Chipper leaning toward retirement

Warrior999

What would you think if we resigned Glaus for 3rd and brought Freeman up for 1st. Just thinking out loud.

I think maybe we should test Freeman out at 3B because of Glaus's health issues playing third. He has been totally healthy at 1B and we should try to keep him there if we resign him. Which I hope we do.

I think maybe we should test Freeman out at 3B because of Glaus's health issues playing third. He has been totally healthy at 1B and we should try to keep him there if we resign him. Which I hope we do.

We're assuming Freeman will be ready to come up at the beginning of 2011. He hasn't demonstrated (yet) at Gwinnett that he'd be able to handle major league pitching.

Glaus really is not a bad first baseman either. He handles himself pretty well there for having only played it a handful of times before this year.

I'd be more inclined to go with Brooks Conrad/Omar Infante @ 3rd next year and keeping Glaus at first.

Edited by Testasparo

Mark Bowman reports on the Chipper Jones press conference today.

Essentially, Jones says that he hasn't made up his mind, and won't until the end of the season, although he's leaning toward retirement.

He also says he will not discuss it with the media any more, so it won't be a distraction for the team.

He sounded pretty PO'd that news of his meeting with Cox and Wren leaked out. I suspect it was just a preliminary discussion like "hey, I think there's a good chance I'll retire after this season, what positions could be open for me in the organization?"

It leaked and suddenly he and the rest of the team are getting bombarded with questions.