If the Braves continue to play like this....

falconsd56

What do you think the braves do?

Personally I think another starter would be a great movie if they got the right one for the right price.

With KK being a liability ( albeit not as bad as some make him out to be)

and JJ coming off of an injury, and he was not that good this year before the injury....

If he comes back and is the pitcher he was last year it's one thing...... if he is the pitcher that he was earlier this year.... that's a whole other story.

What do you guys see the braves doing?

What do you think the braves do?

Personally I think another starter would be a great movie if they got the right one for the right price.

With KK being a liability ( albeit not as bad as some make him out to be)

and JJ coming off of an injury, and he was not that good this year before the injury....

If he comes back and is the pitcher he was last year it's one thing...... if he is the pitcher that he was earlier this year.... that's a whole other story.

What do you guys see the braves doing?

Oh.. he is as bad as we all say.

I don't see us going after a starter, we have plenty of depth in pitching in the minors, which may be used for making a deal. JJ had shoulder problems during spring training, followed by a throwing hand blister and then the hamstring issue, basically he had a bad case of the injury bug. Let's hope that he doesn't have any more problems like that when he comes back.

From what I've read, JJ has been recovering very well without any setbacks and will throw at least 2 more rehab starts at Gwinnett. When JJ comes back, Kawakami will most likely go to the bullpen and Medlen will stay in the rotation. I think that they'll go after a power bat, most likely an outfielder, but then again we're gonna be getting Diaz back before the ASB, but I would like us to get a power bat that can play CF/LF. Plus we are severely lacking in good position player depth in the minors, so some position prospects would be great.

For the first time in memory, the trade market is shaping up to have cheap pitching and expensive bats.

I think a lot will depend on how and if JJ can bounce back. If he continues to struggle, I could see the Braves making a move to help the rotation.

Rumor has it the Braves are already looking for a right handed OF we have plenty of pitching and as far as Crawford goes its possible only if Chipper retires and even then I believe some of that money would go to locking Glaus up for a couple of years

Rumor has it the Braves are already looking for a right handed OF we have plenty of pitching and as far as Crawford goes its possible only if Chipper retires and even then I believe some of that money would go to locking Glaus up for a couple of years

Any rumor as far who they might be targeting?

I still think another solid starter is not a bad idea, for reasons I mentioned.

IF JJ comes back and pitches like he did in April another starter would in needed I think.

i see an OF bat as our #1 concern. i wouldn't mind a deal with KC for alex gordon as a possible replacement to chipper, assuming he hangs it up. a change in scenery may be what he needs.

personally, i think we've played a lot of our best ball without jj. assuming he bounces back to a level anywhere close to last year, it'll be like getting a front of the rotation starter without giving anything up. he should also be well rested and after his first few 5-6 IP starts, he should be ready to go full steam for the 2nd half...that's a nice feeling.

Some hitters who will likley be available and may help the Braves:

Chris Young, AZ

Austin Kearns, CLE

Carlos Quentin, CWS

Luke Scott, BAL

Ty Wigginton, BAL

That said, we should also be getting Matt Diaz back in July. I'm not convinces that any of these options would be appreciably better than a Hinske/Diaz platoon.

Young would be the only real option if you are looking to upgrade the OF, and that would be a marginal improvement.

Any rumor as far who they might be targeting?

I still think another solid starter is not a bad idea, for reasons I mentioned.

IF JJ comes back and pitches like he did in April another starter would in needed I think.

Not really just some names that might be a fit that have been speculated those names were Jose Bautista and Austin Kearns there was 1 more name but I don't remember it at the moment

Some hitters who will likley be available and may help the Braves:

Chris Young, AZ

Austin Kearns, CLE

Carlos Quentin, CWS

Luke Scott, BAL

Ty Wigginton, BAL

That said, we should also be getting Matt Diaz back in July. I'm not convinces that any of these options would be appreciably better than a Hinske/Diaz platoon.

Young would be the only real option if you are looking to upgrade the OF, and that would be a marginal improvement.

young seems to have finally put things together. had some ups and downs, but he could go 30/30 this year with a decent .270+ average. i'd take him.

young seems to have finally put things together. had some ups and downs, but he could go 30/30 this year with a decent .270+ average. i'd take him.

last time I was in AZ I was watching a D-backs game and young was pretty impressive.

He has a nice swing and seems to make good contact when he makes it, putting him between and around Heyward, Glaus, McCan and Prado leading off and he would probably flourish.

last time I was in AZ I was watching a D-backs game and young was pretty impressive.

He has a nice swing and seems to make good contact when he makes it, putting him between and around Heyward, Glaus, McCan and Prado leading off and he would probably flourish.

He's a great looking player, but you've got to be cognizant of the fact that this is the first year in which he has seemingly put it all together. We don't want to be stuck with another Nate McLouth.

I honestly don't think we need to do anything at all come trade deadline. I mean, if JJ comes back and pitches like we know he can, we have a VERY solid 5 man rotation. The OF bat thing has been said alot, but we already have a ton of guys on our roster who play OF, that really won't be worth anything. Heyward(not going anywhere), Hinske(not going anywhere), McClouth(bad year no trade value), Diaz(coming off injury; little trade value), Melky(no trade value). We have enough bodies in the OF to produce runs, as long as this team sticks to small ball. Base hits win ball games alot more frequently than home runs. I'd rather have a line up full of Ichiros than a line up full of Manny Ramirez's.

I honestly don't think we need to do anything at all come trade deadline. I mean, if JJ comes back and pitches like we know he can, we have a VERY solid 5 man rotation. The OF bat thing has been said alot, but we already have a ton of guys on our roster who play OF, that really won't be worth anything. Heyward(not going anywhere), Hinske(not going anywhere), McClouth(bad year no trade value), Diaz(coming off injury; little trade value), Melky(no trade value). We have enough bodies in the OF to produce runs, as long as this team sticks to small ball. Base hits win ball games alot more frequently than home runs. I'd rather have a line up full of Ichiros than a line up full of Manny Ramirez's.

Exactly it's looking like we won't have a huge need anywhere. I could see us trading McLouth just for some prospects to save some money and give another team hope.

That's what my worry is, JJ. Can he come back and pitch well? I expect him to be better than KK, but I think it's something they should keep an eye on. If he can come in, and get get 3-5 starts before the deadline, they'd have an idea on where he is. As far as our bats, I think we're more than fine. The only concern I have there is Mcclouth, and I dread when he comes back.

I think we need another bullpen arm that Bobby trusts. He doesn't work Kimbrel enough to allow him to earn Bobby's trust and he is going to wear out Venters and Wagner. Seems like they pitch every game.

Yeah, Cox tends to overwork the bullpen every year it seems. Venters is pitching way too much...hopefully he gets some rest while Kimbrel pitches some more. Getting Saito back will help, but Cox was running Saito/Moylan/EOF pretty much every game before Saito went down.

Some bullpen stats that kind of shocked me..

Batting average against pitchers with runners on (NL Ranks)

1st. Billy Wagner - .048 (2/42)

6th. Jonny Venters - .158 (9/57)

8th. Takashi Saito - .189 (7/37)

All three rank in the top 10 of batting average allowed also. I think Venters has pretty much got the closer job locked in. His stuff still amazes me.

Some bullpen stats that kind of shocked me..

Batting average against pitchers with runners on (NL Ranks)

1st. Billy Wagner - .048 (2/42)

6th. Jonny Venters - .158 (9/57)

8th. Takashi Saito - .189 (7/37)

All three rank in the top 10 of batting average allowed also. I think Venters has pretty much got the closer job locked in. His stuff still amazes me.

I really hope they consider letting him start next season. Having a left-handed flame throwing sinker baller like that would really add a nice wrinkle in the rotation.

Of course, I'm also hoping Moylan convinces Wags to stay for another year, giving Kimbrel another year to work out control issues.

I say we just wait til the end of the season and then try like **** to get Carl Crawford. A lineup starting out with Prado, Crawford, Heyward and Glaus is just scary.

I'd love that idea, but you've got to think Glaus is gonna want some $$$ if he continues on the tear he is on now. We'll have to see how everything pans out, we could have a good amount of money to spend.