Do The Falcons Have Any Question Marks Coming Into The 2010 Season?

Here are mine. What are yours? What are your answers to mine?

-Will Ryan improve over 08 and 09?

-Can our defense improve in the passing game?

-Will we get production out of our 4th, 5th and 6th passing options?

-Can our Oline play better against good defenses?

-Is the middle of our defense as good as the message board think?

-Will our punt coverage team suck again?

-How healthy are Turner, Jerry, HD, Fin, Williams and Moore?

-Will our DC and OC RISE UP?

-Will Babineaux catch a suspension?

-Will Smitty continue to improve his benching skills and play the right players?

-Will Abe have 10 to 15 sacks or is he done?

-Will Smitty finally get what he begged three years for. A pass rush from the LDE spot?

-Can our top 5 players stay healthy for 20 games?

-Will TD make a late camp move that gets us over the top?

-Will we let a team like CAR, ARI, SF, TB, CLE, SEA or STL knock us off?

There are so many more but those are the ones that ring in my head. What about you?

Guest Gritz

There are so many more but those are the ones that ring in my head. What about you?

I believe he will, if for no other reason than he will just will it. His work ethic is amazing. This kid won't be denied improvement.

The minute we acquired Dunta Robinson the passing D dramatically improved. Van Gorder should be able to play some more man and aggressive schemes with Dunta back there.

I have no idea on this one. If we're going with the assumption that it's (in order) White, Gonzalez, Jenkins....then I feel great about the 4th option if it's Douglas. If Douglas is the 3rd option and Jenkins is 4th then I don't feel as good. Who's next, Meier? Weems? Finn? Youth, Special Teams Contributor, Injury....Big questions...

They didn't in the mid part of last year. Quite frankly they looked awful. They did look good against a very good Jets D towards the end of the year. That was encouraging. They need to step it up. Overall as a unit they fell off from '08.

I don't really know what the message board thinks on this. There are so many differing opinions flying around at any one given time...there are very few consensus opinions on this board. Having said that though, I believe the acquisition of Spoon will free Lofton up to become a bit more of a playmaker. It's easier to freelance a tiny bit at that MLB spot if you know you have a fast compatriot on your side (literally) to cover up any mistake you might make....So, with Lofton, yeah, we're strong there. Middle of the line....I have to be honest here...I'm prejudiced in favor of Jerry because I'm an Ole Miss fan. I know how country strong and quick he is when he is healthy, but it would take a fool to say that his injury history and current injury isn't a concern. I'm not a fool. We'll just have to wait and see. Babs has a possible suspension coming up. He's fine when he's available. Peters....I don't know if I saw a single Kentucky game while he was there so the kid is a complete mystery to me. Johnson played well in spot duty. I don't even want to get into Anderson. I defended him early in his career. I'm not doing that anymore. The fact that some posters on here somehow point to his duty at DT as being somehow redemptive of his career or even draft status boggles my mind. I believe realistically the only thing keeping him on the roster is the unknown or shaky status of both Jerry and Babs. I love our safeties.

It needs to tighten up after the great year it posted in '08.

I'm not as hard on VG as I am on Mularkey. VG hasn't had the tools to implement that Mularkey has.

Yes. I'm betting 2 games.

-Will Smitty continue to improve his benching skills and play the right players?

Yes. If the Falcons post a winning record this year and make the playoffs he passes Reeves in my book as the best Falcons HC ever. Yeah, I believe that.

He gets 11. He isn't done. He's pissed, and like in all of the Rocky movies, that isn't good for the opponent.

-Will Smitty finally get what he begged three years for. A pass rush from the LDE spot?

Biermann breaks out. Yes.

Have no way of knowing the answer to that. Crucial for a successful season though.

Only if the news isn't encouraging regarding injuries.

At least one will. That's the nature of the game. But we'll knock off someone we're not supposed to also.

Guest Gritz

Left one out:

One of the few things (style-wise) that Dimitroff brought with him from New England that I don't care for is the shroud of mystery that envelopes our players and their respective injuries. I get it. I know why they aren't forthcoming with that info. Just speaking as someone who loves this team it's frustrating to not know what is really going on.....So, like all of the rest of us I try and read the tea leaves.

Here's my best guesses:

Turner-As The Burner himself said at OTAs....90%...no reason to doubt him.

Jerry-I have no idea. I keep hearing from Ryan, Smitty and others that the Falcons are going to be at "full strength." Well, by definition that should include Jerry, right? Moore said that he (Jerry) was coming along...But I just don't know. I have a gut feeling that if it was as bad as some people have imagined TD would have been a bigger player in the Henderson sweepstakes. My gut tells me that the first 1/3 of the season will pass before Jerry sees significant snaps.

HD-Ready and chomping.

Finn-Old, Ready and chomping. Give me 53 Finns and I'll beat your brains in every Sunday.

Williams-Surprised we signed him as early as we did, so that kinda signaled to me that he was rehabbing pretty smoothly.

Moore-Ready and chomping.

Guest Gritz

Thanks Gritz.

That's a dam good response. I pretty much agree with everything you posted with the slight exception of the BVG vs Mularkey part.

Excellent post.

Thanks man. Appreciate it.

Have a good weekend. I don't know if you're a dad but I'll go ahead and wish you a preemptive Happy Father's Day..... ;)

He will at least be back to 08 form, and all indications point to yes, says my magic 8 ball.

I think so. If for nothing else, we bought some experience, and our young 'uns will have a couple yrs under the belt now.

Yes. But some of this depends on Matt.

Still a question for me. I hope they rise up. I honestly don't know, and some of it is predicated on staying injury free, for me anyway. Don't know much about the new guy, Hawley. Who else did we get, anyone?

Depends on who you're talking to. :P For me, it is still a concern, until I see Jerry returned to full health and banging heads alongside Babineaux et al.

I didn't think we were THAT bad last year. But you will probably post some stats to prove me wrong. I'm not a stat guy. I go more just by observation. Some of the new blood will likely play ST so we could realize an improvement, I suppose.

Not a doctor. Can only go by the news. I'm worried most about Jerry and HD.

Aw man, don't get me started on Van Gorder. I'm not a hater. I just haven't figured out whether I like him or not yet. Is it him or the personnel? The debate persists. Hopefully, Mularkey won't thin down the playbook this year. I didn't see the need for that last year, and felt like it was kind of either an insult, or a telling sign to the offense.

Probably

Yes, I believe he will, especially if we are doing well and get some momentum out of the gate. I guess I'm saying he will probably be quicker to replace a poor performer. Then again, one could make the argument that if the season is going down the toilet, what has he got to lose by playing different players for a "look see".

Are those the only 2 choices? I don't think he gets MORE than 10. JMO...

Depends on how much Busterson plays there. I'm expecting Bierman to come up big this year, so guess I'd have to say this will be improved w/him at the position.

*praying*

But btw, how likely is that for any team? That's a stat I wouldn't mind looking at across the league.

Not sure what you have in mind here, or exactly what "the top" is.

Yes, it is Falcons tradition. :P

Good on ya for puttin' this in it's own thread. I kinda thought it would make a good one when I first read it. You get on my nerves sometimes, "trust me", but you do make some good posts at times as well. :P

My answers in the body above.

-Will Ryan improve over 08 and 09? I think this year we will see the Ryan that we can expect to see for years to come

-Can our defense improve in the passing game? I'm hoping that an improved secondary will allow more time for a pass rush which will inturn improved the pass defensed. To me a defense is like a machine, all the parts have to work in unison, chain reaction if you will

-Will we get production out of our 4th, 5th and 6th passing options? I think we have got to find a way to get our outside threats to spread the field while our slot and TE eat up all the space underneath. LB's will have a hard time covering HD and Tony, CB's need to be spread out defending the outside threat

-Can our Oline play better against good defenses? I think the o-line played alittle poorer than in '08, McClure is at the end of his career, hopefully the rookies will come in strong and Sammy will stay healthy

-Is the middle of our defense as good as the message board think? Peters to me is the biggest question mark, if Jerry isn't ready Peters has to step up strong, if Jerry is fine..well +1s all the way

-Will our punt coverage team suck again? we've got some great rookie additions that will be mainly special teams players this year, i think we will be fine

-How healthy are Turner, Jerry, HD, Fin, Williams and Moore?Turner will be fine, I think Jerry will come through, HD will be good to go, Williams worries me, he's a little older and may take longer to come back around, Moore....keeping my fingers crossed, he could be special if he stays healthy

-Will our DC and OC RISE UP? MM has to, we were way to predictable last year, a lot of that had to do with Ryan only having confidence in White and Gonzo, but I thought Weems numer should have been called more

-Will Babineaux catch a suspension? two game max, probably just 1

-Will Smitty continue to improve his benching skills and play the right players?yes

-Will Abe have 10 to 15 sacks or is he done? I'm saying 9 at the most

-Will Smitty finally get what he begged three years for. A pass rush from the LDE spot?I expect a big year from Kroy

-Can our top 5 players stay healthy for 20 games?they better if we expect to succeed

-Will TD make a late camp move that gets us over the top?there really is no telling, until we get and camp and dust settles after putting the pads on, I don't think they even really know where we stand not on paper

-Will we let a team like CAR, ARI, SF, TB, CLE, SEA or STL knock us off?better not

Good on ya for puttin' this in it's own thread. I kinda thought it would make a good one when I first read it. You get on my nerves sometimes, "trust me", but you do make some good posts at times as well. :PMy answers in the body above.

Nice post bro. I like it.

To answer your TD question. He usually brings in someone the week after the last pre season game. In 08 it was Foxworth. In 09 it was Williams.

Who will it be in 2010? A WR? DT? DE? kicker? Jus askin.

-Will Ryan improve over 08 and 09? YES

-Can our defense improve in the passing game? YES

-Will we get production out of our 4th, 5th and 6th passing options? YES

-Can our Oline play better against good defenses? YES

-Is the middle of our defense as good as the message board think? YES

-Will our punt coverage team suck again? NO

-How healthy are Turner, Jerry, HD, Fin, Williams and Moore? 100%

-Will our DC and OC RISE UP? YES

-Will Babineaux catch a suspension? one game(see shaun ellis NYJ 09)

-Will Smitty continue to improve his benching skills and play the right players? nobody needs benching in 2010

-Will Abe have 10 to 15 sacks or is he done? 17

-Will Smitty finally get what he begged three years for. A pass rush from the LDE spot? YES, COLD bier.

-Can our top 5 players stay healthy for 20 games? YES

-Will TD make a late camp move that gets us over the top? NO NEED

-Will we let a team like CAR, ARI, SF, TB, CLE, SEA or STL knock us off? NOPE

There are so many more but those are the ones that ring in my head. What about you? YOU NEED TO GET ANY NOISES IN YOUR HEAD LOOKED AT BY A HEALTH CARE PROFESSIONAL.

its more fun if you read the questions while whistling the theme music to the old sitcom SOAP.

-will 2010 be the year gazoo gets to gloat about JA98?

-will the dome offer horns similar to the ones used in the european soccer games cept with an annoying falcon mating call sound instead of a horny bee hive sound?

-will we ever change our helmets to candy apple red like i keep saying?

-will the younger generation get the reference to soap?

-these and many other questions will be answered in the next episode of...

I think he did improve last year with his leadership. His numbers didn't "look" as good but he had every defense really gunning for him and I believe he handled it well. Plus he missed almost 3 games with a serious injury and fought back to help our team. That was a true sign of a leader and warrior. He should be even better in every category and the team will trust him even more.

With the steady improvement of our d-line, coverage ability of Sean, and the stabilizing presence of Dunta, I believe we will surprise everyone.

We searched all year for a replacement to Harry. Even though he is our third option I think Tony took that spot. This offseason we brought in Kerry and that kid Wolfe. Weems seems to have impressed our quarterback and maybe the new tightends will show us something good. Add all that together and we should be strong in that aspect, especially if Norwood can stay healthy and create big plays as our check down option.

With all the experience we got against the 3-4 last year and the quality depth we aquired in the draft we should be much better.

I am not putting all my eggs in the Jerry basket just because I know how tough it will be to overcome his injury. We did add Peters who should really help until Peria gets back. His skill set reminds me of him some. Our rotation is pretty strong and now that guys like Vance and Trey have more experience it should be an above average group. I am not worried about Babs. He may miss a game or two but we can get through that. Thomas was solid for us too.

We added alot more speed and with Shillinger, some attitude. The coverage team will be tougher and hopefully better. Since our depth is getting better that should in turn improve our special teams.

Turner should be ready to steam roll again. Jerry will get better as the season goes on. Williams and Finn are good veterans that should contribute more as mentors than athletes this year. Moore seems to be the most healthy out of everyone mentioned.

I think it was more the Billys and the Joes than the X's and the O's last year.

Maybe 2 games at the most...

His open competition for almost every spot ensures that everyone plays as hard as possible.

If history is any indicator he should have atleast a 10 sack season. Our new and improved secondary should give us coverage sacks. If anyone can get the job done with just an extra second it is Abraham.

Ahhh enter year three Kroy.

That would be Ryan, Turner, Roddy, Lofton, and Abe... I sure hope so because looking at that list we know how tough it was with just Ryan and Turner. Tony could be on this list but we did make it to the playoffs without him.

I wouldn't be surprised but I am hoping we are over the top all ready.

Great teams beat bad teams consistently. Now which of these teams will remain bad this year??? I see a sweep but you never know.

Edited by Abe

To my eyes last year, teams started to gear up to stop Matt after the SF game (hence why Turner had the huge games before injury and even Snelling had big numbers). Towards the end of the year, he starting to prove that he's good enough to overcome that. I'm pretty sure he has a big year from a production standpoint, and I'm even more sure that he'll continue to win games.

The secondary can't be worse than last year - there's almost no further it can fall (we're not Detroit). I'm not sure we'll be much better than average, but that's still an improvement. I will wait to see Jerry's status and which LBers are in the nickel before I get too enthusiastic though.

I think Harry Douglas will be fine - although I do worry about his hands as he had a number of drops in 08. If he can pick up about the same number of balls as Jenkins out of the slot (50-60) we'll be cooking and improve our YAC. Another guy who can really contribute here is Norwood out of the backfield - while Meier and Finn can do the possesion job nicely, I'd like to see some men missing in the open field.

This is the million dollar question along with the pass rush. Line play is what will move us from good to great and determine whether we can make noise in January. I think the guards will be spurred on by the competition from Johnson, McClure is always solid at worst, so the key are the bookends. I think Baker certainly has it in him but he's got to show it in the games that matter not in pre-season or in the trainer's room.

The safeties are great - DeCoud can make plays against run and pass, and as long as the SS job is a fair competition we'll get at worst a good player from it (and maybe a difference maker if Moore does beat Coleman out). Lofton cleans up in the run game and as long as we don't use him against Maclin in zone again there's no issue there. Babs is great in this system. The fifth player though will determine whether it lives up to all of the hype. If Jerry or Peters makes plays that's great, but while Johnson is solid he's not a force.

We over achieved in 2008. We under-achieved last year. It'll be somewhere in between.

Turner - studly

Jerry - he'll play opening day, but not many snaps. Fingers crossed for after that

Douglas - he'll be healthy but probably more like 2008 HD rather than the studly 2009 camp version

Fin - healthy but may be struggling for a spot if we only carry 5 WRs and Weems returns

Williams - early signing shows the faith the FO has

Moore - studly

MM - I have faith

BVG - I wish I had faith

No - the mess that was starcaps and Cushing means the league will not be keen to draw attention to drug issues

Don't know how much it is down to Smitty or the co-ordinators preferences. But I sure hope so.

12 sacks - but this will be the last year of double digits.

It may not show as huge sack numbers but Kroy is going to bring the heat - lots of hits and forced throw aways.

You never know. But of the core seven (MR, RW, MT, TG, JA55, CL, DR), all the reports have been positive all season.

I think it will be a value move like Foxworth not a panic move like Hill/Williams. I don't think it will be a move that gets us over the top per se (prob not even a starter) but we'll get someone off waivers to fill out the 53.

Apart from CAR, I don't think so. We have an excellent record in the Smitty era of winning the games we should win. CAR away looks like a trap game though.

Do I want Bryant or Hauschka kicking with a playoff game on the line?

Can we win tough games on the road?

Can we cut out on the special teams turnovers (I remember a couple of Weems fumbles)?

-------

Excellent thread during the quiet period - cheers

Okay, i'll charm in with an Unbiased opinion.Eventhough by me being a rival my opinion is already Biased, i'll put all that aside for FF70. :)

Here are my ??? for the 2010 falcons.

1. Your D is the biggest ???, can Jerry be back and if so will be able to play the whole season with out being injured again? Jerry could very well be the next Caddy when it comes to health. Will Dunta be a step up from what you had last season? just cause he was the top Free agent doesn't mean anything to me. AH, Angelo Crowell, Derrick Ward were all top free agents and look how that turned out(not saying Dunta will). Dunta has all the tools, just have to see. You should be set at LB so that is a non issue with me. Your FS & SS dont really scare me, they still seem to be a unproven item. and all in all their fate rests with your D-line, And your D-line rests all on JA sholders. I dont think he'll ever have another 16 sack season, or close to it for that fact but hey, strangers things have happend. the only aspect i think you'll get better on D is your LB play(which wasn't a weakness to begin with in my opinion), Weatherspoons addition will be noticed... big time.

2. Your offense has fewer ??? than your defense but still some big ???.

Will matt Ryan ever live up to the hype? will Turner stay healthy and "carry" your offense as some think? I think you guys are okay on offense, your gonna score points. It rests on Turner sholders if you'll just be "just ok" or be "really good". Might very well be Gonzos last year so you'll need to use it while you got it.

Y'all have easily the best Kicker in the game with Matt Bryant, i love the guy. always will.

How good will Ryan be this year?

Ryan has added muscle this offseason and should throw a better deep ball. His work ethic is legendary already, the man is primed for a big year. How big?

Does this last draft mean the falcons have enough quality depth to withstand the inevitable injuries of a long season?

After the first round, Falcons drafted for depth on the lines and wide receiving core. If they chose well, this team is much better off.

Two years removed from his injury, has Trey Lewis regained that quick first step that made him so effective?

Is Atkins poised to make a DeCoud like jump in playing time?

These two players would make the falcons a much deeper team if they contribute.

Is there any late round/UDFA receiver magic ala Coulson/Welker on the falcons roster?

Man, would that help.

Non "looking for trouble" type of post.

- Yes, he will show improvement. He still won't be in the elite tier, but I think he and Flacco will both improve and be in the 90 QB rating area.

- Can they? Sure they can, but like every defense it all comes back to the pass rush.

- Consistent production? I don't think.

- Personally, I see the Falcons line being made up of a bunch of slightly below or above average players. No great players on the line. For that reason, until the Falcons make some changes I think they'll always struggle a little against better defenses. I don't understand why the Falcons haven't tried to upgrade.

- What is the middle of the defense? The LBers? If so, strongest point of your D in my opinion. Still not in the elite category, but loads and loads of potential.

- Depends on the performance of Koenen and more importantly your offense and their field position at the time of punting.

- Now here is something I think yall are overestimating. Turner seems fine as now, question is can he hold up during the season? Falcons have to get him more help. I believe yall are overrating Jerry and Douglas in my opinion. Both are coming off major injuries and it often takes two full years for a player to return to full strength. I believe both will play, but yall will come away disappointed in their performance. Not really sure about the other three.

- Simply, no. The Saints were in the same situation and if you look at sports in general coaches are stubborn. They believe their system works and aren't willing to change for the better. Over my time here I've seen alot of people feel the same way. Before the Falcons can make major gains, those two need to be shown the door. Think the Saints and Gary Gibbs being let go.

- Im not really sure if I'm in a position to speculate on that, but judging by Goodell's record I have to believe he will recieve some type of suspension or a fine atleast. It almost seems like if you sneeze to loud Goodell will put down some type of punishment.

- This is always a new coaches biggest weakness. Sean Payton often had the same type of problems until the last two or so years. I also think the OC and DC play a part and I've already spoken on them.

- I wouldn't say Abraham is done, but I don't think he'll finish with double digit sacks. I say 6-8 sacks is about right.

- Rarely happens. You have to rely on others to step up. Who are the Falcons top 5 players in yalls opinion?

- To put the Falcons over the top this late in? I doubt it. He may possibly make some moves to help yall out ever so slightly, but pushing yall over the top? Nah.

- It's hard to go through a season without a team upsetting a better team. Not really sure why you have Carolina on that list.

I won't be bored watching Turner and Snelling pound

the football because I just love the running game period.

However, Norwood gives us a better chance to win games

if he is in the mix. That is a big question at this point

with his recurring hip issue and concussion problem. Nobody

mentions him in all this discussion but he is a big key.

There is nobody like him when he is full strength. So I feel

duty bound to remind those that have forgotten him to just

think back and hope for the best.

The biggest question mark always will be injuries.So I would have to say biggest question mark is depth ,all over the field since injuries have no prediction.We are getting there and young.......you how that works!!!

The 2008 season showed how successful this team could be without suffering too many significant injuries so good health is very essential to a deep playoff run.

-Will Ryan improve over 08 and 09? Yes especially with Douglas back,

-Can our defense improve in the passing game? [On paper they should Dunta and the maturation of the secondary is key as well as a healthy DL

-Will we get production out of our 4th, 5th and 6th passing options? **** I hope so kinda up to Ryan getting the time to check down,like Meier

-Can our Oline play better against good defenses? see above lol

-Is the middle of our defense as good as the message board think? haha I'm optimistic but somebody needs to be a leader when the Birds defense was good throughout the years it mostly seemed because there was a veteran at MLB or safety, I hopefully Lofton fills that role

-Will our punt coverage team suck again? Special teams always an under rated aspect, again up to some of the young guys

-How healthy are Turner, Jerry, HD, Fin, Williams and Moore? Mostly concerned with Finneran and Williams because of age but don't want to think about Turner getting hurt again

-Will our DC and OC RISE UP? I have some faith in Mularkey,not as much in Van Gorder

-Will Babineaux catch a suspension? Yes but **** it should be short

-Will Smitty continue to improve his benching skills and play the right players? Yea I think the team is still behind him big time

-Will Abe have 10 to 15 sacks or is he done? I don't think he is done,or should I hope he isn't,regardless DL does have better depth.

-Will Smitty finally get what he begged three years for. A pass rush from the LDE spot? I'm gonna say yes really like Beirman and Sidbury

-Can our top 5 players stay healthy for 20 games? That doesn't happen often,gotta keep Ryan upright and give Turner less carries

-Will TD make a late camp move that gets us over the top? He will make a move, but depends on who and what position

-Will we let a team like CAR, ARI, SF, TB, CLE, SEA or STL knock us off? Seattle game worries me,just like any division game,but **** they had better be able to handle Moore and Freeman

I always look to the trenches OL and DL, lots of question marks,OL needs to really jell as a unit, got to get a pass rush from the front four or hope Van Gorder gets it from somewhere else.

Edited by putnam6

its more fun if you read the questions while whistling the theme music to the old sitcom SOAP.

-will 2010 be the year gazoo gets to gloat about JA98?

-will the dome offer horns similar to the ones used in the european soccer games cept with an annoying falcon mating call sound instead of a horny bee hive sound?

-will we ever change our helmets to candy apple red like i keep saying?

-will the younger generation get the reference to soap?

-these and many other questions will be answered in the next episode of...

haha loved that show lol.

Bucman and NOLA33 you guys seem overly pessimistic about the 2010 Falcons LOL. Kind of pisses me off that your responses are hard to argue with haha.

That said at least it shows you watch and know something about the Birds or are jonesing for some **** football like a lot of us here.

They have the same DL as last year which was not good. Also, you can stick a fork in Peria Jerry. The Falcon's silence is deafening. We do not have a Super Bowl caliber DL at all.

Edited by slewis1952

They have the same DL as last year which was not good. Also, you can stick a fork in Peria Jerry. The Falcon's silence is deafening. We do not have a Super Bowl caliber DL at all.

Kroy Biermann with another year of experience.

Jonathan Babineaux, a Pro Bowl caliber DL.

Returning Peria Jerry.

John Abraham, a Pro Bowler.

Yeah, Jerry is done because he missed his rookie year with a knee injury. A 2nd year player, done forever. Someone didn't smack the dumb out of you early on in life, or maybe they smacked you once and gave up. Either way, not looking good for you.