The perception of our DLine

I am the first person not to look too much into media publications outside of the ones within the city (and i barely trust those) because all they look at is names and numbers. They dont realize how wrong a person will be if all they look at is names and numbers. While numbers dont lie, they certainly dont tell the whole story. Our DLine is pretty youthful (outside of Abe) with a lot of talent. The problem (according to the media) is we dont have any names they recognize. Most criticize us for not drafting a pass rusher. Someone name me a 4-3 DE that came in YEAR ONE in the last ten years and put up big numbers? (With the exception of Mark Anderson from Chicago) It doesnt happen. Pass rushers will agree it is much easier to generate pressure when standing up oppose to having a hand in the ground. The point being, there is no point in drafting a DE we did not believe will come in a 4-3 scheme and generate pressure immediately. We have players who are going into there 2nd and 3rd years (Biermann and Sidbury) who may not have as much talent as a first round DE, but have developed skill and can contribute to our team better than a first round DE this year. Not to mention Babs, Thomas Johnson, and Vance Walker (who played pretty good toward the end of the year). Sometimes teams have to give players a chance to make a name for themselves. I think we did the right thing and will be pleasantly surprised with the results.

+1 for being positive man!

As smith and TD said, Our D-line will do better if we can get some coverage down the field.

Last season, Abe, JA98 (yes i said Jamaal Anderson lol), Beirmann, Babs and other Dline man came pretty close to getting the QB. I believe if we give them another second or two during the plays we could do wonders.

I believe if we give them another second or two during the plays we could do wonders.

thats funny cuz some would say if the pass rush got there a second or two faster, the coverage would hold up fine.

thing is, we signed the best CB available in F/A, moved up in the draft to grab a CB, are looking for our 1st and 2nd rd picks from last year to return from injury being a ball hawk SS, and a pass rushing DT. we used our #1 pick on an OLB that excels in coverage and as a pass rusher, and we're banking on the development of two young pass rushers in biermann and sidbury.

i think our problem was youth at DE AND CB last year, because they added one of everything. the draft gave us a DL, a LB, a CB, and a S. and F/A revealed what may have been the staff's biggest headache with the addition of robinson, and subtraction of houston.

i dont think anybody could take one side(pass rush) or the other(coverage) because the coaches and FO apparentlly laid blame on the entire defense from front to back.

One thing that will help a lot is better underneath coverage.

Te's and running backs did more damage to use then other teams wr's.

Couldnt agree any moree with that assertion. We were killed by TEs and RBs (Kevin Boss, Reggie Bush the 2nd game, Kevin Faulk, Jeremy Shockey, Brent Celek) to name a few. This is where i think the acquisition of Sean Weatherspoon will pay dividends. Not saying i think he can keep up with Reggie or any scat back in the league, but he can close on RBs to prevent YAC. This is also where we were killed last year. The underneath stuff is fine as long as they get hit right after.

thats funny cuz some would say if the pass rush got there a second or two faster, the coverage would hold up fine.

thing is, we signed the best CB available in F/A, moved up in the draft to grab a CB, are looking for our 1st and 2nd rd picks from last year to return from injury being a ball hawk SS, and a pass rushing DT. we used our #1 pick on an OLB that excels in coverage and as a pass rusher, and we're banking on the development of two young pass rushers in biermann and sidbury.

i think our problem was youth at DE AND CB last year, because they added one of everything. the draft gave us a DL, a LB, a CB, and a S. and F/A revealed what may have been the staff's biggest headache with the addition of robinson, and subtraction of houston.

i dont think anybody could take one side(pass rush) or the other(coverage) because the coaches and FO apparentlly laid blame on the entire defense from front to back.

This is a part of the reason i LOVE our front office. There seems to be a sense of ACCOUNTABILITY here, especially to the veterans. The bottom line is, if you do your job there is nothing to worry about. If you dont do your job then you wont be here (Keith Brooking, Chris Houston, Lawyer Milloy). So with there track record over the last two years, it says a lot that they have faith in Biermann and Sidbury. I see no reason why i should have no faith in them, after all they see more of them than we do.