Self-Entitlement

Zodiac

We were taught to share in Kindergarten. I think we all remember that, however among all the things wrong with teens in America these days one thing is overlooked. That one thing is a little term known as self entitlement. If you ever take time out of your daily lives and sit down and watch a few shows from Cartoon Network, and watch a few teens interact, you can see one thing that is there and will always be. Self entitlement. An average teenager tends to be the most selfish creature in our society these days. Teenagers are brought up with the thought that they are better than everyone esle and deserve more things than other children.

The worst example I have personally seen in my lifetime is when someone at my Highschool got thier restored 1978 Trans-am Firebird trashed, this person worked thier *** off for all summer long restoring that car. Also it was trashed by "popular kids at my school" simply because they believed he was to unpopular to have a car that good. Needless to say each of them got expelled and had to pay a hefty sum of money after they got caught.

Now, where do they learn to be this selfish from? Part of it could be thier parents. However lets look at our Celebrities for a second. We've all seen Kanye West, Milton Bradley, TO, Chad-Ocho Cinco, and Vince Young (to name a few) make complete ***** over themselves cause they thought they were better than someone esle. Perhaps those Teens are paying a bit to much attention to people like them and trying mold themselves into these said people because they think they're,"cool", "Awesome", and "Beast". I really don't know where thier parents are on this ordeal but they need to step in.

To TL'DR it for you. My generation and the ones following it are going to be some of the biggest self entitled ******** to ever grace this planet. Also thier learning from our "celebrities", Sports Stars, and Parents to be this way.

This attitude goes waaay back past the examples you mentioned. But I do see what you are saying that this generation is the most miserable example of it. It's a consumer society and everyone wants to be consumer #1. Kids today go through cars and phones like past generations went through a dozen eggs. My nieces and nephews have brand new phones evertime I see them and they act like it's a humiliation to have to drive a car that's 5 years old. And these kids aint from rich families, but some are from dumb parents.

But even in the sixties, with the flower children and such, kids start getting taught that they were " special" as individuals and that turned into " better than other individuals" pretty fast.

The most annoying kids to come down the pike in a while are emo kids, who are completely centered on themselves and their " pain" and their " woe".

These kids are in for a shock when it's time to get out into the real world and earn a living.

I have a niece who cannot believe the bosses at her workplace won't let her have her cellphone at work. :rolleyes: " how can they have the right to say I can't talk on my phone? They don't pay the bill??!!" I want to shake her and tell her " BECAUSE THEY DID NOT COME TO YOUR HOUSE AND DRAG YOU OUT AND FORCE YOU TO WORK THERE WHERE THEY HAVE RULES!"

It's not just on consumer based products, schools have a major problem with parents and kids who think their kid is special and DESERVES ___ as a grade. I'm sorry if you're getting a C grade in an honors class you don't belong. Not every kid is special, they may be special in the eyes of the parent/family but most kids are AVERAGE and that's not acceptable in our society. I'd also point to sports leagues that don't keep scores, crown champions and give out trophies to every kid no matter how their team performed. We're raising a bunch of wimps that THINK they're special, think that they DESERVE everything they are given, yet they're not and they don't in most cases.

In the end though it will work out for those of us on the younger end of the working age, the younger kids don't have the drive or desire to move up in the world, the rest of us will benefit in the short run. The long term picture for this country is bleak when it comes to personal attitudes.

It's not just on consumer based products, schools have a major problem with parents and kids who think their kid is special and DESERVES ___ as a grade. I'm sorry if you're getting a C grade in an honors class you don't belong. Not every kid is special, they may be special in the eyes of the parent/family but most kids are AVERAGE and that's not acceptable in our society. I'd also point to sports leagues that don't keep scores, crown champions and give out trophies to every kid no matter how their team performed. We're raising a bunch of wimps that THINK they're special, think that they DESERVE everything they are given, yet they're not and they don't in most cases.

In the end though it will work out for those of us on the younger end of the working age, the younger kids don't have the drive or desire to move up in the world, the rest of us will benefit in the short run. The long term picture for this country is bleak when it comes to personal attitudes.

News flash: every generation is looked upon as being the demise of society by the previous generation. Pretty much without fail.

Educated by the same government that relies on their ignorance and dependence to keep them in office, and thus keep their steady flow of ungodly amounts of seized wealth.

An educated populace that values self-reliance and freedom over self-entitlement and wealth redistribution is a politicians worst nightmare.

I Disagree With The Chad Thing.. But As A Teenager Myself I Have To Agree.

I Was Not Raised Like That, But I Have Cousins Who B*tch And Complain 'Till They Get What They Want. And its Mostly The Younger Teenagers That Act This Way (13-17)

They Have Cell Phones, And All This New Technology I Didnt Have When I Was Their Age.. Yet They Constantly B*tch if They Dont Get That New Sidekick Even Though They Have A Perfectly Good Phone That Still Works.

I'm 19 Btw, So My Teen Years Are Quickly Coming To An End.

. If you ever take time out of your daily lives and sit down and watch a few shows from Cartoon Network, and watch a few teens interact, you can see one thing that is there and will always be. Self entitlement.

First, I see where you are coming from, and while there are certainly people out there like you are describing, let me assure you that as someone in that 18-21 age group, we are not all like that.

I know this because I certainly do not think I'm better than anyone else, and secondly because none of my friends are that way either, or I would not be friends with them. I'm sure you're not generalizing but it does kind of come off that way.

Secondly, did you just try to prove a point by starting with "I saw it on a cartoon network show"?...because I can't even think of a single show on that network you could take seriously enough to use as a social commentary. :)

EDIT: BTW, if it wasn't clear, I was just joking about the cartoon network thing, I know what you meant.

Edited by Reynolds

First, I see where you are coming from, and while there are certainly people out there like you are describing, let me assure you that as someone in that 18-21 age group, we are not all like that.

I know this because I certainly do not think I'm better than anyone else, and secondly because none of my friends are that way either, or I would not be friends with them. I'm sure you're not generalizing but it does kind of come off that way.

Secondly, did you just try to prove a point by starting with "I saw it on a cartoon network show"?...because I can't even think of a single show on that network you could take seriously enough to use as a social commentary. :)

I Can Relate.

there are a ton of factors at work here. some others that haven't been mentioned

1)the media. we hear about the bad more than ever

2)lack of social interaction. when I was younger I had games systems and television but going out and playing football in the neighborhood>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

but then these days if a parent lets the neighborhood kids play football on their property and one gets hurt they will get sued

3)population. I remember back in my days as a psych major that there was a phenomenon where in any emergency situation, the more people that were present the less likely anybody would act to help. Basically, more people present lowered the ability of people's ability to think and act. Perhaps a much more concentrated population is contributing to the dumbing down of society

4)no responsibility. historically, a person had to learn the think outside of themselves just to fulfill basic necessities. we have a society where you don't have to do anything at all to fulfill basic necessities