Greer and Porter chosen 3rd best corner duo by NFL scouts

nolafan33

http://www.dailycomet.com/article/20100620/OPINION01/100619091?p=1&tc=pg

“I talked to some coaches with the Saints, and even they are surprised just how good Jabari Greer has turned out, but Tracy Porter was someone every member of our defensive coaching staff lobbied for early in the 2008 draft and our director of college scouting wanted him also,” the NFC defensive coordinator said. “We have a general manager who has never worn a pair of shoulder pads in his life and he was in love with a player that will never start for us. The guy is a ‘money’ man and he picked someone that was rated much lower on our board because a friend of his at a college was pushing his kid. When you pick someone this early in round two you better not go off the draft grades, but this general manager has no clue of a draft rating. Because of that Tracy Porter is going to be a Pro Bowler and we are stuck with a second-string player. I was excited for the Saints when they won the Super Bowl over the Colts, but it made me almost sick to watch Porter make the game-winning play. He could have been on our squad.”

Seems reasonable.

Hall and Joseph are studs, Revis makes up for Cromartie's ineptitude against the run, and then the Saints.

Porter isn't great against the run though he isn't as bad as Cromartie. Who would have thought after 2008 that the Saints could be in this position - hopeful for the Falcons next year...

Considering how little pass rush they get I like Kansas City's corners (Flowers and Carr), and staying in the south Marshall and Gamble aren't bad.

I'm hoping for Atlanta that cornerback will still be our weakest spot on D this year - as given the upgrades we have made there if that's our weakest place we'll be set pretty fair with our front 7. Robinson should prove a substantial upgrade and Grimes can be a ballhawk. Where I am far happier this year is with the depth - there's five guys I wouldn't be unhappy to see on the field this year.

Seems reasonable.

Hall and Joseph are studs, Revis makes up for Cromartie's ineptitude against the run, and then the Saints.

Porter isn't great against the run though he isn't as bad as Cromartie. Who would have thought after 2008 that the Saints could be in this position - hopeful for the Falcons next year...

Considering how little pass rush they get I like Kansas City's corners (Flowers and Carr), and staying in the south Marshall and Gamble aren't bad.

I'm hoping for Atlanta that cornerback will still be our weakest spot on D this year - as given the upgrades we have made there if that's our weakest place we'll be set pretty fair with our front 7. Robinson should prove a substantial upgrade and Grimes can be a ballhawk. Where I am far happier this year is with the depth - there's five guys I wouldn't be unhappy to see on the field this year.

I don't think people realize how great the duo of Hall and Joseph are. Like you said, they're studs.

I am curious to know which team this DC works for. I am sure it could be narrowed down based on a few factors.

It is 1 of 16 teams in the NFC...

We know it wasn't the Saints. So scratch them off. That's 15.

A list of all NFC players drafted between picks 1-40. That removes the Eagles and the Vikings.

49ers - Kentwan Balmer and Chilo Rachal

Bears - Chris Williams

Bucaneers - Aqib Talib

Cardinals - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Cowboys - Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins

Falcons - Matt Ryan, Sam Baker, and Curtis Lofton

Giants - Kenny Phillips

Lions - Gosder Cherilus

Panthers - Jonathan Stewart and Jeff Otah

Packers - Jordy Nelson

Rams - Chris Long and Donnie Avery

Redskins - Devin Thomas

Seahawks - Lawrence Jackson and John Carlson

Now we have to look at players who have made little impact or starts for their team so far that had picks before Porter.

49ers - Kentwan Balmer made has no starts. Chilo Rachal started 15 last year

Bears - Williams has been their starting RT for a while.

Bucaneers - Aqib Talib has been great

Cardinals - DMC has been good too.

Cowboys - Both of their guys have been great

Falcons - All 3 are starters.

Giants - Kenny Phillips started only 2 games in 09. Hasn't been good.

Lions - Gosder is their starting LT.

Panthers - Otah and Stewart have been great.

Packers - Jordy Nelson has 2 starts, not all that impressive.

Rams - Long and Avery have seen extensive play time

Redskins - Thomas has seen limited action for the Skins, but only as a back-up.

Seahawks - Jackson has seen extensive play time, as has Carlson.

So that leaves the 49ers, Giants, Packers, and the Redskins.

Let's look at the GMs.

The 49ers are possible here. They recently fired their GM though, and the DC used present tense language in the description of the GM. We "have" a GM, not we "had" a GM. Possible, but unlikely.

The Giants could be the one. Reese has no NFL experience and is pretty young. It is possible here.

The Packers cannot be it. Thompson has experience playing in the NFL, and he has drafted pretty well over the years regardless.

The Redskins can't be it either. Bruce Allen has NFL experience with the Colts back in 82.

So that leaves the Giants and the 49ers.

Here's the problem though...

Perry Fewell, the DC of the Giants, didn't join the team until 2010. He wasn't around in 2008.

Greg Manusky of the 49ers has been with them since 2007 at DC.

If he didn't use the present tense description of the GM, it would make more sense.

It is probably Greg who said it, but do to not knowing when this quote was made, I can hardly say for sure.

I am curious to know which team this DC works for. I am sure it could be narrowed down based on a few factors.

It is 1 of 16 teams in the NFC...

We know it wasn't the Saints. So scratch them off. That's 15.

A list of all NFC players drafted between picks 1-40. That removes the Eagles and the Vikings.

49ers - Kentwan Balmer and Chilo Rachal

Bears - Chris Williams

Bucaneers - Aqib Talib

Cardinals - Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie

Cowboys - Felix Jones and Mike Jenkins

Falcons - Matt Ryan, Sam Baker, and Curtis Lofton

Giants - Kenny Phillips

Lions - Gosder Cherilus

Panthers - Jonathan Stewart and Jeff Otah

Packers - Jordy Nelson

Rams - Chris Long and Donnie Avery

Redskins - Devin Thomas

Seahawks - Lawrence Jackson and John Carlson

Now we have to look at players who have made little impact or starts for their team so far that had picks before Porter.

49ers - Kentwan Balmer made has no starts. Chilo Rachal started 15 last year

Bears - Williams has been their starting RT for a while.

Bucaneers - Aqib Talib has been great

Cardinals - DMC has been good too.

Cowboys - Both of their guys have been great

Falcons - All 3 are starters.

Giants - Kenny Phillips started only 2 games in 09. Hasn't been good.

Lions - Gosder is their starting LT.

Panthers - Otah and Stewart have been great.

Packers - Jordy Nelson has 2 starts, not all that impressive.

Rams - Long and Avery have seen extensive play time

Redskins - Thomas has seen limited action for the Skins, but only as a back-up.

Seahawks - Jackson has seen extensive play time, as has Carlson.

So that leaves the 49ers, Giants, Packers, and the Redskins.

Let's look at the GMs.

The 49ers are possible here. They recently fired their GM though, and the DC used present tense language in the description of the GM. We "have" a GM, not we "had" a GM. Possible, but unlikely.

The Giants could be the one. Reese has no NFL experience and is pretty young. It is possible here.

The Packers cannot be it. Thompson has experience playing in the NFL, and he has drafted pretty well over the years regardless.

The Redskins can't be it either. Bruce Allen has NFL experience with the Colts back in 82.

So that leaves the Giants and the 49ers.

Here's the problem though...

Perry Fewell, the DC of the Giants, didn't join the team until 2010. He wasn't around in 2008.

Greg Manusky of the 49ers has been with them since 2007 at DC.

If he didn't use the present tense description of the GM, it would make more sense.

It is probably Greg who said it, but do to not knowing when this quote was made, I can hardly say for sure.

I think it was Jum Haslett...

Also wish they could stay healthy all year and not miss each a 7 games!!

So I guess Matty Ice will not be able to throw against them? biggrin.gif

We will just have to ram the ball down their porous run defense! biggrin.gif

He definetly didn't show that ability last season...laugh.gif

19-42, 45.2% complete, 289 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT, 3 sacks, QB rating of 46.6

Worst game of the season?

He definetly didn't show that ability last season...laugh.gif

19-42, 45.2% complete, 289 yards, 1 TD, 3 INT, 3 sacks, QB rating of 46.6

Worst game of the season?

One INT was from a Hail Mary, the other from a freakish tipped pass by Vilma. Let's not forget the amount of calls/noncalls you guys got away with in those games.

which doesn't get called when the defender is looking back for the ball

Officiating 101

actually no you cna NOT impede progress no matter if looking at ball or not.

corners get called all the time for the "arm bar" even though they are looking at the ball.

corners get called all the time for the "arm bar" even though they are looking at the ball.

my guess is that the officials said that it looked mutual

So you admit that the Brent Grimes play WAS an interference? He certaintly "impeded progress" from Meachems route. Dude drove him 10 yards in the opposite direction.

Seems like we came out on top both times... :D

i seem to recall you all losing the game last year which is all that matters

but I guess when you got swept and didnt make the playoffs you have to take your victories where you can get them ^_^

So I guess Matty Ice will not be able to throw against them? :D

We will just have to ram the ball down their porous run defense! :D

The problem is that it won't be enough. That game plan won't score you enongh points. We will be moving the ball up and down the field on your D all day.