Falcons land 4 players in the top 100 list

Jun

15th

Falcons Land 4 players on Top 100 List

AUTHOR: Troy Heinzman | IN: Falcons | COMMENTS: None Yet Share

Will the Falcons on this list find a home here?

(source: YardBarker)

The Bleacher Report’s Matt Shervington took on the impossible task of ranking the best 100 players in the NFL today.

The entire list – plus his honorable mentions – is broken up into 10 sections, but you can start your journey here.

Peyton Manning, Drew Brees and Adrian Peterson are the top three but hit the jump to see what, if any, Atlanta Falcons made the list.

Honorable Mention

Jonathan Babineaux, Defensive Tackle

Shervington: His production has been nice, but are they the result of not being gameplanned for?

Falcons in the Top 100

79.) John Abraham, Defensive End

Shervington: In every season that Abraham started all 16 games prior to last year he recorded double digit sacks. In the four seasons in which he did not complete the year he averaged .72 sacks per game. Even with last year’s lack of sacks John Abraham averages 11 sacks per every 16 games in his career.

While I am not trying to compare the two directly I think I can utilize the numbers to put things into perspective; at least from a numbers perspective. Reggie White averaged 13.65 sacks per 16 games throughout his career in comparison to Abraham’s 11.

Abraham is an incredibly underrated player who’s career has been marred by a string of injuries and a lack of effort in run defense. Those things aside he is still one of the best pass rushers that generation Y has gotten to see.

71.) Roddy White, Wide Receiver

Shervington: As it stands White has never been in an ideal situation for an entire season. White has yet to have Michael Turner, Tony Gonzalez and Matt Ryan play alongside him for an entire 16 game season.

It is scary to think what he could do from a production standpoint with the entire Falcons offense remaining healthy.

White has tremendous range and can run every single route in the route tree. Though he has a preference for the right side of the field White has no problem producing on both sides of the field as well as going over the middle. He has incredibly soft hands and doesn’t drop many balls.

62.) Michael Turner, Halfback

Shervington: While Turner’s backups (Jerious Norwood and Jason Snelling) are both very talented they didn’t provide what Turner did…the ability to take over games.

Turner’s absence made things a lot harder on the Falcons offense, as much of its potential went out of the window.

Some may disagree with Turner’s positioning but to that I say “just wait” because I believe that if Turner stays healthy. he will light the league on fire.

49. Tony Gonzalez, Tight End

Shervington: Tony Gonzalez has been the mark for comparison at the tight end position over the last decade. If you wanted to know if your tight end was elite during the 2000s, you compared his production and blocking to Tony Gonzalez.

There are only four other players in the entire league that could have said that during that span. Those four players are all probably future Hall of Famers.

While Tony Gonzalez is on the downslide of his career, and this will probably be his last year in the league, what he brings to the table is still amazing.

I'm surprised Gonzo isn't rated higher. I know he's up there in age but the guy seems to play better as he gets older. But I have to say, its great to see our players make the list. I hope to see Ryan's name on similar lists after this season.

this list isnt much, its from another forum, but then they went and put it on bleacher report, the rest isn't very impressive at all

Seriously. This list is just by some dude who sits around and watches football all day. It's nice to see that he watches football a ton, but its some dude nonetheless.

Congratulations to those 4 Falcons for nabbing those much coveted positions on Troy Heinzman's Bleacher Report list. In related news, I'd like to congratulate the Falcons waterboy Johnny Waterman for grabbing the 5th position on my list of the league's 10 top waterboys.

Congratulations to those 4 Falcons for nabbing those much coveted positions on Troy Heinzman's Bleacher Report list. In related news, I'd like to congratulate the Falcons waterboy Johnny Waterman for grabbing the 5th position on my list of the league's 10 top waterboys.

I LOL'd

Not that I really want to debate some random dudes opinion, but just out of curiousity, why do people think that Matt Ryan is one of the 1op 100 football players? I am excited about the guy as anybody, but he's not earned a right to be considered one of the top 10 QBs, and with there being 22 different starting positions on offense and defense, it's hard to imagine how they could list more than 7 or 8 QBs, so would be way hard for Ryan to be considered for any such list.

man some of you girls ***** about anything.

no national media coverage

then we get a lill media coverage and people whine because every detail isn't perfect

or whoever is giving us media attention has to be some kind of dummy so their input is useless

or some average person writes up a pretty decent article but because he's not a sports writer it's a waste

or a sports writer makes an article but because he's not a different sports writer it's not worth a read

whiner than a gaggle of school girls around here.

can't wait til the season starts, hopefully the estrogen levels will go down around here.

man some of you girls ***** about anything.

no national media coverage

then we get a lill media coverage and people whine because every detail isn't perfect

or whoever is giving us media attention has to be some kind of dummy so their input is useless

or some average person writes up a pretty decent article but because he's not a sports writer it's a waste

or a sports writer makes an article but because he's not a different sports writer it's not worth a read

whiner than a gaggle of school girls around here.

can't wait til the season starts, hopefully the estrogen levels will go down around here.

Dude, I hear what you are saying, except you have to understand something - The Bleacher Report is not media coverage. It's basically a message board that formats your post in the form of a sports article. As I am myself listed as one of the top Falcons writers, I can assure you that this is true.

Roddy has produced 3 consecutive 1000+ yard seasons while Turner has had one and Turner is rated higher? I think the two of them should flip-flop spots.

Turner was a very good RB in San Deigo plus he still had an efficent average per carry last year despite starting slow and playing on a bad ankle. Turner is the center-piece of the position that is the foundation of our offensive attack. Love Sharod White as a player more than most, but I think Turner carries more weight and produces just as much if not a little more consistently.