Former Bulldog goes down - Carolina Panther's Thomas Davis

g-dawg

I loved Thomas Davis at UGA but obviously root against his current team the Carolina Panthers......nevertheless, sorry to see him go down.

Grain of salt needed with offseason news

Panthers LB Thomas Davis tore ACL in November

June 15, 2010

Link

nfl_ap_tdavis1_600.jpg

By Eric Edholm

The sun is shining, and almost everything is glorious in the NFL.

By that I mean that summer, which is almost upon us, is the ultimate time for optimism in football. Injured players are rehabbing, almost universally, ahead of pace. Rookies are looking sharp in minicamps in helmets and shorts. And new coaches are expressing excitement over the challenges that lie ahead.

Not to dampen things, but some perspective is needed.

Take Panthers LB Thomas Davis. A month ago, the Panthers were beaming with the news that Davis, six months removed from ACL surgery, had run a 4.47 40-yard dash in his attempt to return this season. It sounded great. But anyone who has suffered an ACL tear (I have) will tell you that straight-line speed is secondary to cutting and twisting. I was suspicious when I read just how far Davis had come.

Sure enough, Davis suffered another huge blow his second ACL tear, which likely will end his 2010 season. Though the Panthers have yet to place him on injured reserve and are holding out hope he can play at some point, it doesnt look good.

We have to keep that same injury perspective in mind when we hear that Patriots WR Wes Welker and Jets QB Mark Sanchez are doing well, running around, and will be ready for training camp. The Patriots have not said anything on Welker, naturally, as they almost never comment on players injuries. But the optimism over seeing him run around in OTAs has some fans believing Welker will be ready to play from Week One.

Honestly, I doubt it. Just as I tend to doubt Sanchez will be 100 percent, no matter what he or Rex Ryan says. And if Sanchez is spending a good portion of his time this offseason rehabbing and not progressing as a quarterback, the Jets will be a disappointment this year. Mark my words.

The rookie hype machine is in full swing for players such as the Chargers Ryan Mathews and the Cowboys Dez Bryant. The way people are talking, we are looking at a couple of future Pro Bowlers here. And perhaps they are. But before we talk about players putting their teams over the top in their first seasons in the pros, lets think about how many rookies actually have done that recently.

Matt Ryan was great for the Falcons in 2008, and Adrian Peterson was magnificent the year before. But neither player won a playoff game his first season. I think you have to go back to Ben Roethlisberger in 04 to find a rookie who really made the caliber of impact were talking about here. So when you read about Mathews or Bryant or C.J. Spiller or Eric Berry looking great running around in shorts, remember what we are talking about here. Lets see how they fare when the pads come on.

I dont doubt the Redskins are a better team with Mike Shanahan at the helm. And I think having Donovan McNabb alone makes them 2-3 wins better, assuming nothing else on the team improves. But I am not ready to bury the Eagles, a more time-tested and talented team, in their wake just yet. I think Shanahan will realize that even with all of the Redskins ability, they have a lot of holes and a lot of things to figure out when camp arrives. Theres a reason this team constantly dominates the offseason and falls short when the games are played. The previous regime consistently went for the headline-grabbing signings and trades, eschewing the tried-and-true method of building: patiently, through the draft.

This is not meant to be a downer. Surely, some players who are impressing now will carry on and build into great seasons. Some team that has had a good offseason will have a great regular season and playoffs.

And of course, the opposite can be true, too. Teams that are wallowing in seas of bad karma could be ready to break out. Likewise, the news that Logan Mankins wants to be traded might sound awful to Patriots fans who are looking forward to the season, but theres something to keep in mind. These things almost never are as bad as they read when the news breaks, and they seem to work themselves out.

Its all part of the fun of the league, but its also part of the dangerous spring and summer months. The good news seems great, and the bad news seems awful.

But the best news of all? Training camps open in about six weeks. Thats when most of the speculation ends and the real action begins. Until then, question everything you read. It's probably not as good (or bad) as it seems.

Edited by g-dawg

Yep, injuries suck. BTW, didn't this happen about a week ago? Just asking

yeah, i guess it did and I missed it. this article was just written today.....I'm sure I will get pummelled if their was a thread or two on this last week......but this article is new as of today.

If the ligament is torn, then why wait to have the surgery? The longer the wait, the longer they're going to be out of his services. I understand they have to let the swelling down before they operate, but like vabchbirdlover said it happened awhile ago. His knee should be back to it's normal size by now.

Actually, if I remember correctly, he tore it the latter part of last year and

re-injured it bout a week ago.

In other Falcons news, Derrick Morgan seems to be impressing in Tennessee...

Titans like what top pick Derrick Morgan is about

Defensive end's work ethic and dedication to improve is impressive

By John Glennon • THE TENNESSEAN • May 19, 2010

He missed his first opportunity to get on the field with Titans veterans Tuesday, the victim of a hamstring he tweaked Monday.

But if you think defensive end Derrick Morgan's absence raised any flags with the Titans regarding the conditioning or work ethic of their first-round pick, you'd probably be advised to think again.

It's hard to doubt a young man who — less than a week after playing in the Orange Bowl — flew to Phoenix and spent most of the next six weeks participating in rigorous two-a-day workouts prior to the NFL Combine.

It's hard to doubt a young man who became so conscious about his diet during that stretch that — with the help of a nutritionist — he dropped 17 pounds in a month-and-a-half.

"You might bring in 30 guys to interview, plus you interview a lot of kids at the Combine,'' Titans General Manager Mike Reinfeldt said. "You're asking yourself things like, 'What's a guy's work ethic? What's he going to do when he gets paid?'

"With Derrick's mind-set, he was already a pro in a lot of ways. That's a very positive thing when you're going through the draft process because it makes the transition that much easier.''

Many folks recall their 21st birthday as a festive occasion, but for Morgan, it served simply to divide parts of his football career. The Jan. 6 date this year fell one day after Morgan's Georgia Tech team lost to Iowa in the Orange Bowl, and just a few days before he would fly to the Athletes' Performance Institute to join about 15-20 other NFL hopefuls.

"I really wanted to get out there as quick as I could,'' Morgan said. "It's a small window from a late bowl game to the Combine, so I wanted to get out there and get to work.''

Morgan and players including Oklahoma's Gerald McCoy and Jermaine Gresham and Syracuse's Arthur Jones spent the better part of their days pumping iron and running drills.

"We hit it hard,'' Morgan said. "Two workouts a day, from about 8 a.m. to about 4 p.m. It was just a full day's work trying to get right.''

Distractions? There weren't many in Phoenix.

"It was just a lot of mountains and deserts out there,'' said Morgan, a native of Coatesville, Pa. "But that was good. You stayed focused.''

Part of that focus extended to meals.

Morgan remembers his fondness for quarter-pounders as a teenager, when he worked at McDonald's. Those days felt like a lifetime ago after Morgan began working with one of the API's nutritionists.

"I'm always conscious of what I'm eating and putting in my body now because it's really important,'' Morgan said. "I lost about 17 pounds there and most of it was just eating right — changing the way I eat. I was eating a lot more organic and natural foods, and kind of cutting out the junk food and all that.''

Morgan geared his efforts toward the NFL Combine in late February, but he didn't exactly slack off afterward. Only a couple of days later he was back in Phoenix, preparing for his pro day.

Working hard, Morgan said, "has never been a problem at all. I always enjoy getting better.''

Small wonder that he lists sleep as one of his favorite non-football-playing activities.

"You've got to take advantage of down time, especially when you're in a training regimen,'' Morgan said. "You have to refresh your body.''

Unfortunately for Morgan, all that preparation didn't help him much Tuesday, when the strained hamstring kept him from participating in organized team activities. He said he is day-to-day and hoped to be back in action today.

"I'm not hurt too much, so I don't deal with it well,'' Morgan said. "I want to try to get out there as soon as I can — just take care of it in the training room and get healthy.''

The Titans are eager to see the kind of prospect they've landed, of course. Defensive line coach Jim Washburn didn't want to raise expectations too high for Morgan, but clearly likes the rookie's potential.

"People say he's like (Jevon) Kearse. No, he's not like Kearse,'' Washburn said. "(But) he's going to be a good football player. He's tough … He's a hardcore guy. When he puts his hand down, he means business.''

Go Falcons!!!

I hate the Panties, but it sucks seeing guys go down like this. Tough break.

agreed.....I always thought Thomas Davis would have looked good in a Falcon uni....Imagine Curtis Lofton, Sean Weatherspoon and Thomas Davis as Falcon Linebacking Corps - that would be stout!