phillip Livas 5’8 175 Louisiana Tech - The one thing that we are missing on our team is that deadly returner. Livas is one of the most electric players in college football.

If we get Cooper (who can return kicks) .... I wouldnt draft Livas.

If the drafted fell like that... I would be very happy with our picks... I think we will take a DE win the first four picks but i like this draft.

If the drafted fell like that... I would be very happy with our picks... I think we will take a DE win the first four picks but i like this draft.

I still kind of have my mind set on the fact that we will probably look to add a DE via Free Agency. If Abe doesn't return for some reason, we would seriously be lacking starting experience at DE.

I still kind of have my mind set on the fact that we will probably look to add a DE via Free Agency. If Abe doesn't return for some reason, we would seriously be lacking starting experience at DE.

Yea.. I thought about that also.... I was also thinking about if Biermann buerst out with a 8 or 9 sack year this year... After this year Kroy would be going into his last year... So we will most likely extend his contract.... So would we also sign a FA who is going to get a good size contract.

I think us signing a DE in FA depends on how Abe, Kroy , and Sid plays.... If we get production out of our DE's... I still see us drafting a DE because Abe is going into his last year.

I can see us signing a FA DE tho.... I dont think they will command big $ (around 7 million) but they have what it takes to produce big

I havent seen Carmichael play but I am scared of CB from VT. Our past CB draft picks from there were busts IMO D.Hall will never play up to the level that he has hyped his own head up to. And Jimmy Williams who we drafted as a corner and switched to safety is an irrelevant player in the league (is he even on a team). If we go after this kid I hope TD does a lot of homework and sees he has good character and a great work ethic.

Yea.. I thought about that also.... I was also thinking about if Biermann buerst out with a 8 or 9 sack year this year... After this year Kroy would be going into his last year... So we will most likely extend his contract.... So would we also sign a FA who is going to get a good size contract.

I think us signing a DE in FA depends on how Abe, Kroy , and Sid plays.... If we get production out of our DE's... I still see us drafting a DE because Abe is going into his last year.

I can see us signing a FA DE tho.... I dont think they will command big $ (around 7 million) but they have what it takes to produce big

If Kroy breaks out, I still don't think he will get a huge contract simply because he hasn't done it consistently yet. He might get a contract similar to Chauncey Davis.

Honestly, I think adding a proven DE is definitely in the plans no matter what happens next year. The only way that I see us drafting another DE is if Kroy and Sid just absolutely turn into beasts next year. If not, we are going to need that proven veteran guy who can immediately produce.....especially when Abe is gone.

The other thing is that the stars are aligned just right. There are some really good DEs that could hit the market next year.

I havent seen Carmichael play but I am scared of CB from VT. Our past CB draft picks from there were busts IMO D.Hall will never play up to the level that he has hyped his own head up to. And Jimmy Williams who we drafted as a corner and switched to safety is an irrelevant player in the league (is he even on a team). If we go after this kid I hope TD does a lot of homework and sees he has good character and a great work ethic.

Totally different player and person than those two.

Carmichael is a stud. He will go early 2nd. He is a film junkie and does work in the community. Good character.

I'm a big fan of Davon House too. I think they are neck and neck. A lot of people are high on Curtis Brown as a

2nd rounder too. I like him but I like House and Carmichael better. Brown is like this years Kareem Jackson in the

way he has already been projected a 2nd rounder. B4 it's over he might move up to late 1st. But I'd rather have

Carmichael or House.

In two of the deepest and most competitive position we have on the team, why are we picking 1st and 2nd rounds? Don't we draft based off of biggest need vs bpa. Where all those people who believed DE was the biggest need prior to the draft? Like atljbo said I believe we will address DE position in the 1st round and I don't think it has anything to do with Sid or Biermann. We are attempt to duplicate the Giants dline we have two pass rushing DE in Abe & Biermann, and potentially a third in Sid. Does anyone think Davis and JA98 will be more than what they have proven, an avg of 2.5 between the two? Not to mention Abe next year will be entering his finally year under contract.

In two of the deepest and most competitive position we have on the team, why are we picking 1st and 2nd rounds? Don't we draft based off of biggest need vs bpa. Where all those people who believed DE was the biggest need prior to the draft? Like atljbo said I believe we will address DE position in the 1st round and I don't think it has anything to do with Sid or Biermann. We are attempt to duplicate the Giants dline we have two pass rushing DE in Abe & Biermann, and potentially a third in Sid. Does anyone think Davis and JA98 will be more than what they have proven, an avg of 2.5 between the two? Not to mention Abe next year will be entering his finally year under contract.

I am glad we got spoon... Spoon is one of the guys we target... But i honestly think Derrick Morgan or Brandon Graham was 1 and 1a... Even Spoon said he think it was between he and Derrick Morgan (in a article)... So everybody who thought we would target a DE in this draft (DE was our biggest need)... They was right... The DE's just didnt make it to us that we target... TD is not going to just draft a DE to just draft one... It has to be a guy he likes... Since the DE position was gone... LB was the next biggest need.

I am glad we got spoon... Spoon is one of the guys we target... But i honestly think Derrick Morgan or Brandon Graham was 1 and 1a... Even Spoon said he think it was between he and Derrick Morgan (in a article)... So everybody who thought we would target a DE in this draft (DE was our biggest need)... They was right... The DE's just didnt make it to us that we target... TD is not going to just draft a DE to just draft one... It has to be a guy he likes... Since the DE position was gone... LB was the next biggest need.

Again that is where we disagree, everything leading up to the draft and tells me that we got the guy we targeted the whole time. But I am not here to split hairs at this point because it is irrelevant, I am obviously happy with the decision as it was my choice the whole time. But getting back to the this draft my are so many people many of whom were in favor of drafting a DE in this years draft looking to draft in other position for the sake of saying we have the best... (WR or CB duo) in the league. Our biggest issue was the secondary not only did we have upgrade one of the CB spots we have young talent players who will develop in solid #2. We might have the best safety tandem in the next couple of years what else is their to upgrade?

Look at the WR position regardless of what everyone thinks about Jenkins statistically he is one of the best #2 in the league. We have also have a nice young core of prospects that my end up being very underrated (Meier, Harvey and Douglas).

Again that is where we disagree, everything leading up to the draft and tells me that we got the guy we targeted the whole time. But I am not here to split hairs at this point because it is irrelevant, I am obviously happy with the decision as it was my choice the whole time. But getting back to the this draft my are so many people many of whom were in favor of drafting a DE in this years draft looking to draft in other position for the sake of saying we have the best... (WR or CB duo) in the league. Our biggest issue was the secondary not only did we have upgrade one of the CB spots we have young talent players who will develop in solid #2. We might have the best safety tandem in the next couple of years what else is their to upgrade?

Look at the WR position regardless of what everyone thinks about Jenkins statistically he is one of the best #2 in the league. We have also have a nice young core of prospects that my end up being very underrated (Meier, Harvey and Douglas).

First of all, I was never in favor of a 1st round DE. I always was an avid supporter of Weatherspoon.

The reason why my draft worked out this way was because we have room to do it this year. We really don't have any glaring needs at this point.

Jenkins isn't a guy who takes advantage of seeing mostly single coverage. His YAC is terrible, he drops key passes and plays like a 5'9 guy. He also is extremely weak in the redzone (1 TD). Anybody could make a few catches. He just does not have the effect on the game that he should.

None of those other guys have starting potential imo.

CB is just a very important position. We have some decent guys, but we are going to quickly find out how good they are especially now that there is a legitimate CB opposite them. There are going to see a LOT of balls thrown their way and honestly, I am not extremely confident that any of those guys could handle it.

First of all, I was never in favor of a 1st round DE. I always was an avid supporter of Weatherspoon.

The reason why my draft worked out this way was because we have room to do it this year. We really don't have any glaring needs at this point.

Jenkins isn't a guy who takes advantage of seeing mostly single coverage. His YAC is terrible, he drops key passes and plays like a 5'9 guy. He also is extremely weak in the redzone (1 TD). Anybody could make a few catches. He just does not have the effect on the game that he should.

None of those other guys have starting potential imo.

CB is just a very important position. We have some decent guys, but we are going to quickly find out how good they are especially now that there is a legitimate CB opposite them. There are going to see a LOT of balls thrown their way and honestly, I am not extremely confident that any of those guys could handle it.

So the addition of of a sure handed rookie in Meier and the fact that Douglas will be back has no barring on your decision?

If you were to look at the groups as a whole which one would you say is the weakest.

WR (White, Jenkins, Douglas, Weems, Meier and Harvey/Wolfe)

CB (Robinson, Grimes, Owens, Franks and Jackson/Willams)

DE (Abe, Biermann, Sidbury, Davis & JA98)

Thats the thing.. If you are picking 19.. you cant target 1 player... TD does it the right way.. He said he targeted 5 guys he really liked.... If you listen to some of his post draft interviews... He mention that the DE's being off the board made the Spoon pick easier.... From what i was hearing.. i have no doubt that D.Morgan was #1 on our board but it doesnt matter because Spoon is one of the guys we target at 19... Dude will be an special LB.

I also think we will upgrade over Jenkins... I dont think TD tried to get Anquin Boldin for no reason....Jenkins would have to have an outstanding this year to change TD's mind.... For what its worth.. During the season Peter King was in 790 the zone... King said he heard that TD was not happy with Jenkins play and he see us drafting an early round WR this year (2010 draft)or next year (2011 draft)

So the addition of of a sure handed rookie in Meier and the fact that Douglas will be back has no barring on your decision?

If you were to look at the groups as a whole which one would you say is the weakest.

I don't think you can just look at your weakest position. I know TD drafts by needs first, but if the QUALITY of

player is not there at your NEED, then you have to go with the next best position of need. Case and point with

Morgan and Graham gone then we had no choice but to get Spoon. We NEEDED a OLB. I see the same thing this year.

I think they are counting on Kroy to be the answer. If he isn't then I really think we will get a vet in FA. We

may still draft one later but I don't see a DE in this class worth a 1st rd pick except Quinn and Clayborn. And

you know they will go early. Once again you have to look at the QUALITY of the player at each position.

So I think another position would be WR. Everybody knows we need a legit #2. Let's just keep it 100. But a 1st rd

WR is a HUGE gamble. And since we are so big on character, you can eliminate Baldwin and Floyd. That leaves the

other 2 Green and Jones who won't be there probably when we pick. So I would eliminate the WR position in the 1st.

Next you have a possibility of OT. I think we have 2 future starters in Hawley and Johnson. And I really believe

they are looking for Reynolds to eventually take over at RT. Especially since he is one of their draft picks. And

once again the QUALITY of players at OT I think are not NFL ready from day 1 like this past class. I think we can

still get a solid OT in the 3rd round.

And then at TE it's only 1 legit one and that's Rudolph. So that's like winning the lottery.

That brings us to CB. A position right now without a set starter. Unless one of these guys are just lights out this year(and time will tell) I think this is the position you have to target in the 1st. IMO there are only 3

1st rd CB's. Peterson, Williams, and Amukamara. As bad as I want Williams I don't think he will be there when we

pick. But there is another possibility that's growing on me and that's Curtis Brown. I think he has that Kareem

Jackson thing going on and come draft time he will be a late 1st rd pick. If we can't get the #1 TX CB, why not

get the next best. I think he is still an upgrade over the other CB's we have now. But we will see how the others

do this year. If nobody claims that spot I think we could be looking at possibly Curtis Brown in the 1st.

I don't think you can just look at your weakest position. I know TD drafts by needs first, but if the QUALITY of

player is not there at your NEED, then you have to go with the next best position of need. Case and point with

Morgan and Graham gone then we had no choice but to get Spoon. We NEEDED a OLB. I see the same thing this year.

I think they are counting on Kroy to be the answer. If he isn't then I really think we will get a vet in FA. We

may still draft one later but I don't see a DE in this class worth a 1st rd pick except Quinn and Clayborn. And

you know they will go early. Once again you have to look at the QUALITY of the player at each position.

So I think another position would be WR. Everybody knows we need a legit #2. Let's just keep it 100. But a 1st rd

WR is a HUGE gamble. And since we are so big on character, you can eliminate Baldwin and Floyd. That leaves the

other 2 Green and Jones who won't be there probably when we pick. So I would eliminate the WR position in the 1st.

Next you have a possibility of OT. I think we have 2 future starters in Hawley and Johnson. And I really believe

they are looking for Reynolds to eventually take over at RT. Especially since he is one of their draft picks. And

once again the QUALITY of players at OT I think are not NFL ready from day 1 like this past class. I think we can

And then at TE it's only 1 legit one and that's Rudolph. So that's like winning the lottery.

That brings us to CB. A position right now without a set starter. Unless one of these guys are just lights out this year(and time will tell) I think this is the position you have to target in the 1st. IMO there are only 3

1st rd CB's. Peterson, Williams, and Amukamara. As bad as I want Williams I don't think he will be there when we

pick. But there is another possibility that's growing on me and that's Curtis Brown. I think he has that Kareem

Jackson thing going on and come draft time he will be a late 1st rd pick. If we can't get the #1 TX CB, why not

get the next best. I think he is still an upgrade over the other CB's we have now. But we will see how the others

do this year. If nobody claims that spot I think we could be looking at possibly Curtis Brown in the 1st.

1. I agree that Baldwin and Floyd is off our board... I also agree that i dont think WR will be our 1st round pick... I think We will spend our 2nd or 3rd round pick on WR.

2. I read some where that Reynolds was lined up as the 2nd team RG in OTA's or Mini-Camps ... I think we will use Garrett Reynolds as a backup swing tackle which is very important (remember Todd Weiner in 08) ... I think we will look for a RT that can step in day 1 and start... So i can see us drafting a 1st round RT.

3. I can see Rudolph falling into the 2nd half of the 1st round... The last 2 highest rated TE's the last 2 drafts did (20 and i think 22) ... Allot of good TE's were taken this year... I can see Rudolph falling.

4. I get the CB thing... If you look at teams like the Bengals or the Cowboys... They basically have 2 #1 CB's .. Thats nice to have.. I cant call CB a need yet until i see what Owens and Grimes can do... If we draft a 1st round C B i want dude to have the height-weight-speed thing going on with the skills and production... Besides the big 3 (Peterson, Williams, and Amukamara) I dont see a CB that is worth a 1st round pick.... Like you said.. TD draft for need AND quality/value.... Something TD said... It was something like "Besides the 1st CB in this years draft.. No one separate themselves as a #1 CB" ... Thats why we went after Dunta Robinson... I think he felt the same way about the DE position (Derrick Morgan and Graham)

Its allot of 2nd/early 3rd round CBs i like.. But first... Chris Owens has to prove that he cant be a #2 CB.

Yes. Those guys are nice role players. Douglas is a perfect fit in the slot, but I think he would be a miscast on the outside. Meier is Brian Finneran 2.0 imo. I just belive he would have problems getting separation against CBs consistently. Basically, he will come in on 3rd downs and make some grabs.

I said it before, I think we need to replace Abe with a proven DE who can instantly contribute. If we make a splash in FA next year, that is where I expect it to be.

Yes. Those guys are nice role players. Douglas is a perfect fit in the slot, but I think he would be a miscast on the outside. Meier is Brian Finneran 2.0 imo. I just belive he would have problems getting separation against CBs consistently. Basically, he will come in on 3rd downs and make some grabs.

I said it before, I think we need to replace Abe with a proven DE who can instantly contribute. If we make a splash in FA next year, that is where I expect it to be.

1. I agree that Baldwin and Floyd is off our board... I also agree that i dont think WR will be our 1st round pick... I think We will spend our 2nd or 3rd round pick on WR.

2. I read some where that Reynolds was lined up as the 2nd team RG in OTA's or Mini-Camps ... I think we will use Garrett Reynolds as a backup swing tackle which is very important (remember Todd Weiner in 08) ... I think we will look for a RT that can step in day 1 and start... So i can see us drafting a 1st round RT.

3. I can see Rudolph falling into the 2nd half of the 1st round... The last 2 highest rated TE's the last 2 drafts did (20 and i think 22) ... Allot of good TE's were taken this year... I can see Rudolph falling.

4. I get the CB thing... If you look at teams like the Bengals or the Cowboys... They basically have 2 #1 CB's .. Thats nice to have.. I cant call CB a need yet until i see what Owens and Grimes can do... If we draft a 1st round C B i want dude to have the height-weight-speed thing going on with the skills and production... Besides the big 3 (Peterson, Williams, and Amukamara) I dont see a CB that is worth a 1st round pick.... Like you said.. TD draft for need AND quality/value.... Something TD said... It was something like "Besides the 1st CB in this years draft.. No one separate themselves as a #1 CB" ... Thats why we went after Dunta Robinson... I think he felt the same way about the DE position (Derrick Morgan and Graham)

Its allot of 2nd/early 3rd round CBs i like.. But first... Chris Owens has to prove that he cant be a #2 CB.

I think we could get either OT or CB. And CB depends on who steps up this year. But I really don't see any other

positions. But the best OT in the 1st IMO is Reynolds. I would gladly take Love or Sherrod in the 3rd.

Why is Floyd and Baldwin off our Board? People have said character issues, but what specifically did they do?

June 22, 2010

Senior DL Sam Acho, senior CB Curtis Brown and junior CB Aaron Williams have been named to the watch list for the 2010 Nagurski Trophy, honoring the nation’s top defensive player, the Charlotte Touchdown Club has announced.

Brown has appeared in 40 games and has started 18 of the last 20 games at cornerback. He earned honorable mention All-America honors from Pro Football Weekly in 2009 and was an honorable mention All-Big 12 selection. During his career, Brown has compiled 94 tackles (69 solo), an INT, which he returned 77 yards for a TD, 25 PBU, two TFL, a forced fumble and a blocked punt.

Last season, Brown started all 14 games, posting 53 tackles (34 solo), an INT, which he returned for a TD, 15 PBU, two TFL, a forced fumble and a blocked punt. His 16 passes defended tied for 19th nationally and his 15 PBU ranked second on the team. Also a member of all of Texas’ special-teams units except PAT and FG, Brown posted 15 special-teams tackles, which is the most at UT since 2003. He helped UT rank 12th nationally in scoring defense (16.7 ppg), third in total defense (251.9 ypg), first in rushing defense (72.4 ypg), 10th in pass efficiency defense (100.5 rating) and 19th in pass defense (179.6 ypg). UT also ranked first nationally in INTs (25) and tied for first in forced turnovers (37).

Williams has appeared in 26 games, including 14 starts, posting 60 tackles (34 solo), two sacks, seven TFL, three pressures, four INTs, 11 PBU, three forced fumbles, a fumble recovery and four blocked punts (T-No. 2 on UT’s all-time list).

Last season, Williams started 13 games, missing the UCF game due to a leg injury. He tallied 44 tackles (25 solo), two sacks, six TFL, three pressures, three INTs, eight PBU and two forced fumbles. Against UT’s four Top 25 opponents, Williams recorded 11 tackles, two INTs, three PBU and a sack. He helped UT rank 12th nationally in scoring defense (16.7 ppg), third in total defense (251.9 ypg), first in rushing defense (72.4 ypg), 10th in pass efficiency defense (100.5 rating) and 19th in pass defense (179.6 ypg). UT also ranked first nationally in INTs (25) and tied for first in forced turnovers (37).

http://www.mackbrown-texasfootball.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062210aab.html

Do you see Abe having a down year again ?

I would love to sign Mathias Kiwanuka,Ray Edwards (not sure about) , or Brian Robison (i think he can be a good DE)

I Abe gives us a 10+ sack season and Kroy give us a 8+ sack season... I think we will just draft a DE .. We will have Abe on contract for 1 more year.... A young guy can play in a rotation while being groomed as Abe replacement....

It all depends on how ourDE's play.

Do you see Abe having a down year again ?

I would love to sign Mathias Kiwanuka,Ray Edwards (not sure about) , or Brian Robison (i think he can be a good DE)

I Abe gives us a 10+ sack season and Kroy give us a 8+ sack season... I think we will just draft a DE .. We will have Abe on contract for 1 more year.... A young guy can play in a rotation while being groomed as Abe replacement....

It all depends on how ourDE's play.

I really don't know how Abe will play this season. I think his age and injuries might have caught up to him. That is why I think it would be so important to add a veteran presence. This is especially considering that both Abe's and Gonzo's contracts will both be off the books in the next two years.

The Giants just drafted another DE so Kiwanuka looks like he could be on his way out. The Vikings are probably going to have to choose between Edwards and Robison. I really like Edwards after watching him more. He hasn't racked up a bunch of sacks, but he is great at getting pressure on the QB.

Either way, all of these guys will probably get between 5-8 Mil a year.... very manageable imo.

Maybe I am putting too much stock into Sidbury, but what DE is going to have better triangle numbers than him? They may have better technique coming out of college than what he had, but physically, he is a 1st round talent. And he now has 2 years under his belt. The most important thing is for him to reach that potential.

It just seems like Overkill to draft another guy and repeat that developmental process again....especially when we are trying to take the two guys that we already have to the next level. They need those snaps.

We don't have a set start not because we don't have talent it is because we have competition which is a good thing. We had set starters when we drafted Spoon. Our problem last in the secondary has been address with the signing of Robinson, maturing of Owens and DeCoud and hopeful the return of Moore. And we do draft based on the weakest group in earlier rounds. If we don't explain Ryans 08, Jerry 09, Moore 09 and Spoon 10.

I don't see how you guys can watch the process take place and still have the idea that Spoon was our second choice. We shown interest in him the earliest and the most often, we did start showing interest in a DE until a month prior to the draft. But that time TD had already been on record saying that they were not looking for a DE to generate pass rush rather a DT. And look his first to picks were OLB and DT he did exactly what he said he was going to do.

Another reason I know we are drafting a DE at least in earlier rounds, 08 our two biggest needs QB and DT we draft QB first round don't draft a DT in the entire draft. 09 our biggest needs DT and OLB again draft DT first round don't draft an OLB entire draft. 10 two biggest needs OLB and DE draft OLB in first and don't draft a DE in the entire draft. That my friends is a pattern no two ways about it.