WWRD?

Rambler

After the fiascos our last two Presidents have had with disasters, I started to wonder how some of the other Presidents would have faired under these circmstances, and short of Teddy Roosevelt and maybe JFK I dont think any modern day politician would be able to rise above the situation. I then started to think about potential Presidents who might have had a handle on the crisis and the name Ross Perot popped in my mind.

Let me be the first to say that ole Ross had his share of "issues" but handling a crises requires a different mammal than the one who governs when times are normal. It takes a hands on, no nonsense approach that might call for some unconventional thinking, something Ross excelled at. Who can forget the "see it, taste it, feel it" response he gave to how he would have handled the L.A. riots as opposed to Bush 41`s apathetic response. Somehow I think Ross would be elbow deep in oil trying to solve the problem.

Which begs the question, why dont politicians get it when it comes to disasters? You cant tell me that the same red take that allowed people to stand in front of the Superdome for 3 days while thirsty and starving, and the same red tape that wont allow local governments to place barges as barriers couldnt be cut through with the commander-in-chief on the scene. I also dont think Washington would fall into chaos if the President took a more hands on approach in during these disasters. It sure wouldnt hurt their poll numbers either.

Edited by daroadrambler

CAN I FINISH?

My post is more about Ross Perot than golfing. While I am at it, here are some of Ross`s best quotes.

A weak currency is the sign of a weak economy, and a weak economy leads to a weak nation.

Action is greater than writing. A good man is a nobler object of contemplation than a great author. There are but two things worth living for: to do what is worthy of being written; and to write what is worthy of being read.

Anybody can cut prices, but it takes brains to produce a better article.

Business is not just doing deals; business is having great products, doing great engineering, and providing tremendous service to customers. Finally, business is a cobweb of human relationships.

Eagles don't flock, you have to find them one at a time.

Failures are like skinned knees, painful but superficial.

If someone is blessed as I am is not willing to clean out the barn, who will?

If we did not have such a thing as an airplane today, we would probably create something the size of N.A.S.A. to make one.

If you can't stand a little sacrifice and you can't stand a trip across the desert with limited water, we're never going to straighten this country out.

If you see a snake, just kill it - don't appoint a committee on snakes.

In plain Texas talk, it's 'do the right thing'

Inventories can be managed, but people must be led.

Life is like a cobweb, not an organization chart.

Most new jobs won't come from our biggest employers. They will come from our smallest. We've got to do everything we can to make entrepreneurial dreams a reality.

Most people give up just when they're about to achieve success. They quit on the one yard line. They give up at the last minute of the game one foot from a winning touchdown.

Punishing honest mistakes stifles creativity. I want people moving and shaking the earth and they're going to make mistakes.

Spend a lot of time talking to customers face to face. You'd be amazed how many companies don't listen to their customers.

The activist is not the man who says the river is dirty. The activist is the man who cleans up the river.

The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled, the public debt should be reduced and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.

War has rules, mud wrestling has rules - politics has no rules.

Guest Regular Guy

My post is more about Ross Perot than golfing. While I am at it, here are some of Ross`s best quotes.

A weak currency is the sign of a weak economy, and a weak economy leads to a weak nation.

Action is greater than writing. A good man is a nobler object of contemplation than a great author. There are but two things worth living for: to do what is worthy of being written; and to write what is worthy of being read.

Anybody can cut prices, but it takes brains to produce a better article.

Business is not just doing deals; business is having great products, doing great engineering, and providing tremendous service to customers. Finally, business is a cobweb of human relationships.

Eagles don't flock, you have to find them one at a time.

Failures are like skinned knees, painful but superficial.

If someone is blessed as I am is not willing to clean out the barn, who will?

If we did not have such a thing as an airplane today, we would probably create something the size of N.A.S.A. to make one.

If you can't stand a little sacrifice and you can't stand a trip across the desert with limited water, we're never going to straighten this country out.

If you see a snake, just kill it - don't appoint a committee on snakes.

In plain Texas talk, it's 'do the right thing'

Inventories can be managed, but people must be led.

Life is like a cobweb, not an organization chart.

Most new jobs won't come from our biggest employers. They will come from our smallest. We've got to do everything we can to make entrepreneurial dreams a reality.

Most people give up just when they're about to achieve success. They quit on the one yard line. They give up at the last minute of the game one foot from a winning touchdown.

Punishing honest mistakes stifles creativity. I want people moving and shaking the earth and they're going to make mistakes.

Spend a lot of time talking to customers face to face. You'd be amazed how many companies don't listen to their customers.

The activist is not the man who says the river is dirty. The activist is the man who cleans up the river.

The budget should be balanced, the treasury should be refilled, the public debt should be reduced and the arrogance of public officials should be controlled.

War has rules, mud wrestling has rules - politics has no rules.

Man, that dude's speak was refreshing. We could use some of that logic right about now, eh?

JFK rise above the situation? JFK was a horrible president.

I a staunch conservative, but JFK was one of my favorite Presidents. He handled the greatest crisis (the Cuban Missile Crisis) this country ever encountered with the wisdom of Solomon and was responsible for the bill that lowered taxes shortly after his death. Below is an article from 1998 by Human Events Publishing about the Kennedy tax cuts.

Kennedy launched his tax initiative on Jan. 24, 1963, in a special message to Congress. "It has become increasingly clear," he said, "that the largest single barrier to full employment of our manpower and resources and to a higher rate of economic growth is the unrealistically heavy drag of federal income taxes on private purchasing power, initiative and incentive."

Although the federal government was running a large budget deficit, Kennedy argued that taxes still needed to be cut. Said Kennedy, "As I have repeatedly emphasized. our choice today is not between a tax cut and a balanced budget. Our choice is between chronic deficits resulting from chronic slack, on the one hand, and transitional deficits temporarily enlarged by tax revision designed to promote full employment and thus make possible an ultimately balanced budget."

JFK Had Little Support From His Advisers

Toward this end, Kennedy offered a 7point tax reduction program that included a reduction in the top personal income tax rate from 91% to 65% and a lowering of the bottom rate from 20% to 14%, a cut in the corporate income tax rate from 52% to 47%, and a 20% decrease in the capital gains tax. In support of the latter initiative, Kennedy pointed out that the capital gains tax "directly affects investment decision, the mobility and flow of risk capital from static to more dynamic situations, the ease or difficulty experienced by new ventures in obtaining capital, and thereby the strength and potential for growth of the economy."

Perhaps the most interesting thing about the Kennedy tax cut is that he put forward his plan with little support from his advisers and against the strenuous opposition of some. Among the latter was John Kenneth Galbraith, a Harvard economics professor whom Kennedy appointed as ambassador to India. Galbraith reports that he "weighed in heavily against the action." Money from the tax cut, he said, will go into the pockets of those who need it least, and "lower tax revenues will become a ceiling on spending."

It took real courage from John Kennedy, a liberal Democrat from our most liberal state, Massachusetts, to propose a permanent reduction in tax rates. True, many of his advisers did favor an expansionary fiscal policy, but as Galbraith pointed out, this could have been accomplished just as well by expanding government spending rather than cutting taxes. Moreover, given the budget deficit, Kennedy knew he would come in for severe attack not only from Republicans but also from many in his own party as well.

In fact, it is doubtful that the Kennedy tax cut would have passed Congress had he lived. It was enacted in 1964 mainly out of sympathy in the wake of assassination and because Lyndon Johnson saw it as politically expedient to ram the tax cut through in order to cement his power.